What Kind of Camera?

I've always been interested in photography since childhood, but I've never pursued it as a hobby. I would love to do landscapes and nudes and combination of the two. I have no idea what camera to start with, though.

This topic was edited
RE: What Kind of Camera?

I share your interests, and I too really don't know what camera to get that's not going to cost me a fortune... I have a basic digital camera, but it does not take a quality photo. How about it group...any advise on a good starter camera??Thanks!

This post was edited

I always suggest getting a DSLR camera once you want to do more than your average holiday pics.
They are more expensive than the basic click and shoot, but they offer a ton more freedom and flexibility.
Plus the kit lens that usually comes with the body is on average good enough for starters no matter what kind of photography you want to do. Once you get better you only have to invest in new lenses that fit your needs.
Right now I would totally go for the Canon 100D (I actually own that one myself). It's one of the smallest and cheapest DLSR out there.
And it has a pretty great costs-quality ratio. The kit lens that comes with it (18-55), is quite good and has a really nice auto-focus.
Plus the 100D fits EF lenses, which means if you want to do nude photography you can get the new 50mm canon lens, also known as the Plastic-Fantastic. One of the cheapest static lenses of the moment, but its pretty great. The soft focus does wonder on the skin :)

This post was edited

I agree with NudeKirby but, now having been converted to Nikon cameras, I would go for one of them. However, most makes have good "bridge" cameras - cameras that "bridge the gap" between point-and-shoot and full-blown DSLRs. I have one - a Nikon Coolpix - which I carry around as my 'tourist' camera when I don't want to lug around my 2 pro Nikons and their associated lenses. My advice would be to go to a camera shop such as Jessops in the UK and try out several in and slightly above your price bracket, then visit the internet to see what bargains can be had on your chosen one(s). Above all in my view, you should choose the one that feels comfortable to you because a relaxed photographer engenders the same feeling in the model.

This post was edited

This thread has good points from people with various tastes in photography.
I am now age 81. Back when I was in my forties and fifties, I owned a Pentax SLR film camera, along with several lenses. That was before digital cameras became popular. I then was not much into nude photography. During tourist trips, I used my camera extensively. However a bane of my tourist trips was that the camera equipment was a lot of weight to lug around. At one time, I reached the point that I was too old to be lugging that weight around, so I lost some interest in photography.
About eight years ago, I purchased a Nikon D40 digital SLR. That's all I carry around. I could get other lenses for my Nikon, but I have not done so. My Nikon has taken some excellent nude photos. A difference between nudist photography and tourist photography is that there is much less moving around with nudist photography. I still have the tripod from 40 years ago, and I use it for self-timer photos of myself. Tripods are handy, because it can be difficult to get a non-nudist friend to take nude photos of you. When I went to Cypress Cove for a nudist trip, I also got some excellent tourist photos at Disney World near Orlando.
By the way 40 years ago, I was a Kodak stockholder. At that time, Kodak was a very good stock. But I got out of the stock market during the 1970s. Recently Kodak has gone bankrupt. That is indicative of market changes. People don't buy film any more, because of the popularity of digital cameras.

This post was edited

You are asking about what camera to use AND talking about selling your images. Those two topics are thousands of miles apart. You need to get out there and develop your art long before you start talking about selling your work.

This post was edited

I Just Use A Canon 12mb Compact Camera and It's Set To Auto!
John

This post was edited

My spec is: pocket sized (to take anywhere), easy to use and with time delay (for selfies) and zoom. I have a Panasonic Lumix SZ10. It serves all my needs. Sometimes it over or under-exposes the photos but that is easily corrected. I don't need many megapixels as my photos are always used in the internet, requiring a reduction in file size.

This post was edited

One thing seems to have been overlooked so far - that is using flash.using a camera which only has built in flash and cannot accept at separate flash gun will always produce harsh flash shadows...Buy a camera that can use an external flash and direct the flash to the ceiling. This will give a softer and shadow free image...A much more professional looking result!
That is well and good. It takes two hands to do this. Can you handle the camera and click it with one hand?

This post was edited

I just use my phone and that works just fine by me but my wife wants to get another real camera and I'll definitely look into the ones that you guys are recommending on here. ThanksAt this time, they say that smart phones take pictures of lesser quality. That could change in about two years, considering the way that consumer electronics over time has been increasing in what you get for the same dollars.

This post was edited

I started with a Sure Shot a few years ago, but it didn't have the capability for a remote so if I was taking a picture of myself, I was always seemed to be running back and forth. Santa was nice to me last year and gave me a Nikon DSLR along with timed remote. Love it and the quality is much better, more things I can do. But still learning.

This post was edited