Naturist Action Committee Alert, Vermont area and to all nudists!

font size="2"**********************************************************************
NATURIST ACTION COMMITTEE
ACTION ALERT
https://www.naturistaction.org/
Copyright 2009 by the Naturist Action Committee, which is responsible
for its content. Permission is granted for the posting, forwarding or
redistribution of this message, provided that it is reproduced in its
entirety and without alteration.
DATE : March 27, 2009
SUBJECT: Vermont Legislation
TO : All Naturists
Dear Naturist,
This is an Action Alert from the Naturist Action Committee regarding a proposed new law currently under committee review in the Vermont
legislature.
BRIEF HISTORY AND DISCUSSION
At the request of a former constituent, Vermont State Representative John Rodgers (D-Glover) has introduced a bill entitled "Prohibiting
Public Nudity on Public Lands." The bill was introduced in the House of Representatives on February 4, and it has been designated "H.154."
It has been referred to the House Committee on General, Housing and Military Affairs, where it remains at this time.
WHAT IS NAC DOING?
NAC has been following this legislation closely since its introduction, and NAC is working with lawmakers and local grassroots activists to
monitor it and assure that it does not become law. WHAT IS NAC ASKING YOU TO DO?
The Naturist Action Committee is asking you to take action. NAC requests that you send a letter, fax or email to each member of the House
Committee on General, Housing and Military Affairs, expressing your opposition to this bill.
WHO SHOULD WRITE OR CALL?
NAC encourages all naturists, regardless of your state of residence, to make your voices heard in this important situation. Of course, the
participation of Vermonters and New Englanders is vital. You may write or call. If you are unable to contact all members of the committee,
at least make sure that you contact the Committee's Chair, Representative Helen Head.
Vermont's economy relies heavily on tourism, and its lawmakers understand the importance of out-of-state visitors who come to enjoy the
state's lakes, rivers and streams. Especially if you live outside of Vermont, it is imperative that you mention your preference for visiting
Vermont's clothing-optional swimming areas.
WHOM TO CONTACT
Send a letter, a fax or an e-mail, or make a phone call to members of the Vermont House Committee on General, Housing and Military Affairs.
Committee members share the same street address, phone number and fax number at their state capital offices in Montpelier. Alternatively,
you may choose to contact the lawmaker's district office.
Rep.(Representative's Name)
State House
115 State Street
Montpelier, VT 05633
TEL (802) 828-2247
FAX (802) 828-2424

Rep. Helen Head, Chair
EMAIL: hhead@leg.state.vt.us
DISTRICT OFFICE
65 East Terr.
South Burlington, VT 05403
(802) 862-2267

Rep. Joseph Baker, Vice Chair
EMAIL: jbaker@leg.state.vt.us
DISTRICT OFFICE
1479 Whipple Hollow Road
West Rutland, VT 05777
(802) 438-9819

Rep. John Moran, Ranking Member
EMAIL jmoran@leg.state.vt.us
DISTRICT OFFICE
58 Hi-Hopes Rd.,
Wardsboro, VT 05355
(802) 896-9408

Rep. Kesha K. Ram, Clerk
EMAIL kram@leg.state.vt.us
DISTRICT OFFICE
31 N. Prospect St.
Burlington, VT 05401
(802) 881-4433

Rep. William F. Johnson
EMAIL -none-
DISTRICT OFFICE
3603 Rte. 102
Canaan, VT 05903
(802) 277-8329

Rep. Brian K. Savage
EMAIL bsavage@leg.state.vt.us
DISTRICT OFFICE
P.O. Box 232
Swanton, VT 05488
(802) 782-9314
(802) 868-3566

Rep. Robert South
EMAIL rsouth@leg.state.vt.us
DISTRICT OFFICE
P.O. Box 206
St. Johnsbury Ctr., VT 05863-0206
(802) 748-0873
(802) 748-5111

Rep. Tom Stevens
EMAIL tstevens@leg.state.vt.us
DISTRICT OFFICE
12 Winooski St.
Waterbury, VT 05676
(802) 244-4164

NAC encourages you to send copies of your faxes and paper mail to:
NAC, P.O. Box 132, Oshkosh, WI 54903.
Send copies of your e-mails to: vermont@naturistaction.org.
When you write or call:
a) Be polite. You have a right to be outraged at the proposed
law, but you will achieve nothing positive by name-calling
or rudeness.
b) Be known. Give your name and address. If you are a Vermont
resident or a frequent visitor to Vermont, point that out.
c) Be focused. Keep your call or your correspondence brief
and on target.
d) Be clear. Say that you OPPOSE H.154.
e) Be prepared. If you call, The lawmaker may not be available,
and you may find yourself able to speak only to a legislative
aide. That's okay. The aide is trained to take your comment
and relay it to the legislator.
Additional talking / writing points:
a) Vermont is known for valuing the personal freedom of its
residents and visitors. House Bill 154 would restrict the
personal liberty of every individual and prohibit the
Vermont tradition of skinny-dipping and sunbathing,
regardless of traditional and benign circumstances.
b) A public opinion poll (the 2006 NEF/Roper Poll, commissioned
by the Naturist Education Foundation and conducted by the
independent Roper polling organization) shows that 25% of
Americans have skinny-dipped in mixed company.
c) In that same poll, an impressive 74 percent of Americans
believe that people who enjoy nude sunbathing should be able
to do so without interference as long as they do so at a
beach that is accepted for that purpose.
/font

This topic was edited
RE: Naturist Action Committee Alert, Vermont area and to all nudists!

This is a prime example of why nudists everywhere should stand together in opposition to further attempts to criminalize such benign activities as nude sunbathing and skinny-dipping and further erosion of our personal liberities. I hope everyone will get involved by writing the members of the Vermont House and registering your opposition to this bad bill. I have already done so and it took less than 10 minutes to email each of the legislators lsited int he NAC announcement. Here is a copy of the text of my email.

To the Honorable Representatives of the State of Vermont

Greetings:

It has come to my attention that a bill has been introduced in the Vermont Hose of Representatives, Prohibiting Public Nudity on Public Lands, designated as H. 154 which proposes to prohibit and criminalize nude sunbathing and skinny-dipping within public lands located in the State of Vermont.

Frankly, I am astounded that the State of Vermont, known for valuing the personal freedom of its residents and visitors would be considering the enactment of such a bill designed to restrict the personal liberties of every individual and prohibit such benign activities as skinny-dipping and nude sunbathing. Given the challenges of the current economic times, it would seem the legislature has more pressingissues to address. Undoubtedly a law of this type would negatively impact on Vermont's tourism industry, an industry that I expect brings in a good deal of revenue to the state.

May I respectfully bring to your attention that a public opinion poll conducted by the independent Roper polling organization showed that 74 percent of Americans believe that people who enjoy nude sunbathing should be able to do so without interference as long as they do so at a beach that is set aside and has signage properly installed advising those who might be offended by nudity that the beach has been designated for that purpose.

I respectfully call upon the Honorable Representatives of the State of Vermont to vote against H. 154. There should always be compelling reason to restrict the personal liberties of citizens within a democratic society. Passage of legislation aimed at prohibiting benign and harmless activities and conduct at the behest of a misinformed, intolerant minority does not meet that definition. I think the current laws on the books of Vermont are more than sufficient to regulate public nudity and "lewd" conduct to protect the sensibilities of the ultra conservative minority within Vermont who find it impossible to distinguish between simple nudity and sexual activity.

Respectfully yours,

This post was edited

Having checked the Vermont Legislature web site, apparently they are so proud of this piece of proposed legislation that they didnt even bother to show the text of the H 154. The page that references the bill tells only that it is a bill aimed at Prohibiting Public Nudity on Public Lands. If I were a resident of Vermont, regardless of my opinion on nudism, Id take it as a personal affront that: (A) The legislature felt comfortable is passing any law respecting the repression of individual liberties on a unilateral basis rather than putting it before the people for a vote - and (B) That the legislature doesnt apparently think the citizens of Vermont even have a right to know exactly what is being considered. Apparently one must go through the trouble and inconvenience of making a freedom of information act request to get the details.

This post was edited

Having checked the Vermont Legislature web site, apparently they are so proud of this piece of proposed legislation that they didnt even bother to show the text of the H 154. The page that references the bill tells only that it is a bill aimed at Prohibiting Public Nudity on Public Lands. If I were a resident of Vermont, regardless of my opinion on nudism, Id take it as a personal affront that: (A) The legislature felt comfortable is passing any law respecting the repression of individual liberties on a unilateral basis rather than putting it before the people for a vote - and (B) That the legislature doesnt apparently think the citizens of Vermont even have a right to know exactly what is being considered. Apparently one must go through the trouble and inconvenience of making a freedom of information act request to get the details.

Unfortunately, Vermont, along with quite a few other states, doesn't participate in the "sunshine laws" or operateunder an "opengovernment" policy. Your letter is excellent and I'll be using it!

Jen

This post was edited

Well done again nuderunr, another great post!

This post was edited
RE: Here's my letter to Vermont

Thanks Valley and nuderunr, I will also be sending the letter out.

Steve

This post was edited
RE: Here's my letter to Vermont

EXCELLENT post and there are some great e-mails here. Hehe...unfortuantlely I can't say the same, but here's what I sent:

To whom it may concern,

Im writing this e-mail in response to a new bill in your legislature, bill H.154, prohibiting public nudity on public lands. While I am not a citizen of your fine country, I am a frequent traveler and plan on visiting various nudist resorts/beaches, including your beautiful state of Vermont. However, as an active naturist I cannot in good conscience visit your state if this bill becomes law. I am fully aware of your concerns in regards to public nudity, however it has been proven in many countries, including the United States of America, that public nudity is by no means a haven for perverts and freaks. We, as a people, are blessed to be living on a continent as free as North America and limiting our freedoms in the way you are proposing is a huge step backwards.

Thank you for taking the time to read my concerns and I hope that yourself and others can see the major drawbacks if this bill comes into law. Including the negative impact to your thriving tourist industry. When the time comes it is my sincere hope that you will vote no to this very limiting bill.

This post was edited
Naturist Action Committee Alert, Vermont area and to all nudists!

i just wanted to give the thread back it's title and to say an extra thanks to our neighbors from the north, Canada,who have taken the time to write to our government.

This post was edited

Anytimie Valley, as this effects us all regardless of where we are from. Hehe...besides, writting people is what we canucklheads are good at, that's how we fight out battles up North. It's too f'ing cold to be holding placecards and marching! :P

This post was edited
Re: Naturist action alert, Vermont area and to all nudists

Here is my email to the Vermont legislators. You only have to write it once, and then resend to the other legislators.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am writing to OPPOSE H 154. As you know, tourism is one of Vermonts biggest industries. My main point in visiting Vermont is to go skinny dipping in your lakes, rivers, and streams, plus nude hiking.

Skinny dipping or nude hiking is just mere nudity, without any sexuality. There is a difference between mere nudity and intentional sexual exhibitionism. I should think there already is a Vermont law against intentional exhibitionism.

In addition, H 154 would be a restriction on our liberties. And it would prohibit the Vermont tradition of skinny dipping and sunbathing. There is something spiritual about feeling the sun, breeze, or water on your bare skin.

According to a Roper poll, 74 percent of Americans believe that people who enjoy nude sunbathing should be able to do so without interference, as long as it is at a beach for that purpose. The same poll shows that 25 percent of Americans have skinny dipped in mixed company.

This post was edited

Anytimie Valley, as this effects us all regardless of where we are from. Hehe...besides, writting people is what we canucklheads are good at, that's how we fight out battles up North. It's too f'ing cold to be holding placecards and marching! :P
not so sure it would be warm enough in Vermont to do any nude marching! but that does sound fun.

This post was edited