Shaving

Howdo you stop ingrownhairs from happending when you shave? I get at least 5 or 6 that do and not only is it annoying, but it doesn't look very good when you have thoseredmarks down there.

This topic was edited
RE: Shaving

That's the one thing I hate about shaving. I just deal with it the first 2 or 3 days after the shave. Oh well !

This post was edited

There are a couple things you can do to try to prevent the red bumps and/or ingrown hairs.
If you're going to shave with a razor, and the hair is natural length, cut it to between 1/8 and 1/4 inch long. Wet the hair with hot water. Use shaving cream; enough to cover but not overload. Pull the skin taut, and shave in the direction of the hair growth (yes, it does have a general direction, so pay attention to the direction the majority of the hair is growing). Use short strokes. Rinse the blade often. After you've shaved, rinse, and pat dry. Do not rub with the towel. Also when you shower for the next day or so, wash gently, and pat dry. Do not wear tight fitting clothes, so commando or boxers, but not briefs. There are products that help reduce razor irritation. Generally the ladies that work in the drug store cosmetics area can help you out, just tell them you're looking for something for razor irritation. Don't worry, you don't have to go into specifics. :)
Also, black men tend to get razor irritation, just due to the nature of their facial hair, so there are also products specifically for their shaving needs which may help. Follow the directions of the container, and then continue from the pat dry above.
Your hair needs to be between 1/8 and 1/4 inch. If you do get itchy, don't scratch. Yeah, I know, easier said than done. Use powder (Goldbond or ordinary talcum). If you do happen to get a bump, leave it alone. If you have the razor irritation product, use it.
Finally, there is the option of waxing (at a salon/day spa). Although not all salons wax men. It's up to the aesthetician. So, if you decide to try waxing, call around to see if they do brazilian waxes on men. How much it hurts depends on your pain tolerance.

This post was edited

Howdo you stop ingrownhairs from happending when you shave? I get at least 5 or 6 that do and not only is it annoying, but it doesn't look very good when you have thoseredmarks down there.The best way I found was to exfoliate, exfoliate,exfoliate. The dead skin that builds up is what causes the ingrown hair. If you exfoliate a couple time a week it will remove the dead skin. That will allow the hair to grow through and no red bumps or ingrown hair. I use a axe scrubber and nivea face scrub. It works well. There are also different scrubs you can use.

This post was edited

Maybe it stops after a few years of shaving but I don't remember having that problem. I make sure I use a good quality razor and have only had a problem when I use a cheap bic.

This post was edited

Howdo you stop ingrownhairs from happending when you shave? I get at least 5 or 6 that do and not only is it annoying, but it doesn't look very good when you have thoseredmarks down there.It is best not to wear any clothing for at least 24 hours after shaving, but if you have to, then make sure it is loose fitting. Tight clothing or anything pressing against the skin after shaving, can cause ingrown hair.

This post was edited

I have shaved for years, and found the day after shaving if i scrub the shaved area with a bath brush that stops me getting ingrown hairs

This post was edited

I've been thinking about getting waxed. The spa that I researched says that exfoliation twice a week is the key to avoiding ingrown hairs. I would assume that people who shave would benefit from exfoliation as well. I know that when I apply lotion/moisturizer to my skin it looks and feels tons better..the redness and irritation are greatly reduced.

This post was edited

How do you stop ingrown hairs from happending when you shave? I get at least 5 or 6 that do and not only is it annoying, but it doesn't look very good when you have those red marks down there.Soak in hot water first, trim first, shave with the grain. I also noticed after I started Trialaser treatments, the hairs became much softer, and I rarely had that problem anymore, and was in fact able to shave against the grain for a closer shave. Of course, I'm hoping that by the end of this winter, once I get back into the full treatment regimen, I won't have to shave but once every blue moon. The effect was noticable after the first two treatments. May be something to look into, just to soften the hairs, if not get rid of them completely.John aka cobeachbum

This post was edited

Howdo you stop ingrownhairs from happending when you shave? I get at least 5 or 6 that do and not only is it annoying, but it doesn't look very good when you have thoseredmarks down there.I found when I was starting out that using a clean new blade helped to reduce that. Also used king of shaves product especially their shaving oil which helps to keep the shave close and that alsomhelpsto reduce it

This post was edited

permanent removal with IPL helps also very good

This post was edited