World Naked Bike Ride in Newcastle broken up by police

Article submitted anonymously to indymedia.org.au
World Naked Bike Ride in Newcastle broken up by police
8.9 km into a 12.6 km bike ride to protest for peace, sustainability and cyclists rights, Police broke up the 7th annual World Naked Bike Ride in Newcastle, NSW Australia.
The group of about 15 bike riders, some clothed and and others naked and decorated in body paint promoting their protest message rode along the Honeysuckle harbor side cycle way, down Hunter St (the main street of the city) and through on o...f the busy the restaurant and cafe precinct of Darby St. The ride was cheered and applauded by members of the public.
Citing an alleged complaint from the public the Police stopped the ride in Bar Beach. A couple participating in the ride were stopped and questioned by Police who indicated further action may result. One gentleman was questioned and asked to get dressed.
Local World Naked Bike Ride Organiser, Marte Kinder, said:
"The actions of the Police were extraordinary given that during the 8 year history of the event in Australia (in 4 states and the ACT) police had been tolerant and accepting and that the community saw it as good natured and innocent fun. After 5000 people stripped naked outside the Sydney Opera House on the 2nd of March 2010 to be photographed by the artist Spencer Tunick and the recent World Naked Bike Ride in Melbourne on Sunday the 6th of March where 150 people rode naked, I would expect the NSW Police would realise that non-sexual public nudity in the name of a good cause is both accepted by the public and legal. Although it is illegal to invade countries and conduct wars of aggression that kill millions to secure oil reserves in neo-colonial wars, criticising those crimes naked (and in the spirit of the Archibald Memorial Fountain) was considered a threat to society by NSW Police. If they could arrest the war criminals who are murdering mother earth with toxic pollution and green house gasses, we would have a better world."

This topic was edited
World Naked Bike Ride in Newcastle

I so agree with you!

This post was edited
RE: World Naked Bike Ride in Newcastle

I'm hoping to do one of the rides in the UK, not beacuse I'm an environmentalist but because I'm a naturist. Hope it doesn't end in any police action!! I don't think it will but you never know!!

I will be wearing a helmet, shoes and shades so not completely naked :)

This post was edited