Group Discussions

Being relatively new to TN, I joined several groups that were of interest to me. I joined in the posted discussions hoping to meet other group members. It seems that no one ever responds to the discussions. Is this common to most of the groups? Why join a group if you have no intention to be an active participant? I'm just saying!

This topic was edited
RE: Group Discussions

I have a theory that people attach
themselves to groups in an effort to further single themselves out
from the mob. When creating a profile it's sometimes hard to list
everything that you are interested in or find to be interesting. I
think signing up for groups, even if not actively participating,
helps to align people with others who are similar. Instead of
just floating around as an individual in TN land, it's a way for
people to start making friends or becoming visible to others. In
essence I think they are badges to put onto your profile just so
people have a little bit better of a grasp on who you might be.

This post was edited

Being relatively new to TN, I joined several groups that were of interest to me. I joined in the posted discussions hoping to meet other group members. It seems that no one ever responds to the discussions. Is this common to most of the groups? Why join a group if you have no intention to be an active participant? I'm just saying!

Hi Jaffo,

Sad to say, I think many people join groups just to say "This is the type of nudist I am." Then, we never hear from them. I've joined groups and eventually left them when no one seemed to want to say anything, not even to discuss the weather.

(Hmmm, Nudists who talk about the weather. I wonder if that already exists...?)

Anyway, you'll get more interaction on Forum than in most groups.

This post was edited

I have a theory that people attachthemselves to groups in an effort to further single themselves outfrom the mob. When creating a profile it's sometimes hard to listeverything that you are interested in or find to be interesting. Ithink signing up for groups, even if not actively participating,helps to align people with others who are similar. Instead ofjust floating around as an individual in TN land, it's a way forpeople to start making friends or becoming visible to others. Inessence I think they are badges to put onto your profile just sopeople have a little bit better of a grasp on who you might be.

I believe this is pretty much on the mark. The average "site-joiner" is not active, just a reader, and groups are a way to identify their interests.
Gator1

This post was edited

I agree. Only a couple of the groups I joined are active. Some have not had a post in months and i don't think people even check them out to see if there is anything new onthem. I spent a day sending pms to all the members of two of my groups asking to reinvigorate them. Ireceiveda few positive answers but few followed through on it. I have now decided that if a group has had no activity for the past month I will delete it from my list. I may end up with an empty list but that can't be helped.

This post was edited

Ok, if I started a new group, Members of Groups Who Want To Discuss Things, who would be willing to join and who of those who join would actually discuss things?
Just kidding!

This post was edited

I believe this is pretty much on the mark. The average "site-joiner" is not active, just a reader, and groups are a way to identify their interests.
Gator1
Totally agree.

This post was edited

I have a theory that people attachthemselves to groups in an effort to further single themselves outfrom the mob. When creating a profile it's sometimes hard to listeverything that you are interested in or find to be interesting. Ithink signing up for groups, even if not actively participating,helps to align people with others who are similar. Instead ofjust floating around as an individual in TN land, it's a way forpeople to start making friends or becoming visible to others. Inessence I think they are badges to put onto your profile just sopeople have a little bit better of a grasp on who you might be.

Bull's eye theory!

Jen

This post was edited

I have found, too, that in most organizations to which I've belonged, only a small percentage of the membership is very active. TN is no exception to this. Like you, I have focused a lot of my attention on the Groups to which I belong. I've posted as a way of connecting with others who share my interest(s); as with you, the response has been minimal.

I couldn't agree with you more. I've belonged to several local organizations as well, one a nationally known car club, the other a national professional organization. In both cases, local membership was well over 400 members, yet at any function, it's always the same 10, 15 or 20 people. In both of these cases, annual membership dues were not inexpensive. I, for one, likes to get my money's worth. My partcipation in both groups soon found me sitting on the respective boards.

This post was edited

its bad enough when people join groups and don't participate, but when the owner/creator of a group totally ignores their group its time to eliminate that group. i tried to jump start the said mentioned group with a few discussions and no one including the creator even bothered to check out what was said.

This post was edited

Owners that ignore groups that require their approval for memberships are especially annoying. There was one that I was interested in being a part of, but after waiting several days for approval, I said, "SKROOT!" and deleted the application. I've never gone back to it.

I need to do that. There are two music related groups I applied to, created by the same individual. It's been over a week and a half and he has yet to approve my application. How do you delete the application?

This post was edited