RE: Illinois Beach State Park

]What is the earliest in spring and coolest temperatures that you all have been there?I've got a standing rule that I go there on the first day that breaks 75 in Chicago... which usually means high 50s along the waterThat's usually early April. I did not go on Monday when it broke 70 -- work to do, and the weather reported that the water temp is 39.

This post was edited

May try to check it out this Wednesday. Calling for high 60s and I NEED to be nude outside again. I always use the South beach by the Dead River and have never had any problems there.

This post was edited

I finally got out to the beach on Friday. Temps in the car read as high as 80F on the way, but still 70F at the parking lot, with breezes from the southwest keeping the lake cooling down.
Storm erosion this year is truly amazing: The beach had been scoured much further in than usual. On the south unit, there's practically a new dune line right by the shore, and on both units some strange "bumpy" areas that appear to be caused by snow and ice melting under the sand -- there was even a tunnel-like structure about 15" tall (interior) that had an ice "ceiling".
The south unit was nearlyempty, but bad timing meant that there always seemed to be someone near me when I was at what would otherwise be a good spot to lay out.
The north unit was completely empty when I got there, allowing a nice long walk in the sun and breeze. The winter erosion is really bad there: there are a lot of trees gone, but some new coves created by old beachfront foundations getting exposed. Only had one person cross where I was sunning, and I made sure I was dressed (she had a very friendly dog who wanted to play).

This post was edited

Where is everybody?
Warm spring Sunday, and there's maybe two other people on the beach.

This post was edited

I went to Mazo this weekend. Hoping to make it to this ISBP Wednesday or Thursday weather and work willing.

This post was edited

Went Thursday after work. I tried to get out early, barely succeeded, traffic was awful so I didn't get to the beach until 6.The north unit's nature area was, as usual, pretty much deserted. Nobody crossed my spot, I saw a few folks who got no closer than a hundred yards or so. By 7:30 the sun was fading and it had cooled off quickly -- 62 at the parking lot, 81 at the highway.
Still, nice to enjoy the sun while it lasted.

This post was edited

Today, 5/18,should be beautiful at the south end. Plan on spending the entire day out there.

This post was edited

I'm jealous: I unfortunately have meetings all afternoon.

This post was edited

Saturday of Memorial Day weekend turned out to be the best day of the weekend - I'm glad I spent most of the day on the beach.
Virtually nobody on either the north or south units' nature areas. Strategically covered (but obviously not wearing pants) when the very few people passed by, one woman even said "hi!"
Best signs? No tire tracks in the sand, meaning the rangers are probably not patrolling.Worst sign? Nobody else partaking of the sun.

This post was edited

Wish i lived closer so i could go

This post was edited