RE:Excited Gardening This Year

It's been in the upper 70's here all week so I have been out working hard in the garden. I got the yard all cleaned up and a few of the cold weather plants in the ground like broccoli, kale, spinach and radishes. I hope I'm not too early - we have gotten snows in April before.

This post was edited

Have my garden ready. Tomorrow after mowing in the nude, I will build my anti-deer fence then transplant my seedlings. Cannot wait to have the garden ready. Took me a while but think it is worth it.

This post was edited

Planting my field corn for cornmeal now, and water melons, and maters and peppers and okra and an area of peanuts. the mulch pickerupper is about ready to try out. It's gonna be full time nude gardenin now. I noticed a few york apples on the tree that I put in a couple years ago. All the new one's will have to put on a years worth of growth before they'll start making anything. I cut off all the fruiting branches when I moved them to allow them to build roots back up before attempting to put out a lot of leaves or any fruit.

This post was edited

Wow RuebenT. You must have a mini-farm.

I got my (anti-)deer fence up today. Plants in the ground tomorrow.

This post was edited

I have started seeds indoors. Some of the seeds are starting to sprout. I have to work on the garden to double its size and level it out. Love to work on the garden naturally. Anyone willing to help? ;)I am finishing up a 40ft x 60 fenced expansion, no maters or okra for deer this year.We just now at full bore planting. We are picking collards ever couple day. Have cabbage heading, snap peas are flowering, cauliflower just growing (have never had luck). have 20 maters, 16 cucumbers and 30 bush beans transplanted. Starting pole bean, cucumber, and squash direct seeding and transplanting more tomatoes.Will not catch up until fall ...

Are your pole beans string or Lima? Very difficult to find pole Limas in NJ these days, they were more common some years ago.

This post was edited

We just harvested our first broccoli of the year! If the onions, tomatoes & cabbage keep going...they wont be far behind.

This post was edited

Times have changed for this ole man in 2021. Luann grew up gardening, canning and home cooking. That said my job is to till the garden as I want to contribute in some manner. The gas tiller has wore me out keeping it running so I just got a battery powered mini tiller I didnt have to fight with that dang gas tiller twice a year.

I also got a battery powered lawn mower for out lots at our club instead of pushing a lead sled mower, Dang Im impressed thus far.

This post was edited

Battery powered would work if you had previously gas tilled the soil. For me, I have clay "soil." It is hard to work. Have to wait for it to moisten up before tilling with a shovel. I add lots of leave mulch each year to make it better and better.

This post was edited

Heading out to put a lattice on top of my deer fence. I will tie up my sunflowers, squash and tomatos.

This post was edited

Deer here as you know have become like nuisance pets you don't want. They wander around like it's no thing. To many deer, car hits and to many deer ticks infecting lime disease. If I had it in me to kill something I could easily tag out from the comfort of my warm bedroom window and not sitting in a cold deer stand at 4am.

A garden is a free feeding zone if one does not fend them off in some manner.

This post was edited