Arent all naturists/nudists voyeurs and exhibitionists?

One of the most common general misconceptions about nudism is that nudists are just voyeurs and/or exhibitionists. Nudism is not equivalent to voyeurism or exhibitionism. Naturists/nudists are people who simply enjoy being nude. They are not primarily interested in seeing others naked (voyeurism) or being seen naked by others (exhibitionism).

Both voyeurism and exhibitionism are defined as paraphilias and are listed in the American Psychiatric Association, Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders. Paraphilias are recurrent, intense, sexually arousing fantasies, urges, or behaviors that can be distressing or disabling and that involve inanimate objects, children or other non-consenting adults. Paraphilias include sexual behaviors that society may view as distasteful, unusual or abnormal. People with a paraphilia often have an impaired or nonexistent capacity for affectionate, reciprocal emotional and sexual intimacy with a consenting partner. The sexual arousal and gratification of persons who suffer from paraphilias are dependent on fantasizing about and engaging in sexual behavior that is atypical and extreme. Most paraphilias are far more common in men than in women.

Voyeurism is achievement of sexual arousal by observing people who are naked, disrobing, or engaging in sexual activity. Desire to watch others in sexual situations is common and not in itself abnormal but when individuals spend inordinate amounts of effort and time seeking out viewing opportunities and their observations are of non-consenting, unsuspecting people with the intent of achieving arousal and sexual gratification, then the behavior is recognized as voyeurism and considered both abnormal and a psychiatric disorder.

Exhibitionism is characterized by achievement of sexual excitement through genital exposure, most usually to an unsuspecting stranger. It may also refer to a strong desire to be observed by other people during sexual activity. Exhibitionists (usually male) may masturbate while exposing or fantasizing about exposing themselves. They manifest the need to surprise, shock, or impress the unwilling observer. Usually, the behavior has a furtive quality. The exposure happens quickly and sometimes is even staged to appear done in a seemingly accidental manner. Some exhibitionists (flashers) are more provocative or threatening in their behavior, stepping in front of another person in public and exposing themselves, waiting for a reaction. In many cases, it is the reaction that the exhibitionist seeks.

As you can see, the focus of voyeurism and exhibitionism is not on simple nudity but on sexual arousal and gratification. Also persons with these disorders are heavily dependent on situations involving unsuspecting and non-consenting persons. In a nudist social setting these factors are not present as all are nude and mutually exhibiting themselves by choice and their presence in the setting operates as effective consent for others present to view their nudity. There is no atmosphere of non-consent or any opportunity for anyone to be surprised, shocked or impressed by anyones exposure. Thus it is difficult to imagine that a voyeur or exhibitionist would find a nudist gathering an attractive venue for plying their behavior. Generally the only voyeurs that can be found around nudists are in situations involving nude beaches and the voyeurs are generally clothed and identified by the sunlight glinting off camera or binocular lenses.

While the behavior may appear similar, exhibitionists and nudists are worlds apart. A nudist or naturist is an individual who enjoys living as much as possible in the nude. It is the sensuality, not the sexuality of being nude that nudists celebrate; the feel of the sun and elements on bare skin. Nudists do not gain sexual gratification from being nude; it is simply their most comfortable state. Nudists do not impose their bareness on others but choose venues such as naturist resorts or nude beaches where they can enjoy being nude without being observed by those who might be offended by nudity.

This topic was edited
RE: Arent all naturists/nudists voyeurs and exhibitionists?

Nuderuner, like all of your posts, this is VERY well said. Are you in politics or with some...what's the word I'm looking for...those people who go after politicians trying to....lobbiest! Hehe...don't mind my brain, anyways, would you be anything like that by chance? Because you should consider it. There are not many people online who can express thier views as clearly and eloquently than what I've seen from you.

Aaanyways, don't stop too suddenly or you might get my nose up your butt. lol....Back to the original post, I don't think there's too much that I can add, you've kind of said it all. I do think that it will take many years of constant advising to the general public about our way of life in order to wipe out generations of anti-nude sentiment. I think we are getting there slowly but surely, however with people like you representing our community it will go even quicker I'm sure!

This post was edited

Awww thank you so much Swifty. I appreciate your kind words and encouragement!

This post was edited

Nuderuner, like all of your posts, this is VERY well said. Are you in politics or with some...what's the word I'm looking for...those people who go after politicians trying to....lobbiest! Hehe...don't mind my brain, anyways, would you be anything like that by chance? Because you should consider it. There are not many people online who can express thier views as clearly and eloquently than what I've seen from you. Aaanyways, don't stop too suddenly or you might get my nose up your butt. lol....Back to the original post, I don't think there's too much that I can add, you've kind of said it all. I do think that it will take many years of constant advising to the general public about our way of life in order to wipe out generations of anti-nude sentiment. I think we are getting there slowly but surely, however with people like you representing our community it will go even quicker I'm sure!
Swifty, you said it all again, which is great, cos it saves me typing :)

Just one thing to add nuderunr, Quote, "identified by the sunlight glinting off camera or binocular lenses."

hehe, .........Boy do YOU learn fast !

Thanks for yet another great post.

Phil.

This post was edited

Nuderunr, this is one of your best post yet....

Steve

This post was edited
agreement

I absolutely agree with u,
Naturist is not related with it..
we just enjoy being nude, feel naturally, and respect the other....

This post was edited

thanks nuderunner...it's a shame that more folks don't really understand...

This post was edited

Nuderuner, like all of your posts, this is VERY well said. Are you in politics or with some...what's the word I'm looking for...those people who go after politicians trying to....lobbiest! Hehe...don't mind my brain, anyways, would you be anything like that by chance? Because you should consider it. There are not many people online who can express thier views as clearly and eloquently than what I've seen from you. Aaanyways, don't stop too suddenly or you might get my nose up your butt. lol....Back to the original post, I don't think there's too much that I can add, you've kind of said it all. I do think that it will take many years of constant advising to the general public about our way of life in order to wipe out generations of anti-nude sentiment. I think we are getting there slowly but surely, however with people like you representing our community it will go even quicker I'm sure!
Nuderunr, considering the posts on the NRA, this one and all of the others, we would like you to be our unofficial lobbyist for nudism.

This post was edited

Nuderunr, considering the posts on the NRA, this one and all of the others, we would like you to be our unofficial lobbyist for nudism.
Well thank you so much for your kind words! Actually I have become so convinced of the value of wholesome social nudity and nude recreation: mentally, socially and health wise that I actually am contemplating how I might do more to serve as a positive advocate for it.

This post was edited
Voyers and flashers are out there

Hi all!
Would like to bring to your info a few observations made throughout over quarter of a century of nude lifestyle.
Actually seems (IMHO) that about 20-30% of people endorsing nude lifestyle do get at least partly motivated by either voyerism, exhibitionism or both. That is easy to see in nude get-togethers and beaches when analysing people's actions. On the other hand, in most cases I - or most people I know - are not disturbed by majority of those people. They simply seem to enjoy being admired or to look at people they find interesting/attractive. As long as they do it in a manner that is not offensive, I have no problems in accepting them amongst the nudies. Just the border between actions that are OK and those that (some) people interprete as offensive does vary somewhat. I also would like to add that this phenomenon is not anyhow typical for nudies. Going to textile beaches one can see same kind of behaviour - even in more obvious ways - so it is rather a general human feature than one particularly associated with nude lifestyle.
Then of course are those occasional wankers or others whose behaviour crosses boundaries of acceptable, but they rarely seem to be people who endorse nude lifestyle in general. Besides, I don't mind what people do as long as things happen between consenting adults, just certain activities should be kept strictly in circles of people whose consent is known and not assumed.
Travel Nudie, aka Aki

This post was edited

Well thank you so much for your kind words! Actually I have become so convinced of the value of wholesome social nudity and nude recreation: mentally, socially and health wise that I actually am contemplating how I might do more to serve as a positive advocate for it.

nuderunr, you'd make a fantastic advocate for nudism. I hope you're able to find an advocacy role, as you'd do well. You express yourself very well, and get the essence of nudism across in a straightforward way that is easily understood. Keep up the good posts.

This post was edited