Avoid embarrassment

Hi I'm new to nudity and can get turned on very easy. I don't want this to happen when I eventually go nude around people. Any advice for not getting turned on. This happened to anyone else??

This topic was edited
RE: Avoid embarrassment

When you are around people, make eye contact. Smile. (If you ever chance to see photos of turned-on guys, they are never smiling - it's a physiologically different state.) Keep moving.
Worry about getting visibly aroused can cause the arousal - so, don't worry. There's a standard set of things to do, in the nudist context, depending on where you are, what's happening physically, who is around, and how close. Sit down. Turn or walk away. Get into water. Roll over. Pull a towel into your lap. If you are, say, in mid-volleyball-game - smiling, active, fully participating, and none of these alternatives is available, then assume no one notices, and they will probably just let it go if they do. (That's not "official" advice - but, really...)
There's a different issue with dozing off, especially when there are women around, who really don't get the sleepy-time phenomenon - you might pull away from the crowd if you want to fall asleep in the sun.

This post was edited

Hi Gareth,This must be the number-one concern of males enjoying social nudity, but it's good you raise it (sorry for the pun), as it is a serious concern. Being ashamed of an erection seems to be a built-in response, of which we become aware at puberty. It's a shame, because an erection is something wonderful, beautiful and totally natural about which we should feel happy and not embarrassed. (When you're long in the tooth like me you're happy that it still happens!)Anyway, I totally agree with our friend from Hawaii. In fact, the more you are naked with other people doing the normal things people do, but simply without clothes, the more totally natural it becomes and the less your body will respond in this way. It could become a downwards spiral - you're afraid it will happen so you avoid social nudity and then it's more likely to happen when you are naked with others. So, again, turn this into an upward spiral - be naked with others as much as possible, follow Hawaii's advice and you'll see that it's a problem only if you think about it/make it one. One extra tip, just in the beginning and to reduce the chance of an erection anyway - wank off before you go to a nudist gathering! Masturbation is also a taboo and also something about which shame seems to be inborn or at least imposed when it becomes a topic. But almost everyone does it and why not. I assume I'm not embarrassing you by suggesting it (sorry if this is not the case, but it's meant helpfully), and it can help for the situations you're worried about until experience takes over. One last thing - I realize you're relatively young, and you say yourself that you're new to naturism, but this is a site for naturists, so please feel confident enough about your body to post a nude shot or two, even if you need to use the self-timer for this. You'll get many positive responses (and many more than with simply a clothed shot). Go for it!I wish you much pleasure and fulfilment with your naturist lifestyle!Greetings from Gerald

This post was edited

When you are around people, make eye contact. Smile. (If you ever chance to see photos of turned-on guys, they are never smiling - it's a physiologically different state.) Keep moving. Worry about getting visibly aroused can cause the arousal - so, don't worry. There's a standard set of things to do, in the nudist context, depending on where you are, what's happening physically, who is around, and how close. Sit down. Turn or walk away. Get into water. Roll over. Pull a towel into your lap. If you are, say, in mid-volleyball-game - smiling, active, fully participating, and none of these alternatives is available, then assume no one notices, and they will probably just let it go if they do. (That's not "official" advice - but, really...)There's a different issue with dozing off, especially when there are women around, who really don't get the sleepy-time phenomenon - you might pull away from the crowd if you want to fall asleep in the sun.Very sound advice.

This post was edited

I think the real question to answer is, "what don't you do when you get an unplanned erection?" The answer is don't try to finish yourself off in front of others. No erection lasts forever, so let it subside. Any man knows what is going on, and most women who are nudists do too. Your body and blood flow are responding to a stimulus.
If anyone is offended by how you look when nude, then they aren't TrueNudists. How you act when nude... that is a different story. Play it cool, and you will get friends. Act like an idiot, and people will leave you behind. Just like when you are dressed.

This post was edited

I remember how scared I was the first time I went to a nude beach, but in fact nothing happened. Now that I am over 50 erections never pose a problem. In my thirties it happened once or twice that I had to hide or quickly run into the sea. Human beings are sexual, especially when we are naked, and unlike animals, our "breeding season" is all year :) Possibly this erection problem is greater for single men as our sex-life often is together with "Mrs. Right Hand"...
My only advice for young men is to relax, and be ready to hide. Bring a towel or be ready to lie on your stomach. And don't touch yourself other than applying sun-lotion.

This post was edited

It took awhile to get used to it, but eventually I didn't get erections when I got naked. I know that if it does happen in public, flip on the stomach to cover it up.

This post was edited

I am relatively new to the nudist community as well and when i first started going to nudist locations and events I was also worried about the same thing but you will be surprised that when you are in these great nudist community places how normal you feel being naked and it just doesn't happen. If it does happen just cover up, turn away or even ignore it and focus on your conversation or activity. A couple of the nudist clubs i frequent even have a disclaimer about this issue. "it is natural for men to get erections if it happens, as long as there is no masturbation it's not a problem". I know i get erections sometimes when I'm really happy or excited :) I try not to worry too much and have fun
Cory

This post was edited

I am relatively new to the nudist community as well and when i first started going to nudist locations and events I was also worried about the same thing but you will be surprised that when you are in these great nudist community places how normal you feel being naked and it just doesn't happen. If it does happen just cover up, turn away or even ignore it and focus on your conversation or activity. A couple of the nudist clubs i frequent even have a disclaimer about this issue. "it is natural for men to get erections if it happens, as long as there is no masturbation it's not a problem". I know i get erections sometimes when I'm really happy or excited :) I try not to worry too much and have funCoryWell I've been going to nude beaches for about 15 years now and I don't worry so much about that now as I first did. Yeah, I still sometimes feel a little tingle down there, especially when I first take off my shorts and sit down on my blanket. But it's normal. I've learned to not obsess over it or get embarrassed or worried anymore. I just lay down. And if it gets a little semi, I've realized that among the sea of other nude beach enthusiasts, no one is going to notice. But if it goes beyond that, well I can always flip over or cover myself with my board shorts that are nearby. But I haven't had to do that yet. It seems as I get acclimated to my surroundings, the feeling goes away quickly and I can just enjoy being free.

This post was edited

Maybe my age, but I've never gotten an erection at a nude beach or club, even when surrounded by and being touched by beautiful women. Not to say I would not have if in a different setting with those same women. (It was non-sexual touching, just friendly hugs, etc.) If I did, I would just cover it with my towel until it went back to sleep...Well said, Widgeon. How nice it is to have someone here with normal thoughts. And I don't think it's anything to do with your age. There are far too many here of all different age,who just don't know how to behave in normal society.

This post was edited

Maybe my age, but I've never gotten an erection at a nude beach or club, even when surrounded by and being touched by beautiful women. Not to say I would not have if in a different setting with those same women. (It was non-sexual touching, just friendly hugs, etc.) If I did, I would just cover it with my towel until it went back to sleep...Well said, Widgeon. How nice it is to have someone here with normal thoughts. And I don't think it's anything to do with your age. There are far too many here of all different age,who just don't know how to behave in normal society.These two should be awarded 'best thing said' in this thread.

This post was edited