RE:Illinois Beach State Park

Cool - thank you both for the updates. The board has been quiet so I was worried it was getting worse there but I guess no news is good news.

This post was edited

2020 - anyone make it out there yet this year? What's it like?

This post was edited

I called to find out their opening status.
You can walk on the beach, you can't sit on the beach.

Going off trails to sun in the dunes has always been frowned upon strongly.

I'm thinking my best bet might be Hosah Park, just between the state property and the old nuke plant. They've lost almost all their beach though.

This post was edited

Omg I would love to go up there on day

This post was edited

Thank you for the info MXQ. I bet they are limiting use due to Corona by saying no sitting like some of the parks and beaches on the east and west coast have done. This is going to wind up being a no-tan summer for me :(

This post was edited

How come you can't sit on the beach?

Virus transmission is tired to prolonged exposure. If you keep moving you're unlikely to pass or receive sufficient virus. So sitting, picnicking, etc are banned in many places. But especially away from the main beach, there's enough space that it shouldn't be a problem.

This post was edited

Made it out there last Saturday. They are no longer banning sitting on the beach.

Beach damage in the north unit continues, there's nothing left in places, the bike trail is less than 20ft from the water in spots with if 27th street. The south unit nature area is in pretty good shape, but the paved path north of the main lot has been washed out.

Unfortunately, the biting flies were out in force. You really couldn't stand still. A few folks came, sat, and went while I hiked. There's evidence of rangers' tire tracks at the south end, probably keeping people north of the Dead River during plover nesting season.

Give it a week or two, or look for days with wind from the east, to avoid the flies.

This post was edited

Thanks for the report Dan!!

This post was edited

So will the biting flies be brutal on any day the wind isnt coming from the East?

This post was edited

Im heading to Illinois BeachState Park this weekend with boyfriend. We are staying at the lodge. Will be trying to go nude in dunes in far south end of park. John

This post was edited