The Troll Roll

Fellow TNers: Its clear now that no matter what safeguards are put in place, people who have too much time on their hands will troll. Its simply a fact of virtual life.

These trolls flame us and we fight back. But when we do so, we simply give them ammunition to continue. Therefore, I humbly make the following suggestion:

When a troll has been identified, STUDIOUSLY AVOID EVERYTHING HE OR SHE WRITES. Just flag and invite others to do so. The only posted response to a troll posting should be flagged. Thats all. No comment, no protest; at most, add a little image that stands for troll alert.

The trolls enjoy making us react. Theyre very good at setting snares and making us give them more attention than theyre worth. But only we can decide to temper our actions. Only we can decide to resist the urge to challenge them on some point or another. It is a trolls nature to react to the challenge, although they will rarely actually take it up.

If a troll is not having fun, he may start to lose interest, which is a good thing. The troll's worst enemy is the audience of one, himself. Lets at least give it a try.

This topic was edited
RE: The Troll Roll

For relative newbies... can you define Troll? I think of a troll as an old curmudgeonly overweight hairy guy who lives under a bridge.

This post was edited

If that's the case, perhaps we need more of them?

This post was edited

Some people see a troll as:
One who purposely and deliberately (that purpose usually being self-amusement) starts an argument in a manner which attacks others on a forum without in any way listening to the arguments proposed by his or her peers. He will spark of such an argument via the use of ad hominem attacks (i.e. 'you're nothing but a fanboy' is a popular phrase) with no substance or relevence to back them up as well as straw man arguments, which he uses to simply avoid addressing the essence of the issue.
Well, if that's the definition, perhaps we need less of them.

This post was edited

Agree with Natives Post on this one. I too will flag someone who is behaving badly either through their words or actions. I want this site to be what it is intended to be; a place to meet other true nudists who discuss the nudist lifestyle, share similar interests, and might possibly want to meet some day. I will not give the "troll" any more thoughts then need be.

This post was edited

Feeding Trolls is easy, they are hungry!
What they dont like is reasoned argument and a reasonable attitude. When you persistently ingore their name-calling and return them to their ignorant and immature reasoning they wither, shrink and poof - gone!

This post was edited

Perhaps we could come up with some snipit saying something to the effect of: This line of dialog is not cunductive to the ideals of nudism, or the atmosphere we wish to maintain in the forum, all true nudists please refrain from commenting further.
Then the first rational person who sees the troll's post can copy/paste and hopefully that would disuade others from feeding the troll.
Of course expecting people on the internet to act rationally is somewhere along the lines of herding cats.

This post was edited

For relative newbies... can you define Troll? I think of a troll as an old curmudgeonly overweight hairy guy who lives under a bridge.
As an old, curmudgeonly, overweight, hairy guy, I wish to take exception to this definition.
And no, I do not live under a bridge.

This post was edited
Feel free......

......to copy and paste this award as a reply to those deserving.

This post was edited

oh good more mall cops
Yes it IS good, I'm glad you agree. It will be the best improvement that all TRUE nudists could wish for.

This post was edited

Fellow TNers: Its clear now that no matter what safeguards are put in place, people who have too much time on their hands will troll. Its simply a fact of virtual life. These trolls flame us and we fight back. But when we do so, we simply give them ammunition to continue. Therefore, I humbly make the following suggestion: When a troll has been identified, STUDIOUSLY AVOID EVERYTHING HE OR SHE WRITES. Just flag and invite others to do so. The only posted response to a troll posting should be flagged. Thats all. No comment, no protest; at most, add a little image that stands for troll alert. The trolls enjoy making us react. Theyre very good at setting snares and making us give them more attention than theyre worth. But only we can decide to temper our actions. Only we can decide to resist the urge to challenge them on some point or another. It is a trolls nature to react to the challenge, although they will rarely actually take it up. If a troll is not having fun, he may start to lose interest, which is a good thing. The troll's worst enemy is the audience of one, himself. Lets at least give it a try.This is a good idea. I've done it and it works! As A man, it's hard to take a hit to the jaw in public and do nothing. As a strong man you can take the hit without interruption

This post was edited