virus help topic

In one of the threads, there started an off topic discussion about ways to get rid of a virus once you had one on your computer. The person commented about not knowing how to start a new thread so I started one.

A few months ago, I had let my paid virus program lapse and got a trojan. I was able to download the free antivirus from avast.com.

Another way is if you can is to do a system checkpoint reset. The one I got blocked it so I couldn't do it, but this is how you do it.
Click Start, Alll Programs, Accessories, System Tools, System Restore. This will bring up a calender that shows days that have check points. Pick one that is before you started having problems. The wording may be slightly different if you are not using XP. Any programs that you installed after checkpoint date will have to be reinstalled, but it won't affect pictures, documents, or such.Once you have it clear, definately get one of the free antivirus programs such as Avast or AVG

This topic was edited
RE: virus help topic

some of the trojans prevent you from doing that txag, If she can download malwarebytes (a free adware/spyware, trojan tool)to an external harddrive, and run it from there AFTER running a PREBOOT scan with AVAST (also download it to the external media, which keeps these programs from becoming corrupted). If this works, download CCleaner.com which will remove ALL system temp files (where most of these trojans live) and will also fix her registry if she runs the cleaner. It's simple, and after BOTH of our puters went down to viruses, hidden viruses, we found this combinatin of tools to do the trick.
Good luck....it's not fun
S

This post was edited
RE: virus help topic

In the last 5 years, I've had to reinstall all my programs 2x after a virus hit my computer program.
Well schooled in bringing computers back to where it was clean.

This post was edited
Computer viruses

I run a small computer business here in New York, if you all were closer I would be more than happy to remove the viruses for you. What I have found that works really good is a disk called "The ultimate boot CD for windows" which is a disk, that boots your computer up from your cd/dvd drive, without loading anything from your own operating system, there for the viruses are not running and sitting on your computers hard drive. (alot of viruses out there now willimmediatelyshut down your computersdefensesincluding web access and virus defenders. ) This disk contains 3 or 4 different Virus programs as well as 4 or 5 different spyware/malware removers and about 40 other utilities... you can down load the program that will build the disk for you, and keep it handy justin caseyou ever need it. My shop is a bit small or I would just offer to send everyone a disk... but if you are interested in getting one or finding out how to make one please let me know. if you google ubcd4win it will bring you to the "projects" website and give you directions on how to make the disk. I have not had to reinstall an operating system yet due tomalicious software or viruses since I found this disk.
Microsoft also offers free antivirus software now called Microsoft SecurityEssentials. Its free, light on resources and seems just about as effective as many of the pay ones. Anyway, I will stop babbling, and just say if anyone needs any help, feel free to let me know.

This post was edited
RE: Computer viruses

I run a small computer business here in New York, if you all were closer I would be more than happy to remove the viruses for you. What I have found that works really good is a disk called "The ultimate boot CD for windows" which is a disk, that boots your computer up from your cd/dvd drive, without loading anything from your own operating system, there for the viruses are not running and sitting on your computers hard drive. (alot of viruses out there now willimmediatelyshut down your computersdefensesincluding web access and virus defenders. ) This disk contains 3 or 4 different Virus programs as well as 4 or 5 different spyware/malware removers and about 40 other utilities... you can down load the program that will build the disk for you, and keep it handy justin caseyou ever need it. My shop is a bit small or I would just offer to send everyone a disk... but if you are interested in getting one or finding out how to make one please let me know. if you google ubcd4win it will bring you to the "projects" website and give you directions on how to make the disk. I have not had to reinstall an operating system yet due tomalicious software or viruses since I found this disk. Microsoft also offers free antivirus software now called Microsoft SecurityEssentials. Its free, light on resources and seems just about as effective as many of the pay ones. Anyway, I will stop babbling, and just say if anyone needs any help, feel free to let me know.

I would be happy to pay for the disc and your services of creating one for my E-machine plus mailing unless you want to visit the Midlands of SC. :)

This post was edited
virus

bump

This post was edited