Privacy fence

I wanted to run a privacy fence idea I've had by the forum users and see if anybody has any feedback. We have a deck off the rear of our house that has open wooden rails. our neighbors on either side can see to this deck. Rather than putting up some sort of permanent privacy fence, I thought duck cloth (canvas) could be cut into widths matching the 3 vertical openings of the deck rail and weaved in and out of the decorative vertical supports and tied off at each end. The total length would be 12' on each side, or it could be made into two 6' lengths tied off at the center post. Other than the obvious downside that it only shields 3' up, meaning we would have to sit or lie down, does this sound like something that would work? Anybody tried something similar and have gotchas or even encouragement that it isn't as bad to make as it first looks? Even better, anybody know a place where I can spec it out and have them make the screens so all I have to do is tie them in place? - J & C

This topic was edited
RE: Privacy fence

I wanted to run a privacy fence idea I've had by the forum users and see if anybody has any feedback. We have a deck off the rear of our house that has open wooden rails. our neighbors on either side can see to this deck. Rather than putting up some sort of permanent privacy fence, I thought duck cloth (canvas) could be cut into widths matching the 3 vertical openings of the deck rail and weaved in and out of the decorative vertical supports and tied off at each end. The total length would be 12' on each side, or it could be made into two 6' lengths tied off at the center post. Other than the obvious downside that it only shields 3' up, meaning we would have to sit or lie down, does this sound like something that would work? Anybody tried something similar and have gotchas or even encouragement that it isn't as bad to make as it first looks? Even better, anybody know a place where I can spec it out and have them make the screens so all I have to do is tie them in place? - J & CSo long as the Jehovah Witnesses don't get too aggressive as some in my last city residence were. I you didn't answer the front door they would give our back yard a check just in case :-)

This post was edited

I wanted to run a privacy fence idea I've had by the forum users and see if anybody has any feedback. We have a deck off the rear of our house that has open wooden rails. our neighbors on either side can see to this deck. Rather than putting up some sort of permanent privacy fence, I thought duck cloth (canvas) could be cut into widths matching the 3 vertical openings of the deck rail and weaved in and out of the decorative vertical supports and tied off at each end. The total length would be 12' on each side, or it could be made into two 6' lengths tied off at the center post. Other than the obvious downside that it only shields 3' up, meaning we would have to sit or lie down, does this sound like something that would work? Anybody tried something similar and have gotchas or even encouragement that it isn't as bad to make as it first looks? Even better, anybody know a place where I can spec it out and have them make the screens so all I have to do is tie them in place? - J & CSo long as the Jehovah Witnesses don't get too aggressive as some in my last city residence were. I you didn't answer the front door they would give our back yard a check just in case :-)
We have gotten to know the local JW father and son who come around our neighborhood. They haven't done anything like that yet... of course Murphy's Law says they will choose the first time we try something like this out to make their first backyard check!
This is what we are trying to cover.

This post was edited

hi j&c,
oneeazy was it to staple landscapers fabric filter to the outside of the rails on the ballistersbetween the posts
and fit lattice over the top of it.

This post was edited

I'd keep it to the two six foot panels just for aesthetics and to prevent sagging of the canvas. I'd also "hang" the canvas from under the top rail as hanging is better vs. stretching them between two vertical members.

This post was edited

I have thought about this too. I have hosted parties at my house for my nudist club. I have one of those Home depot Gazebos they sell. I have taken plastic tarps and spring clamped them so as to block the view.
While this does work, and we were able to sit outside nude and enjoy a cookout. It was small and stuffy as the tarps block off most of any breeze (not that there was one last summer). But it is a temporary solution that can be taken down easily.
I have a little patio that i may just build a privacy fence around that, which is just bigger than the gazebo. That saves on the expense of doing the whole yard fence.

Good luck.

Stay naked!

This post was edited

Great project, I started thinking about an outdoor structure for my small corner lot and didn't think it would be possible to be outside and be nude at my place, but I am convinced that I can accomplish my objective even with my neighbors second story overlooking my nudist site!

This post was edited

I have now retired from the fence installation business which I owned. It is ironic that a privacy fence is not allowed on our property. Most of my yard is screened with plant material.There is onlyone area of our patio where I might be spotted jumping in and out of the hot tub. I have considered placing 6' vertical posts in the ground and running a 2x4 across the top. There are rolls ofbamboo slats available at the home improvment stores which could mounted to the horizontal.
The slats could then be rolled up and down as needed for privacy and would create an attractive Island Look when down.

This post was edited

I have now retired from the fence installation business which I owned. It is ironic that a privacy fence is not allowed on our property. Most of my yard is screened with plant material.There is onlyone area of our patio where I might be spotted jumping in and out of the hot tub. I have considered placing 6' vertical posts in the ground and running a 2x4 across the top. There are rolls ofbamboo slats available at the home improvment stores which could mounted to the horizontal. The slats could then be rolled up and down as needed for privacy and would create an attractive Island Look when down.We have some rules governing fence height too. A structure like a pergola would adapt well to the bamboo slats you are talking about. I've seen some thatch blinds that people use on their decks and patios that would be perfect for screening in a nudist area for your yard. I've talked to our town building inspector and he told me people mainly do as they please with outdoor structures and you are safe along as nobody complains... People rarely complain.

This post was edited

I took 2 nice looking fabric shower curtains and sewed them side by side to give me the lenght I needed to cover, then installed them using standard shower curtain hooks on a wood rod that is normaly used to hang clothes in a closet.
They slide away and tie them down when not in use. They been there for 3 years and still strong and shade everything ;-)
Let me know if you want pictures of it. Hawk

This post was edited

I took 2 nice looking fabric shower curtains and sewed them side by side to give me the lenght I needed to cover, then installed them using standard shower curtain hooks on a wood rod that is normaly used to hang clothes in a closet.They slide away and tie them down when not in use. They been there for 3 years and still strong and shade everything ;-)Let me know if you want pictures of it. HawkA picture would be very cool! I like to see what people do as much as I like hear about what they do. I have to upload pics from my phone so it isn't that convenient.

This post was edited