RE:What's your favorite wine?

I thought it might be nice to add the wifes new favorite wine. I dont think its too fancy as we purchase it at Publix but it is a buck or two more than our usual Barefoot brand. She has lately been buying the Pinot Noir made by Meiomi of California. The label mentions *lifted aromas of jammy fruit and toasted oak . . .*. I dont know a thing about it but she enjoys it and buys more. Thats enough knowledge for me as the *happy wife, happy life* label is paramount.

Thank you for the write-up, John. If you can steal a couple of tastes sometime when your happy wife isn't watching her glass, that would be even more helpful. For the people who write impressions of the things one might experience when supping the product, what a hoot! Describing wine is part of the art, and just like any other artistic medium, fully up to the beholder. 'Lifted aromas' - what the heck does that mean? Did the wine make the taster's penis 'lift' or something? I feel that any critical assessment should always include a whole bottle in the critic before they pick up the pen. I do enjoy hearing other people's impressions on a bottle we're sharing, though what is said can surely become dangerously close to the ridiculous, especially when you get down to the sediment. Wet pencil shavings and a touch of burnt marmalade - oh yeah, let's open another!

I have been seeing the commercials for Meiomi a lot lately, and seeing more of it on the shelves. Even though in general my tastes lean away from Pinot, I'm going to have to give it a slurp soon.

As someone who used to be in the wine business (along with a whole lot of wine being in my business), there are many chuckles to be had in the descriptions you'll read on bottles and otherwise. Once, when I had the winemaker on the phone 3000 miles away who asked me what I thought of their $130 bottle, I had to dive pretty deep when I took another sip and swirl of my tongue in it before saying the famous line, "It's poignant, yet austere." We all laughed for many moments. And that bottle was oh so fucking good. The beholder knows the way no one else can.

This post was edited

Since I posted last, we switched wine club wineries. We belong to one right next door to the last winery we were wine club members of. This new winery is a little bougie but we both love ALL their wines. Typically, we enjoy half the wines a winery will make but this one, we like them all. Not sure how long we'll remain members but it's great right now.

The last winery we were members of, had a wine club event where we got to partake in a barrel tasting. The wine maker was describing the wine, the scents, the various tastes we'd experience and at one point mentioned, "hints of leather!" My good friend and I looked at each other, swirled and sniffed the wine and could that hint of leather. Before we could ask the winery maker, she said, "and no, we did not put a shoe into the vat to get that scent. "

I wish I had started right after I retired and learned more about wine and wine making. I would have loved to work at one of the local wineries, parttime. Because I would have been the new guy, I would have gotten all the weekend shifts, and my wife was still working so we only had the weekends for fun time. That kept me from pursuing this hobby.

This post was edited

Good morning from southern Arizona. Down here we have many wineries in the area.

I am learning a lot about different wines. So far white wine in the summer and reds when it starts cooling down.

One of our favorites is the pillsbury winery. They do have a wine that got me enjoying wine. But the price has been going up every year. Started out as a $60 bottle, but I think its over a $100 now. I believe its called guns and kisses

This post was edited