Illinois Beach State Park

Years ago, nudity at IBSP in Zion was not uncommon, but it had gotten to be a cruising site, and was cracked down on hard (mostly by enforcing the rules about going off trails -- made it harder for honest naturist+naturalist folks like me to get pictures of some of the wildflowers).
Since then, there's always been a contingent of thong-clad men, and other nudity has been rare on the south unit -- I found secluded spots for sunning and discrete skinny-dips right on the beach in the north unit but those have lost their cover as erosion changes the beachfront year by year.
It appears that ranger patrols have been reduced (I'm guessing budget limits, especially with what they've had to spend after the last few years' storm damage). I've started to see a bit more flagrant nudity on the south unit (a topless woman this last sunday, a guy changing into his thong in full view of the beach). Especially further down the beach, it seems an opportunity to start colonizing the place again.
Sundays seem to be my best day to get there -- anyone else want to join me? Walk a mile south of the nature center, you might find me (but without a signal, you won't find me nude -- I'll see you coming).

This topic was edited
RE: Illinois Beach State Park

I used to visit IBSP yearly for a camping weekend, but have not been up there in several. I had no idea there was any nudity up there. A few times a year I visit Tampa and/or Fort Lauderdale for my nudist fix, but would head up there if it were relatively accepted. Can't get up there this week, but if it becomes a thing, I would make the trek.

This post was edited

Used to get there a few times a year back in the 80's before the crack down. Was a nice scenic area to work on that all over tan. Yes, there were times I had to let people know I was just there for the sunning but never had any negative experiences. Many times after men knew I was not interested in any extracurricular activities I would have some very nice conversations with these same men. So I really missed going to beach area there. I would also go to the Indiana Dunes area back in the 80's and early 90's before it became a National Lake Shore and added rangers and four wheeled patrols. Nudity was not unusual in the areas away from the main beaches and if the state park rangers happened to catch anyone about the only thing that would happen is a verbal warning. I think they enjoyed giving warnings to topless girls, at least they used to spend a lot of time talking to them. It's too bad we have lost these areas. It seems our nudist culture is getting smaller all the time or at least being driven more underground so to speak.

This post was edited

I appreciate the discussion of days gone by and wish i had been able to visit back then. Has anyone enjoyed IBSP skyclad recently? I would like to find somewhere available closer.

This post was edited

I appreciate the discussion of days gone by and wish i had been able to visit back then. Has anyone enjoyed IBSP skyclad recently? I would like to find somewhere available closer.Yes, yesterday!In the north unit, there are a few secluded spots (walk north from Hosah park is the easiest way in, or at the other end near Winthrop Harbor there are a couple sheltered spots... but it can get rather busy up there, so your mileage may vary -- be prepared to dress before folks walk past).In the south unit, like I said, there seems to be a bit of a resurgence. As I said, in mid-june there was a topless woman; yesterday there were amidst the typical thonged, there was a couple (he in a thong, she in a quite sheer bikini), and one guy nude, not far from the trail from the nature center. I walked much further south and sunned and swam undisturbed.

This post was edited

Thank you for the info - i cannot wait to check it out!

This post was edited

Sad to lose it so long ago to pervs who just can't keep their cocks in their panties when down there.Um, we're all here because we don't want to keep our cocks in our panties. You too, I assume.
A lot of America thinks this whole site and everyone on it is a pervert. So let's be careful with the labels, folks.

This post was edited

Naturally11, I've been to several nude beaches where heterosexual sex is practiced back in the bushes and sometimes right out in the open -- people just tend to turn a blind eye to it more. (Gay guys tend to complain about seeing straight sex a lot less often that straight people complain about seeing gay sex.) So, I wouldn't characterize that only the gay guys are the reason -- is it possible that your negativity about gay sex (based on some of your posts) is clouding your perception a bit while blinding you to the fact that it isn't strictly men having sex together at the beaches? For Mazo Beach, the fact that it's closed during the week is partially for the highly increased number of drug-related incidents that were occurring during the week, not just for sex-related issues (which, again, was both heterosexual and homosexual).

This post was edited

Thanks for saying that: my thoughts exactly. This seems like an odd site for someone to stigmatize the kinds of sex and nudity they don't like. And the story of gay guys somehow spoiling things for everyone is a very old one.

This post was edited

So, I finally made it there today (late afternoon on a Sunday). Not bad at all. I saw a couple and 2 seperate guys. There was a few other guys in thongs but everyone was very nice or else kept their distance. I will have to go again but earlier in the day.

This post was edited

After a cold spring, things are certainly blooming at IBSP:
Erosion on the beach has been particularly bad this year -- and in fact just in the last week. Most of my sheltered spots I've used in the past where I can see down the beach, but can't be easily seen, are gone.
Yesterday, there was certainly open nudity on the nature center beach: A nude couple, another couple wearing only thongs, a few other guys (inc. yrs trly). I talked to the nude couple a bit (none of us were going to the WNBR -- traffic and a chilly evening ahead).
Yes, covering up is still a good idea when others walk by... but there's no sign of rangers or their ATV.
If any of you are reading, please do not be offended by my binoculars -- I'm not staring at you, I'm trying to get a read on the other groups of people down the way, whether they're going to come our way.

This post was edited