So what did we think of the new doctor?

Loved the tone of the new series and think Peter Capaldi is going to be a great doctor.What did everyone else think?

This topic was edited
RE: So what did we think of the new doctor?

I really liked him. I've been impressed with Capaldi since his performance in Torchwood: Children of Earth. He's not only talented, but has the right look for a Doctor.
I also liked the show's new tone. I was surprised by how much it had changed, since the show runner, Steven Moffat, is the same. Not only were there the expected changes in narrative themes and characterization, but the dialogue was sharper and funnier, and even the look and incidental music seemed different.

This post was edited

Very much enjoyed Peter Capaldi in the role. He has the right look, the right tone and I look forward to seeing where the stories go.
And Clara quickly became one of my favorite companions so happy she is there for this transition.
I even actually liked the new show opening as well, which is surprising as I wasn't so crazy about the last one. Preferred the Tenant era and early Matt Smith period openings to the more recent one, but liked the totally new look of this one very much.
Eager to see where it all goes from here, but I'd say we're off to a very good start..

This post was edited

I thought he was terrific as well - and loved the "eyebrows".
Looking forward to a lot more...
Also impressed that Clara's suddenly showing a lot more character, and hoping that carries on too!

This post was edited

I quite enjoyed how the episode went and am looking forward to more of this Doctor. I love the way he played that bit of memory. I don't want to spoil anything, but you know what I mean.

This post was edited

I do not like him. He is playing it too grumpy. The opening graphics suck. It takes away from the space travel and makes it look like someone on mushrooms going thru a psychotic fit. Also, I lost in the 50th Anniversary, it was hinted that the Doctor was going to search for Gallefrey, instead, it's this "Missy" character (whom I think is either a renegade Time Lady, maybe the Rani; or Idris, the personification of the TARDIS getting jealous of Clara and plotting revenge.) Colin Baker used to be my least favorite, now is is Capaldi. Thumbs down to Mofatt (or as I call him Mofat-head) for failing to follow the set rules of Doctor Who and changing them for his stories. As a purist fan of the show (classic to present), I feel I could write better stories, even play the Doctor better. I wonder if he will not last much longer than Eccleston (whom I thought was better than Capaldi).

This post was edited

Well, not quite as down on Capaldi as Hotshot is, but I am not happy with the way the character is being written. I think the way he's being asked to play the character is not good. I was looking for a return to a bit more maturity -- somehow I imagined an incarnation closer to Jon Pertwee.... but he's just kind of.... not all there. All over the place, erratic... more than eccentric. Not pleased.
My wife says it's like he's lost part of his memory or intellect in the last regeneration -- just doesn't seem to know what he's doing.
In short -- not happy with what I've seen and I'm giving it a good shake.
I think Capaldi can do it -- but the actor is only as good as the material he's given and the way he's asked to play it. This isn't working for me. :-(

This post was edited