The Next Generation

Hi all, if this conversatino goes like anything like previous posts to the forum I run the risk of a lot of negativity and put downs, I hope this won't be the case and it turns into a sensible debate..anyway..my point.

I read an article online a few weeks back (I can't find anymore) that the naturist community is hoping to appeal to a younger new generation of nudists and they stated the community numbers are dwildering. Does anyone else feel this is the case? After reading through some of the forums on here I'm not surprised that the younger community is turned off by some of the negativity that is clearly emulated by some users, it's like our parents squabbling at home. Although I don't claim to be a voice for the youth (I am 34) I do feel the community isn't always tolerant of younger peoples personalities as with every community for us to survive we need to evolve and embrace but most important of all we need to stick to the ideals that make us who we are. And never waver on what being a nudist is about. I go to a regular monthly swim, and I'm clearly one of the youngest ones there and no matter how often I try to join in conversation I feel because I'm younger they're just not interested, I feel isolated but I am persistant as this is a community I want to be part of.
So how do we embrace and appeal to the younger people of the community? If you are young, do you feel the same way? Hope we can get a sensilbe conversatino going for once on this forum instead of it being a place of attack and negativity, there is a good saying going round the uk at the minute, "we're in this together".
Thanks for listening to my waffle

This topic was edited
RE: The Next Generation

Speaking from the young age of 73 I can see your point. While I and I am sure most older people value our nudist youth the generation gap does exist just as it does in the textile world. I enjoy hearing the stories of our youth and feel that they can contribute much to conversations. At the club to which I belong events, sports etc are shared equally between young and older people yet there still exists a subtle separation at other times as youth gravitates towards youth and older to older. To address your other point concerning negativity on this site. It is an unfortunate truth that it does exist here and I don't believe it has that much to do with age. The majority of young people here post intelligent and interesting threads but there is a minority who tend to challenge the very purpose of the site which is nudism, not sex, gender, orientation etc by posting inflamatory threads which then lead to flame wars. Of course there are some older people who do so also but younger people seem to have more of a tendancy to do so. This can be very off-putting to people who find TN as a "true nudist" site then see these type of posts and become disallusioned. You state that to survive we must evolve and embrace our youth and that is very true but you also state that we must stick to our ideals which is also true. How we can appeal to younger people is a subject that many are considering and I feel the only way we can find an answer is to appeal to the younger people to let us know their ideas and to seriously consider implementing them.

This post was edited

The youth of today don't use email or forums at the rate the older generations do.
To encourage activity we need to be where they hang out which typically isn't here. The youth are huge into texting. Obama won the hearts of the youth by reaching out via twitter, facebook and SMS and posting frequently litle snippets to maintain thier awareness/interest.

This post was edited

Younger generations don't want to give up their bathing suits and cloths because bathing suits and cloths are fashionable. Fashion is a big deal for a lot of people. Fashion unlike nudism doesn't accept people for who they are but how they are perceived.
Younger generations don't want to be members of anything. I got into nudism because of my proximity to Gunnison Beach while living in NJ. At this moment in my life I cant imagine joining a club. Also a lot of the clubs that I know off are in the middle of nowhere.
Younger generations are concerned about privacy. We know how digital images can be quickly distributed online.
In general young men want to be where there are young women. Young women however don't want to be where men are trying to see nude women.

This post was edited
Re: The next Generation

Supernatural,
You saw that article front page of Wall Street Journal. My husband Tom talkecd to that reporter around 1 hour. However, he had an agenda trying to make nude recreation look bad and ignore much of the facts. The biggest fact he ignored is demographics. US census age data says 76% of American adults are ages 35-80. That is why there are more of them at nudist resorts. More are alive. Only 16% of adults are in their 20's.
Next he ignored the fact that people ALL THE TIME that hate nudism make it sounds like it is dying. Tom found a Time Magazine online article from 1971 daying that nudism was dying because it was no longer popular with young people.
The fact is most younger people are still pretty insecure with their bodies and looking for sex partners. Once they get into their 30's they start feeling comfortable with themselves being nude, and women are not quite as fashion concious. 30's, 40's, and 50's are prime ages to try nude recreation.
Another thing is younger people are afraid for their jobs, so they don't post that they like nude recreation. We have so many guests that will not friend us on facebook as they don't want a "trail" showing they like nudism. Teachers are especailly afraid for their jobs.
Nudism is growing. However, 1 club can not be all things to all people. Just like int he regular hotel industry certain hotels have reputations as weekend party places and other shave reputations as relaxing vacation resorts, nudism is strarting to have niches like that too.
Next, most younger people I know are creeped out by kids at nudist venues, especially teachers. IMO, that is one of the biggest things holding back nudist resorts.
Have a great 4th of July holiday everyone.

MC

This post was edited
RE: The next Generation

This is partly an overblown and partly a real issue. Been to so few nude spots outside Europe that following applies only to the old continent:

1. Nude resorts. Most nude resorts are not easy access (not located in/near popular resort towns nor very accessible without a car/camper van) nor budget. Many easiest/best enjoyed with camper van or tent, youth nowadays rarely camps nor is financially ciable for older generation behicles like camper vans. Resorts often feel to younger generation like geriatric camps and there simply not too many other youth to mix in. Most resorts not much for the party people, either - and young folks like to party. Also the access and control issues, like membership requirements, general crave of nudity whereas many young people like to be nude when they feel and in clothes when they feel. That said, the few resorts that do combine active night life nearby/within premises and budget accommodation are fairly popular among younger generation so it is largely a market issue as well. Most resorts like to focus on 40-80 yr olds as they have money, no debts, they do not disturb others with loud parties and the ones over 55 often on early retirement so they stick around entire season.

2. Nude associations/clubs. Many young people simply shy off commitments of permanent kind and memberships often seen as such.

3. Nude beaches. Depends a beach. Youth often have issues with self-image, so many who not used to nudity definitely would not feel comfy being nude on a clothing optional beach (they wear swimsuit/trunks and I am not - are they laughing at me?) Also in many places nude beaches not "in" and young ones go to the beaches that are "in". If a nude beach becomes "in", it also shows in generation structure of its patrons.

4. Broader trends in society. Society since late 1980's has steadily grown somewhat more conservative about nudity, though same time in some aspects nudity has become more "everyday" thing. Already mentioned in the thread is the fashion issue. That often is definitely what matters, if textile is perceived cool and nude not, then textile it goes. Prejudices do play a role as well. If in a friendship circle an opinion leader suggests that "let's go to a nude beach or skinny dipping" it is often accepted and not taken as a huge thing.

5- Power of numbers. The big generations were in Europe born in 1940's and 1950's, since 1960's in most countries generations considerably smaller, so this also bears a significant role. Over 50-yr olds are well-represented for the fact of their sheer numbers. Socioeconomic position and increased spare time adding to that.

So same time there are dwindling numbers of youth going to designed nude spots, there are many youth who open to be nude whenever it feels OK for the situation. It just comes out to the point how to attract more young people to designated nude spots/events.

This post was edited

I think that most young people see the lifestyle as "Wierd" & associate it with sex!! We need to break that association!

This post was edited

FFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUU---

How many people under 21 are talking about this thing? I certainly would feel a bit off if I was at a resort with a bunch old people 30 and up. Sure we can talk about politics and sports, but what if I want to talk about the coolest musician or something?
And I was never a very hip and cool person so I don't try to be one. I just try not to be overly lame. I am not a party animal. I'd probably have more fun at a nudist resort with older people than at a party where everyone calls me a loser for being straight edge.

How many older people even know what straight edge is?

This post was edited

I know what straight edge is......loser! Haha!

*Face palm* This guy ^

This post was edited

FFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUU---How many people under 21 are talking about this thing? I certainly would feel a bit off if I was at a resort with a bunch old people 30 and up. Sure we can talk about politics and sports, but what if I want to talk about the coolest musician or something?And I was never a very hip and cool person so I don't try to be one. I just try not to be overly lame. I am not a party animal. I'd probably have more fun at a nudist resort with older people than at a party where everyone calls me a loser for being straight edge.How many older people even know what straight edge is?

X marks the spot

This post was edited

Another big thing I think kills it for nudism is that they don't seem to offer much to do. "Come and just sit and be naked with us" sounds both creepy and boring. There needs to be in my opinion a much better marketing strategy.
I agree boredom is a huge factor. Youth are multi-taskers that are bombarded with information from multiple sources, they have all sorts of entertainment choices we naver had growing up. Sitting around a pool doesn't sound very interseting in comparison.

This post was edited