Cape Charles Cup - Virginia

This past weekend I participated in the Cape Charles Cup. On Saturday you race from Virginia Beach over to Cape Charles on the Eastern Shore, spend the night at a local marina, then on Sunday you race back. There were over 80 boats in this year's race. If you want to see a lot of great boat pictures, head over to www.photo-boat.com/cape-charles-cup.html (it will take a few days for them to get the pictures on line). For this edition of the race, the wind was very light so the course was shortened quite a bit on both days, but it was still two beautiful days to be on the water - clear skies and 2-10 knots of breeze (with the higher number later in the afternoon). The sailing was a broad reach both days - just set the sails and ride.
The race is broken up into many different fleets, including a "cruising" fleet. Many of these are boats that people live aboard, or they are serious blue water cruisers who cross oceans. (Now to what this has to do with naked sailing.) On Sunday morning there was a guy who took a shower on the back of his boat. I didn't see it myself, but folks on the boats docked around us were commenting. The comments mostly seemed to be mild amusement to a bit of mocking.
I did not get to sail naked, but it would have been a great weekend to. And it would have been a great race to do nude. After the start the boats spread out over several miles; you could start clothed and then strip off once you got a little separation.
I hope you got some time on the water this past weekend.

This topic was edited
No replies yet.