Discussing nudism in couples therapy

So my wife and I have been seeing a therapist (nothing major); and up to now nudism has only been brought up fleetingly. But at our last session, it ended up being the main topic. And my wife ended up "unpacking" quite a bit. She'd already shared with me much of it; but she did go a little deeper as to her state of mind and feelings about social nudity.
One thing did surprise me. She admitted to being a little disappointed - in herself - as far as her naked confidence in social situations. She feels that she should be further along - considering her level of nudist experience; but she still feels some awkwardness when "intimately" socializing with other nudists (especially in the hot tub). This feeling has recently been exacerbated now that we have nudist friends at the resort with whom she feels obligated to demonstrate a high degree of comfort being openly naked with - not mention awkwardness when experiencing her first ever post-Covid naked hugs with them.

I always knew that her preference is to just quietly lay out naked with me by the lake, with a good book and a cider; and that social nudity took some effort. What I didnt know was that she was darning herself for not finding it super easy at this point. And our therapist proceeded, in ways that I never could, to give her massive kudos for getting up to this point (empowering her); and to feel comfortable not being 100% comfortable with social nudity yet (self-acceptance). That actually put a big smile on my wife's face; and she reaffirmed her commitment to the nudist life style. A surprising revelation and win!

I'm typically reluctant to recommend couple's therapy. For one, they're not always that helpful. And they do seem to often side with the wife. But a discussion about nudism with a therapist can provide the right environment for a spouse to unpack their feelings about it; as opposed to brushing it off at home. You can right there and then find out what's holding him/her back; or why it might just never be in the cards. It can provide hope - or closure.

Just an idea.

This topic was edited
RE:Discussing nudism in couples therapy

Wow, that's great that your wife is confident enough to open up about her feelings toward social nudism. I remember when you posted the first time that you were dating and then getting serious and how your love of nudism was being discussed. She's come a long way in a relatively short period of time, compared to the vast majority of men with a reluctant spouse. Good for you two.

Way, way back when we actually needed it, I was not in the right frame of mind nor mature enough to see the benefit. We were in our early 20's and I wasn't about to go talk with some stranger about our problems. Although, as I think back, nudism really wasn't a part of our problem.
We hadn't ventured into social nudism until sometime later. Somehow, we survived. It took a while before we got to the open and honest communication part of our life together. I'm lucky that Di will tell me what is bothering her but, I do think she would open up more to a therapist. I think it might take a while before she would open up to a therapist about our lifestyle.

As you well know, I have mentioned this advice to guys with reluctant spouses, to seek professional help. Your visits are a testament to how good for a relationship they can be. Nice to hear the session/sessions have been helpful for you and your wife.

This post was edited

Im really glad it worked for you and opened things up a bit. Anything that moves your relationship forward is a good thing.

This post was edited

Congrats on effective couples therapy. It never worked for me, but likely because both of us weren't committed to the integrity and authenticity required. In your case, it's an example of how multilayered a single moment can be, such as whirlpool chatter or a social hug at a resort. It's great to be aware of unpack all of that and unpack it in a healthy way!

This post was edited