Brits...Care to enlighten me on the law supporting this?

https://menmedia.co.uk/manchestereveningnews/news/s/1426530_bizarre-case-of-naked-gardener-80-who-wore-nothing-but-a-hat
An 80 y/o living in Britain, and a long time nudists, was arrested and charged with 3 counts of indecent exposure, to which he pleaded guilty, he was forced to sign the sex offenders registry, is under house arrest (forced to stay indoors from 4pm until dark).
Is it true, that nudity is viewed as indecent exposure (and a sexual offense) in Britain? Does this not sound a bit harsh?

This topic was edited
RE: Brits...Care to enlighten me on the law supporting this?

The short answer is 'yes', but there is an element of discretion that differs between police forces across the UK. Also, it depends if someone complains and states that they are 'disturbed, distressed, frightened, traumatised, outraged, shocked, offended....etc' by the nudity. In such cases, prosecution would almost certainly follow. Bet you didn't realise that the UK was still living in the Dark Ages?

This post was edited

Too bad it's always freezing cold! Of course, if summer falls on a weekend this year you could have a nice nude BBQ.

This post was edited

The solution: live where the neighbors (or neighbours in the UK) aren't close enough to be "disturbed, distressed, frightened, traumatised, outraged, shocked, offended....etc" by one's chothes-free state.
Unfortunately, not many of us have that luxury over here. There are rather a lot of Brits crammed into a fairly small space. Next time you have a map handy, take a look at Vancouver Island, off the west coast of Canada. That's about the same size as England where we have a population of about 50m. consequently, space is very limited, especially in towns and cities and most of us are overlooked by our neighbours.

This post was edited

Just to confuse the issue about legal nudity in the UK further. There are differing laws to work to: one set for Scoland and another set of laws for England, Wales and Northern Ireland.
I am not sure of the specifics, but my understanding is that with the English version you are okay to be nude until you are asked to cover up (therefore not automatically assumed to be offending folks). Whereas the Scots assume your nudity WILL offend someone; therefore it is not allowed.
This difference apparently is what has caused the naked rambler Stephen Gough problems - he was okay for most of his journey through England; but came up against problems with no signs of release. Simply because he will not compromise by putting on clothes.

This post was edited

https://menmedia.co.uk/manchestereveningnews/news/s/1426530_bizarre-case-of-naked-gardener-80-who-wore-nothing-but-a-hat An 80 y/o living in Britain, and a long time nudists, was arrested and charged with 3 counts of indecent exposure, to which he pleaded guilty, he was forced to sign the sex offenders registry, is under house arrest (forced to stay indoors from 4pm until dark). Is it true, that nudity is viewed as indecent exposure (and a sexual offense) in Britain? Does this not sound a bit harsh?

I don't know about this story, but there is a link on my blog to a BBC story that may help.

This post was edited

As far as I am aware and please don't quote me on this - nudity is not illegal it's what you do with nudity that may cause you to come into contact with the Law. However, using nudity to "harass, alarm, disturbor distress" others is an offence against the Public Order Act of 1986. In practice, this means that if you are nude, minding your own business and practicing good nude beach etiquette on a beach that is unofficial but, by common consent, considered to be a nude beach, you are unlikely to have any problem. If someone - a Policeman or a Member of the Public - asks you to cover up, you must do so or you could be arrested. As regards being nude within your own garden I have always been led to believe that provided you have taken every precaution possible to make it difficult for neighbours to view your activities then that is ok. If the neighbours have seen you naked they will have had to go to some considerable lengths to make this observation. Screens, thick hedging and strategically placed washing lines are all methods that can be employed to protect your activities from the Public Eye - from what I am to believe - and again - please do not quote me on this as I may have got it wrong! I have looked on the Internet for guidance on these issues and much of my information here is from what I have learned from it.

You are correct that nudity of itself is not an offence and that the 'causing distress or offence' is the bit that is used to bring cases against people. Although the guy is in his eighties and, as reported by the press,generally going about normal day to day activities, such as changing a wheel, he was at the front of his home. Personally I think a quiet word with him from his neighbours or the police was all that should have happened but in the target driven UK police of today he was just too easy a catch. The treatment of him was outragious and a waste of public money in these difficult times.

This post was edited

The short answer is 'yes', but there is an element of discretion that differs between police forces across the UK. Also, it depends if someone complains and states that they are 'disturbed, distressed, frightened, traumatised, outraged, shocked, offended....etc' by the nudity. In such cases, prosecution would almost certainly follow. Bet you didn't realise that the UK was still living in the Dark Ages?
The short answer is NO. Nudity of itself is neither indecent exposure nor an offence. You are correct about causing distress etc creating the problem for the nudist. Unfortunatly there is no defintion of what level of 'offence or distress' has to be caused so people can claim to be distressed by a nude person just to cause trouble for that person.
He did not help himself though by being naked at the front of his house.

This post was edited

There is indeed a difference between Scotland the other UK countries.

This post was edited