Men's spas with gyms

When I was at Club Fort Lauderdale last winter, most of the men were nude in the pool and hot tub and on the sundeck, but very few were in the gym. I gather from others that this is the usual situation there.
Is it the same at similar at other male only, primarily gay spas?
If so, does anyone have ideas why?
If you go to any of these and are not nude, what is your reason?

This topic was edited
RE:Men's spas with gyms

The only naked gyms I've heard about are at gay men's spas. I've never been to any but it sounds like they're generally empty. I imagine it's because the men who go there aren't generally there to work out. I've also inquired about the days when YMCAs were men only and naked swimming was the norm, and it doesn't seem like men were naked in the gyms at those times, which were limited to weights and bars compared to the machines we have today. In the cases were men worked out naked, it seems like there were some weights near the pool area, but that was uncommon. I've also heard about men walking between their room in residential Y's and the locker room naked, or even wrestling naked, but I've never heard of any Y's of old being nudist outside of the pool or locker room. It doesn't seem that nudism has really been part of an exercise culture, but rather that no clothes were appropriate for activities like swimming but not for most others.

This post was edited

The only naked gyms I've heard about are at gay men's spas. I've never been to any but it sounds like they're generally empty. I imagine it's because the men who go there aren't generally there to work out. I've also inquired about the days when YMCAs were men only and naked swimming was the norm, and it doesn't seem like men were naked in the gyms at those times, which were limited to weights and bars compared to the machines we have today. In the cases were men worked out naked, it seems like there were some weights near the pool area, but that was uncommon. I've also heard about men walking between their room in residential Y's and the locker room naked, or even wrestling naked, but I've never heard of any Y's of old being nudist outside of the pool or locker room. It doesn't seem that nudism has really been part of an exercise culture, but rather that no clothes were appropriate for activities like swimming but not for most others.

There was a Yahoo Group called YMCA Naked that had considerable discussion about men doing all sorts of athletic activities nude at the YMCA and other all male venues in the past, The group apparently didn't migrate to another platform when Yahoo Groups shut down. According to some people in the group, there were Y's where some men did any athletic activity that was available nude, not only swimming, but weightlifting, indoor track, basketball, volleyball, gymnastics, wrestling, etc., One of them mentioned that he always wrestled nude and he thought it intimidated a clothed opponent.

This post was edited

I too would find it difficult to workout naked. It is already difficult for patrons to clean their space after working out clothed. I would go but more for the exhibitionism opportunity.

This post was edited

I too would find it difficult to workout naked. It is already difficult for patrons to clean their space after working out clothed. I would go but more for the exhibitionism opportunity.

Club Fort Lauderdale supplies patrons with large towels that will cover the bench or seat and back of exercise equipment.

This post was edited

Club Fort Lauderdale supplies patrons with large towels that will cover the bench or seat and back of exercise equipment.

You keep asking why they dont work out naked. The answer is very simple.

Ive just checked out their website. Its a hang out place for gay men. No where on their front page does it say its for nudists (nudity being allowed is irrelevant) its not for nudists, its a safe space for gay men to hang out.

So the reasons no one works out nude is because they are not nudists. The fact that they allowed you to work out nude is the bigger question.

This post was edited

Club Fort Lauderdale supplies patrons with large towels that will cover the bench or seat and back of exercise equipment.You keep asking why they dont work out naked. The answer is very simple.Ive just checked out their website. Its a hang out place for gay men. No where on their front page does it say its for nudists (nudity being allowed is irrelevant) its not for nudists, its a safe space for gay men to hang out.So the reasons no one works out nude is because they are not nudists. The fact that they allowed you to work out nude is the bigger question.

The entire facility past the front desk is clothing optional. Propositions and sexual activities are not allowed in common areas, although I gather that the rules are not enforced in the steam room.

I understand what you are saying, but curious to why then everyone is nude in the pool and hot tub and on the sundeck.

This post was edited

. No where on their front page does it say its for nudists (nudity being allowed is irrelevant) its not for nudists, its a safe space for gay men to hang out.

So confused and frustrated by people who insist on making anything related to nudity into nudism. Can we just say one and for all everything nude or even clothing optional is not nudism.

This post was edited

[quote}
So the reasons no one works out nude is because they are not nudists.

Understood. But up to the 70's at least, there were men's athletic clubs that allowed men to work out nude, and I would tend to believe that many of the men who chose to do so were not nudists in the sense that they went to nude beaches and resorts, etc., or were nude in the company of females other than their spouse.

This post was edited

[quote}So the reasons no one works out nude is because they are not nudists.Understood.

I fixed that for you.

This post was edited