i think an autistic would make a pretty good nudist

due to their sensitivity to clothing on top of the fact that they don't think of nudity as a sex object.

This topic was edited
RE: i think an autistic would make a pretty good nudist

Well, that makes sense - definitely the part about the sensitivity to clothing! Likewise, I would think that it would be a good community for people with autism because most nudists are less judgmental and more accepting of diverse people with different backgrounds, compared to non-nudists. At least that has been my experience.

This post was edited

that's right

This post was edited

Well, that makes sense - definitely the part about the sensitivity to clothing! Likewise, I would think that it would be a good community for people with autism because most nudists are less judgmental and more accepting of diverse people with different backgrounds, compared to non-nudists. At least that has been my experience.I agree. Out of the many nudists I've met and gotten to know, almost 0 of them have been judgmental or closed-minded. That is especially true when I talk about autism with them. Seems like alot of people want to know what it's like and how it affects us

This post was edited

I agree. Out of the many nudists I've met and gotten to know, almost 0 of them have been judgmental or closed-minded. That is especially true when I talk about autism with them. Seems like alot of people want to know what it's like and how it affects usI have a young nudist friend that I'm pretty sure is autistic -- I haven't tried to confirm that because I like him a lot and don't care whether he is autistic or not! We have been to several nude beaches together and have been to one nudist resort together. He tends to be very social in these environments and everyone we meet always loves him! As true nudists, we also hang out nude in our hotel when we travel.
Am I wrong to avoid asking him if he is autistic? We have been close friends for a couple years now and I want that friendship to continue!

This post was edited

I have experience with autistic students in schools. One thing that I NEVER considered was an attraction to nudism. But I did notice that many autistic students in our population were very eager to be nude, even to the point of creating difficulty for teachers. I wonder if this information is available widely enough, and I applaud your discussion and exploration of this.

This post was edited

Speaking for myself, things really clicked into place with my diagnosis of ASD at age 41. I certainly preferred being naked as a kid (when it was warm enough), and have been a practising nudist since my early 20s. I have sensory issues with fabrics, so it is natural that I would not want prolonged exposure to something against my skin.
I do offer counselling and support for parents of kids on the spectrum, and they generally seem surprised that my suggestion of allowing them to be naked (where appropriate, of course) often helps the kids to be more settled.
I think the candour of aspies and auties and the lack of concern for social norms and conventions definitely contributes to us making good nudists.I would love to make contact with fellow spectrum people who are nudists.

This post was edited

Speaking for myself, things really clicked into place with my diagnosis of ASD at age 41. I certainly preferred being naked as a kid (when it was warm enough), and have been a practising nudist since my early 20s. I have sensory issues with fabrics, so it is natural that I would not want prolonged exposure to something against my skin.I do offer counselling and support for parents of kids on the spectrum, and they generally seem surprised that my suggestion of allowing them to be naked (where appropriate, of course) often helps the kids to be more settled.I think the candour of aspies and auties and the lack of concern for social norms and conventions definitely contributes to us making good nudists.I would love to make contact with fellow spectrum people who are nudists.

Isn't that pretty much everyone here (True Nudist: Autism group)? Once I found out I was an Aspie (at age 65), I started wondering how much of my "quirks" were related to autism. I have never liked the feeling of clothing on my skin, and when I found touch sensitivities on the list of autistic traits, it just clicked.

This post was edited