RE: Anyone ride a fat bike?

Talked to a guy the other day on one, he liked it a lot. I'm a fat guy on a bike, does that count?It's all good.

This post was edited

i've seen some in the $300. range and i think 21 speed ,yeah maybe more heavier but im not into bikes that are the price of a used car, if i lived near a beach i'd get one just to see how well they did on hard sand .

This post was edited

I want a Surly Wednesday. They retail for $1499.
It is a new model but, no one seems to have my size in stock
anywhere, Canada or USA. It is a 20 Speed with a 4130 CroMoly
steel frame. I wanted it mainly for off road bike touring so
I want to avoid anything that is carbon or aluminum. Also a
lot of the weight in a fat bike is due to the 80 - 100 mm
rims and tires. I believe it negates the reasons for
buying an expensive titanium or carbon frame. The bike
is set up to add fenders and front and rear racks for touring
which I think is very important. I have already cycled from
Bellingham to Tijuana with my Surly Long Haul Trucker road bike and
it is time for a change with a planned 80 mile Fat Bike beach
ride!

This post was edited

I see a 26", 7speed, 40lb, fat bike at Academy Sports for $220. That's a little heavy but seems to me to be not all that bad for the price. My concern would be how long it can hold up against salt water before it completely rusts away. I can justify $220 every few years easier than $2200. Does anyone know how long one of these will last with regular use at the waterline?

This post was edited

I couldn't wait any longer for the Wednesday and bought a Surly Moonlander for $1199 from Universal Cycles in Portland. It was a 2015 Surly blowout price. I was very surprised how light it is including the 124TPI tires. It is very fun to ride and I can't wait to use it on the beach and in the snow.

This post was edited