"WARNING PRIVACY NOTICE: Any institutions using this site or any of it's
associated sites for studies or projects- You DO NOT HAVE my permission ..."
Of course, that should be "... any of ITS (not IT'S) associated sites ..."

This topic was edited
RE: WARNING PRIVACY NOTICE: a grammar point

Really? A thread for this?

This post was edited

Please remember that this is an international forum. There are differences in spelling and in some grammatical usage between English speakers who are members here and also there are many who do not have English as their first language. Please do not nit-pick. So long as the message is understood there should be no problem. Would you understand the difference between "Is mise San" and "San is a m" ( I am San) if you were posting to a Gaelic website? I am sure members of that site would not worry overmuch which you would use as it would be understood.

This post was edited

It is true that international members do use differenct grammar, but not for "it's".
Its means belonging to it.
It's means "It is".
Definitely be aware that people speak differently, but also lend a helping hand when someone does spell words incorrectly and you suspect they actually don't know that it is wrong, but have some tact. Send the person a message directly rather than calling them out in the forum. Let them correct it themseles after that.

This post was edited
Grammer

I don't suppose your a teacher are you??

This post was edited

I orways do tri mi best tu spel mi wurds rite.

This post was edited

OK Lets worry more about the pervs and trolls and give those of us who don't speak quite properly or spell all that well a break. Well put Jack lets be tolerant of the small things.

This post was edited
RE: Grammer (GRAMMAR!!!!!!!!!)

Harry Covert: from your Profile page
About Me
Hey there! I could say I'm fun and friendly... but you'll just have to figure that out on your own.. Then, I'll come back later and say, "I told you so." :) (RUN ON) (New topic) I'm addicted to humor. There's so much pain and chaos in the world, and I choose to laugh instead of getting caught up in it. I have eternal Peter Pan Syndrome. I believe that the differences in people are what make them beautiful - and those things should be celebrated instead of condemned. (New topic) All of God's world is amazing - including the beaches, butterflies, and humans - and the best way I know to celebrate these things is to appreciate them unhindered and naked - as they are intended. (RUN ON)

The sentence structure in this paragraph is unconventional at best. At the worst, the structure sucks. Three ideas are presented in one paragraph. I thought we all knew better.
How can I say it?.....oh, RUN ON Sentences? Wow. The arrow points at the accuser, my friend. What's this - (dash) crap used several times in one sentence? The remainder of the violations are too numerous to mention.

This post was edited
RE: Grammer (GRAMMAR!!!!!!!!!)

Language is a tool, we use it to move ideas from one person to another. Like any tool, you need to learn how to use it properly. While you can certainly get away with using "its" for "it's" and "your" for "you're" and the reader will generally understand what the writer means, there are times when what is read is not what was meant by the person who wrote it. If you don't believe me, take a look at Lynn Truss's 'Eats, shoots and leaves'.
Many people misuse language as we've all misued other tools at some time. You might try to use a small chisel to remove a screw but you'll probably make a reall mess of things and damage the chisel into the bargin and misusing langage is no better.
And it's not like they're difficult things to remember; most of the time people are just lazy and don't think about what they're doing.

This post was edited
OK - enough of this. Text entries in forums have a lesser standard than formal

OK, so the last two posts make my point. The rule here is to use text-speak spellings and truncated words, and retain readabilityand comprehension. My beef with the original post is that the text of his profile contains many grammatical and linguistic "faux pas". The pointer remains toward the originator. When throwing stones,........ Hey, this is not meant to be a serious language critique. The objective is to communicate......

This post was edited
RE: OK - enough of this. Text entries in forums have a lesser standard than formal

The objective is to communicate......
Exactly. But when the "communication" fails because the language is inadequate or deliberately obtuse, who gains?

No one, we all lose.

This post was edited