Naked at the onsen tonight

Looking forward to visiting various onsens this weekend. The first two I have planned require visitors to be nude.

This topic was edited
RE:Naked at the onsen tonight

Your post sent me to Google, where I learned that there are thousands of osens in Japan, and that they are mostly "nudity required." The Japanese feel that cloths, even swimsuits, are "dirty" and must not be used in the baths. Wish we were as free here in the US! I remember reading once what the difference is between the US and Japan; In the US, we bathe in order to get clean. In Japan, they get clean in order to bathe.

This post was edited

I frequent 'authentic Korean spas' whenever I can. An authentic spa requires nudity in the wet areas (steam room, sauna and hot tubs). They seem very similar to the osens you mentioned.

This post was edited

It is not only in the Far East that such bathing occurs.
I visited my first European spa hotel last weekend and the clothing rule was that nudity was compulsory throughout the spa area except for the spa restaurant where a bathrobe (and nothing else) was required.
However, the hotel had conference facilities and wished to attract business from multinational organisations so, to comply with anglophone prejudices, swimsuits were required on the three midweek business days of Tuesday to Thursday. Naturally, we were there from Friday to Monday.

This post was edited

The Blue Lagoon volcanic spa in Iceland insists on naked showering to prevent oils and other contamination getting in the untreated water. It is a wonderful experience and worth a visit. The water gets hotter as you approach the middle. It is closed right now, because of the volcanic eruption, but well-worth a visit when it re-opens.

This post was edited

Onsen is the reason why I pursued becoming a nudist. I visited Japan for 3 consecutive years and Onsen is the first thing I wanted to experienced. For those 3 years, I visited more than 20 Onsens and I must say that I enjoyed the public one than the private one. All the onsen I visited, nudity is a MUST. Thats why I enjoyed visiting Onsen. Exactly the same concept with the Korean spas. Nudity is a must on the mens locker room to the shower room, wet spa and hot tub. The only time that you are expected to wear the uniform they provided you is when you go the common room which is usually co-Ed.

The person who commented that Japanese get clean to bathed is right because you have to take a shower first with full shampooing and soaping your whole body before soaking to any of the hot pools. They will also give you a face towel and by rule thumb, that face towel is not allowed to touch the water in any of the pools because that will introduce some bacteria in the pool water. I enjoyed both the Onsen and the Korean spas. Too bad here in the US, the Korean spas are frequented by predators who are cruising for sex rather than just enjoy the bath.

This post was edited

The Blue Lagoon volcanic spa in Iceland insists on naked showering to prevent oils and other contamination getting in the untreated water. It is a wonderful experience and worth a visit. The water gets hotter as you approach the middle. It is closed right now, because of the volcanic eruption, but well-worth a visit when it re-opens.

Is there any nudity at the Blue Lagoon outside of the mens locker room/shower? In some Nordic spas they have a post-spa relaxation area for example off the locker room where clothing is optional.

This post was edited

Too bad here in the US, the Korean spas are frequented by predators who are cruising for sex rather than just enjoy the bath.

Too bad indeed that one reason not attracted to those spas.

This post was edited