Male v Female

I have noticed here and elsewhere that men are more likely to be nudists than women.
Yet, women are more likely to wear very brief or sheer clothing than men.
Any thoughts on this?

This topic was edited
RE:Male v Female

It is not that women are less likely to be nudists, it is that women are present in fewer numbers where self-identifying nudists gather.

Women absolutely do enjoy degrees of nudity [edit: ranging from revealing clothing through full nudity], but it has been my experience that the conditions at many declared nudist areas and events is attractive to fewer women than men. There are many other situations that are not necessarily declared nudist events or areas where women are quite comfortable with levels of undress, and their participation numbers are higher.

Although each individual will have their own reasons, there are consistent factors such as anticipated social reaction and interaction that will play a role in whether a woman (or anyone, really) decides to be present and/or participate in any clothing-optional activity.

Real world example:
I work as both an artist and figure model. There are some people and situations to which some models simply will not expose themselves. The situation may be work-related or social. These models are entirely comfortable in their skin, but they are selective in where and with whom they disrobe.

If nudist organizations wish to increase the number or variety of participants of any gender or identifiable group, they may want to look at how their organization, event, or group is perceived by potential participants, and how that perception affects a decision to participate.

minimalist75 said:

I have noticed here and elsewhere that men are more likely to be nudists than women.Yet, women are more likely to wear very brief or sheer clothing than men.Any thoughts on this?

This post was edited

I have noticed here and elsewhere that men are more likely to be nudists than women.Yet, women are more likely to wear very brief or sheer clothing than men.Any thoughts on this?

As you are a man who has a wife who is not really into being a nudist, you are in the perfect position to answer your own question. Or get her to answer it for you.

Youll get a lot of opinions to your question on this site, but they will mostly from the wrong gender and therefor mostly, wrong.

This post was edited

I have noticed here and elsewhere that men are more likely to be nudists than women.Yet, women are more likely to wear very brief or sheer clothing than men.Any thoughts on this?As you are a man who has a wife who is not really into being a nudist, you are in the perfect position to answer your own question. Or get her to answer it for you.Youll get a lot of opinions to your question on this site, but they will mostly from the wrong gender and therefor mostly, wrong.

My wife is not a nudist, so I to some extent understand that part.
However, she also does not wear revealing clothing in public. My questions was more aimed at why many women wear extremely revealing clothing in public and relatively few are nudists and she can't offer a perspective on that, nor does my understanding of her position help.

This post was edited

Then you have to pose your question to only women who wear such clothing.

As most here are men, they cannot give an answer.

This post was edited

Real world example:I work as both an artist and figure model. There are some people and situations to which some models simply will not expose themselves. The situation may be work-related or social. These models are entirely comfortable in their skin, but they are selective in where and with whom they disrobe.

The best models understand that modeling is all about the pose. Those who are self conscious either need to become more confident and relaxed or they will not last in modeling. Nothing is worse then trying to draw or paint from a model who is nervous or uncomfortable in front of a group of clothed artists. I prefer duo or two model work - male and female - and I have worked with some fantastic female models and also some who are too self conscious and make a real mess out of the modeling situation. Most models are not artists and do not understand that when drawing or painting from life, the real artist is too busy trying to capture whatever image they wish to capture. The rare few who have claimed to be artists and who come to gawk or stare at 'naked people' never last because they get very bored very quickly.

This post was edited

Then you have to pose your question to only women who wear such clothing.As most here are men, they cannot give an answer.

As a man married to a woman who does wear such clothing, I do have some personal insight.

Particularly in the summer, my wife will wear as little as a short onesie and nothing else. She is careful that it is not too "c-thru."
At least initially, that did not mean social nudity came easier to her. It took her several "levels" of acclimatization; about the same as someone habitually more "conservatively" clad.

Although each individual will have their own reasons, there are consistent factors such as anticipated social reaction and interaction that will play a role in whether a woman (or anyone, really) decides to be present and/or participate in any clothing-optional activity.

Fact. My wife would consider "very light clothing" and "complete nudity" in a social setting to be "apples and oranges." Comfort with minimal clothing does not indicate comfort with social nudity.

This post was edited

tl;dr The relevance to the original question of this thread is that a good number of the concerns female figure models raise with regard to figure modeling are the same concerns they have with regard to social nudity. (see list below) Yes, this is stuff we actually do talk about.

There is no shortage of women who enjoy social nudity, just as there is no shortage of female figure models. It is simply that a good number of women who enjoy social nudity do not find nudist venues or groups compelling enough to join.

==========

Sunluver101 wrote:
The best models understand that modeling is all about the pose. Those who are self conscious either need to become more confident and relaxed or they will not last in modeling. Nothing is worse then trying to draw or paint from a model who is nervous or uncomfortable in front of a group of clothed artists. I prefer duo or two model work - male and female - and I have worked with some fantastic female models and also some who are too self conscious and make a real mess out of the modeling situation. Most models are not artists and do not understand that when drawing or painting from life, the real artist is too busy trying to capture whatever image they wish to capture. The rare few who have claimed to be artists and who come to gawk or stare at 'naked people' never last because they get very bored very quickly.

Sunluver101, I can appreciate what you are saying, but I would assert that you are referring to mostly amateur models. Pro models feel no self-consciousness with nudity, and they absolutely do know what challenges an artist faces in capturing an image. Pro models are very aware of lighting, mood, attitude, positioning, and angles. This is what makes them pros.

Here are examples of things that can make a pro model uncomfortable. And, for the record, "uncomfortable" in this case does not mean "squeamish" or "self-conscious" but rather that they feel put out that they have to deal with this BS.

a) creepy artists or models. This accusation makes people really defensive, but the reality is that it comes up so often that there are actual lists of artists and models that almost nobody will work with because they are creepy as hell. The common response of most creepy people is that they are "just trying to be nice."

b) artists or models who think that they are automatically your friend just because they have seen you naked, or vice-versa.

c) artists or models who are handsy, also known as "naked huggers." Seriously, don't touch the model, much less try to hug them.

d) GWP (guy with pencil), which is a variant of GWC (guy with camera), a common predator of nude models. These are people who use their camera or pencil as a means to get you naked for them. They might even be a decent artist or photographer, but that is not why they are there, and it is obvious. note: GWP don't get bored, they will ply their trade for years because there is always a new young model to gawk.

This is only a partial list. I have been doing this for around thirty years and very little has changed in all that time whether we are talking about painting, photography, stage, or film.

I have been working with our local group, Calgary Nude Recreation, for the past three years to establish more inviting events and situations that address these and other concerns. Our membership uptake is very good, and we have written a guide that is available to other groups.

This post was edited

I think there are social conventions. A man wear a suit on official events. A woman is well dressed with the little black one where she show skin. On the other a woman don't want to be seen as a sexual object or a slut when she is naked, Women in common are more interested how they affected on others with their appearance than men.

This post was edited

I've talked to many non nudist women who like to dress in very little while in public about just this.Several comments were said by many.Men should cover themselves,Men will stare at me,I'd never want to be nude with naked men looking at me,Men go to look at nude women and think they are desirable,I'm not in shape for that and most men are not.Then those that have been and will never return to a nudist placeI got hit on,Most of the men were fat and ugly,The number one thing I've heard was, "No way !There will be twenty men and maybe three women"

How did the conversation go after these replies?
I might have said why should men cover themselves? Is that what you really think or is that just what you have been taught and what parts should be covered?
What if the men were dressed? Do you think that would deter them from looking? They are going to at least give you a glance even if both of you are fully dressed.
That may be true of some, but none that I know. I just like the feeling of being naked, and I only want to be desirable to one woman, my wife.
What does the fitness of men have to do with your nudity? If you are not in shape to be nude why do you wear that bikini, low cut top, tight jeans, or what ever revealing item they might have on?

This post was edited

Speaking from my own experience and what I know about my female friends, women enjoy showing enough to get a reaction or a little attention as long as it doesn't go beyond their comfort zone.

On that note: it is also a lot about control. With clothing, women can control how they are perceived. The fashion industry makes this very easy to do, with clothing made for all body types; emphasizing or de-emphasizing the various body parts (namely hips, legs and breasts).

In a naked environment, that control is pretty much gone. Sagging breasts can no longer seem perky with the right bra, cellulite can no longer be disguised by the right compression shorts/pants. This is an unappealing prospect to a lot of women. Oftentimes, it is only after seeing other women being comfortable with social nudity that they reevaluate their need to control their appearance - in a nudist setting.

This post was edited