group start dates

i have noticed that many groups have a start date of 12/31/1969. is this some glitch in the sites software? it is difficult to have an internet forum group 20+ years before al gore invented the internet and 30+ years before the forum's site was even created.
i happen to find this amusing.

This topic was edited
RE: group start dates

i have noticed that many groups have a start date of 12/31/1969. is this some glitch in the sites software? it is difficult to have an internet forum group 20+ years before al gore invented the internet and 30+ years before the forum's site was even created. i happen to find this amusing.
That happens when a creators profile is deleted.
Not sure if it's meant to be amusing, but TT does have a wicked sense of humour, so it might be!

This post was edited

It has more to do with the way Unix systems keep time, and the creator having been deleted.
That happens to be the date of "time zero" for most Unix clocks, since they keep time in seconds since then.

This post was edited

thanks for all the usefull info. it was just something i was curious about. my computer knowledge is a little limited. when i was in h.s. we learned basic on trs - 80(the kind with the keyboard and monitor as one piece)

This post was edited

The famous ( or infamous ) trash-eighty did much to advance the eventuality of the PC for general use. Things have changed some since then.
UNIX is no longer an operating system per 'se. Novell sold it to the Unix Consortium some time ago. UNIX is now a specification that several OS ( including some that run on Linux ) do meet, so can correctly be called UNIX today.

This post was edited