nudist areas

where in N.C. are good places to hang out nude and relax without being hassled.

This topic was edited
RE: nudist areas

I would love to know that as well.

This post was edited
Re: Nude Areas

Most places along the Appalachian Trail in NC are nude-friendly in that most one would encounter there are accepting if not practicing themselves - rarely does one encounter someone 'offended by nudity' on the trail.
Also, most of the Outer Banks islands that are unpopulated or sparsely populated have sense no urgency to about hassling someone sunbathing nude.
It is important to keep in mind though neither area has been 'offically' designated for nude use so caution is advised lest the one time a prude comes along ...

This post was edited

After Feb., Whispering Pines in the Shallotte area or Jasmine Trail in the New Bern area would be my choices OR you can contact Triangle Area Naturists in the Raleigh area to see if they've got something going on.

This post was edited

You can also travel to the SC upstate (Carolina Foothlls www.carolinafoothills.com) or even to Travelites' events (www.travelites.info) or possibly Cedar Creek nudist park in the SC Midlands.

This post was edited

I currently belong a club that is going to a members only status, thus I'll probably end my membership when it expires in July. I'm planning on trying Carolina Foothills to see how well that fits.

This post was edited

Below is information which I posted in the South Carolina Nudist group.
South Carolina Nude Beach Report

Just about a week ago I was lamenting the fact that I knew of no nude beaches in South Carolina and advocated the idea that we should try to get one established. Lo and behold after some searches on Google I discovered the following article.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_social_nudity_places_in_North_America

Public nudity
On the seashore at the Sunset Beach town limit there is a large sign stating that nudity might be encountered. The seclusion of the area, the fact that no municipality has jurisdiction, and the warm Atlantic Ocean breezes seem to make Bird Island popular at times with naturists. Sunset Beach police, who have some authority, but don't enforce laws outside of the town's limits, periodically patrol the beach beyond the town limits using off-road vehicles. Town leaders have discussed the possibility of annexing Bird Island in an effort to restrict nudity. However, the fact that the extreme southwestern tip of Bird Island extends into South Carolina at the Little River Inlet (with no visible demarcation) adds to any jurisdictional confusion. Nude Sunbathing is ILLEGAL in North Carolina.Although nude sunbathing has been over-looked by many local residents and local authorities, some complaints are having authorites pressed into the position of enforcing state laws.

Since I had posted this information I felt obligated to verify the information least I send someone off on a wild nude chase. On Sunday June 21, 2009, I set off from my home for the forty mile trip. I arrived at about 11:30AM and began my search for Bird Island. Asking directions on Sunset Beach, I was pointed in the right direction. Ahead of me was about a mile and one-half of nearly deserted white sand beach with white dunes beyond the high tide line.

I literally walked from North Carolina into South Carolina, carring a small personal cooler with some water and a small bag containg beach necessities, the walk took about an hour. At no point did I see the sign mentioned in the article above. There were a couple of small signs stating that North Carolina Decency Laws would be enforced.
Walking all the way to the Lille River Inlet, I encountered no nudists and only a few textiles.

I began the walk back, somewhat discouraged, resigned to enjoying the beautiful beach as a textile. Surely the information I had was outdated. Around a third of the way back I came upon a couple in their mid-twenties stripping down. They explained that they lived nearby and came to Bird Island almost every weekend. Also, that the anti-nudity law was not enforced. Thus encouraged, I removed my shorts and we spent an enjoyable afternoon on the sand and in the surf. They also said that There were generally more nudists on the beach but the windy day kept attendance down. in my profile I have placed some photos clearly marked Bird Island which will give some indication how nice it is there.

I was very impressed with the few textiles which were strolling or biking on the beach. There was no gawking as I have encountered elsewhere. They didnt seem to notice that we were nude.

A few hints:
Parking is limited at the closest access to Bird Island.
Prepare for a long beach walk to the non-enforced area.
No facilities are available on Bird Island, any creature comforts will have to be carried in. Please carry out anything that you bring in.
A wagon or beach cart would be ideal for your cooler, ect.
A bicycle can spare you the ordeal of the long walk.
Do not take pictures without permission.
Detailed directions:
Exit Hwy. 17 at Hwy. 179. At NC/SC state line. Follow Hwy. 179 thru Calabash, Thru Sunset Beach over Intercoastal Waterway to end. Turn right on Main to end 40th St. Walkway to beach. Right at beach. Turn around tracks in sand from Code Enforcement ATVs will indicate beginning of non-enforced area of beach

Grin and bare it.
Art

This post was edited

Prepare for a long beach walk to the non-enforced area. Grin and bare it. Art

Thank for taking time to post information, Art. I have one question, just in case we ever make the much further than forty mile trek in that direction. When you said to be prepared for a long beach walk, did you mean long as in several hundred yards or is it more like a few miles?

This post was edited