Odd conversation in the chat room

Yesterday I notice a guy enter the main chatroom who mentioned he was from Ukraine. I said howdy and mentioned that I had visited his country last year and enjoyed myself. We switched to PM to chat away from the clutter. We chatted more about what i saw and i offered nothing but positive feedback. I told him I visited Chernobyl and found it fascinating . I also mentioned i bought a fake driver's license with Putin's face on it on a street corner in Kiev. He told me was in the army and I thanked him for his service, Just like i do when i chat with an American service man or vet. He seemed to take offense at my thank you. Then got really terse and told me to never mention Ukraine or Russia again. I asked him to clarify, did he mean not to chat with him about those subjects ? and he said " no don't ever talk to anyone about Russia or Crimea of Ukraine again. I responded that I would not agree to that order and that I would continue my stories and opinions.

This topic was edited
RE:Odd conversation in the chat room

I wasn't party to the Conversation but it sounds like you unintentionally opened a can of worms , I remember hearing of someone from the US telling someone from Northern Ireland about how much money he had given the IRA, without realising that the person he was telling this to was from the protestant Community who despised the IRA , It's also unwise in the UK to just give thanks to people in the armed forces especially in areas like Northern Ireland where they were deployed and killed innocent civilians like they did in bloody Friday , the Man you spoke to may have been a supporter of the Russian invasion and a member of the Russian Military who now occupy East Ukraine or he may have been a Ukrainian soldier , however this area is a minefield, I have my own views on this conflict which I will keep to myself on here , but I would also add that in this conflict a passenger Jet ( Malaysia airlines flight 17 ) was shot out of the sky by an anti aircraft gun and everyone on board killed , this only happened 6 years ago and is still very raw to a lot of people and Im not sure anyone should give thanks to the soldiers who effectively murdered innocent civilians , the United States is one country Europe isn't and there are still disputes over various parts of Europe , such as Northern Ireland , Cyprus , and Gibraltar to name a few , I won't tell people what they should or should not say but just be aware what could happen , when you poke the bear

This post was edited

thank you for your insight. I think you are on to something when you say he could be a member of the Russian military stationed in Odessa. He seemed to take the most offense to mock driver's license with Putin's image and stats on it. He pointed out that his country would never make a mockery of a president. I would not flash that fake ID in Russia myself but here in the States I do have fun with it. I think him so objecting to me thanking him for his military service is what really caught me off guard. Unless he feels guilty for what he has done? thanks again for your insight.

This post was edited

You're very Welcome I know that in Western Europe , eg the UK, France , and Spain we have disagreements over disputed areas eg Norther Ireland and Gibraltar , however since the Berlin wall came down many parts of Eastern Europe have even more disputes,, remember Bosnia at the beginning of the Century , and many of these disputes still continue and a lot of them are being kept going by interference form Russia on one side and Britain, the United States and other allies in Western Europe , I visited the Soviet Union , Poland and Hungary during the cold war and if I discuss this with people from any of these Countries , all people have been interested I even tell them we went there as my great Aunt was involved in sending support to those countries during WW2 when they were invaded by Germany , no one minds that but I tend not to discuss any further as the reactions range from some Russians and Poles saying they wish they could return to the good old days before the end of Communism to others who tell me I should go back now that their Country has changed from the bad old days , I

This post was edited