snake vs bike

So yesterday I was mountain biking on a favorite local trail, came around a blind corner with some speed, and found a rattlesnake stretched across the trail. Had I not been so terrified, I'd have likely been just fine rolling over or hopping it, but those things scare me, so I panicked, locked both brakes and tried to stop. When I realized I wasn't going to get stopped, I threw myself to the ground and my bike at the snake (second part not intentional!). I landed less than a foot from him and scrambled back.
Now, my bike was lying over a venomous snake. He was holding it for ransom. I waited for it to crawl part-way out from under the bike, and tried throwing rocks and shouting to scare it along. That didn't work. He looked annoyed at best. I managed to grasp the bad wheel (his head was beyond the front wheel at this point), upright the bike and drag it away from him. Then I waited quietly for him to crawl away.
The only thing this has to do with nudity is, well, the snake was nude. Just figured fellow cyclists would enjoy the story. I've posted pics on my profile I you don't believe me!

This topic was edited
RE: snake vs bike

Yeah, thats a bit too close for comfort. I think riding mt bike trails just about anywhere in the US you can come across a rattler. I know you have a lot more in TX than we do here in PA but we still have them. But man check out some of the rattler pics and stories over at mtbr dot com forums. Damn, one guy lost his hand due a rattler bite and another had a hospital bill of over 300k after being bitten. Those bastids will definitely put some hurt on ya.Ride safe
NT

This post was edited
RE: snake vs bike

ok thats the ultimate nightmare and has come to mind numberous times when mtn biking or hiking and i think we all would have reacted the same, and yes if he wanted the bike bad enough he could have kept it.

This post was edited