Struggling with a Bookclub Read

My book club has chosen The Portrait of a Lady by Henry James as this month's book. It was first published in 1881 and written in a style that seems superfluous for today. I am going to try to get another Clive Cussler book in there this year!

This topic was edited
RE:Struggling with a Bookclub Read

As an avid reader I always have at least one book going. BUT it is always a book I have opted to read. I like the idea of a book club to discuss a book, but just can't get excited about someone else ( or a group of someones) picking my next read. So I have avoided joining one. I have however joined a writer's group, having a group generated prompt of what to write about is far less restrictive.

This post was edited

Also an avid reader and also have avoided book clubs for the same reason of not wanting to follow the tastes of someone (often self-appointed) who thinks they know what people should read. Sinilarly, too, I participate in the occasional writers' group and also for the same reasons - they don't tell me what to write but they do encourage, critically review, and prompt. All that said, I enjoy Henry James.

This post was edited

I read a lot of older books, and the style of writing before 1900 or so was very florid. Some authors were better about it (Mark Twain, for example, is still quite readable), but many wrote in a style that is almost impenetrable today. So good luck, and keep plugging away at it.

This post was edited

We've had mixed results with book clubs. A couple of them have been great, while another hasn't been so good. Variety is good, so we always look to see what the clubs are reading (even if we are not members) and occasionally find a great read that way. We always have a couple of books going -- and an audiobook for road trips.

This post was edited

quest'estate ho letto di Isabel Allende Lungo petalo di mare :-)

This post was edited