RE: speaking of technology......

I had an employee that wouldn't pull out of our shop ona service call without setting his navigator. Even if the house hewas going to 3 blocks away. And he's been there before! Iparticularly like waiting behind someone stopped at a green lightwhile they text or play with their smartphone.
I'm wearing out the horns on our cars with those texting people on
the road! The lights in our city are all screwed up and haven't
been adjusted in over a decade! According to the city Engineer and
traffic engineer, it's something that is in the works but these
damn lights are set to allow 4-8 cars at a time and that's it! If
someone's on their damn phone and doesn't go as soon as they can,
some poor bastard ... like me!, has to wait for another cycle of
the traffic light! I hate those people!

I think there should be some sort of device on phones where they
automatically shut off when the car's engine is on! Or a device on
the new car's engines where cell phones are disabled when the
engine is on. Something's gotta be done. It'sa
fricken nightmare out there with all these people thinking they can
text, talk and drive ...

The worst part is they kill other people not just themselves

This post was edited

what about those annoying robo operators and menus you have to go thru to just to talk to some one at a business, this particular one asked for my last name and when i gave it it told me to give last name only (which is two syllables), by the third time of going thru this nonsensense i was really annoyed and was swearing at the phone, which it didn't recognize either.I'm with you on this one definitely. I believe that I speak quite clearly and pronounce words correctly,and don't have a strong accent, in the past I've done voiceovers for video productions we used to make at one place I worked at without any feedback that I was not understood. I rarely have misunderstandings when speaking with real people, but run into numerous problems with robo operators. I'm English, living in England, I hate to think what its like for non-natives living here where English is a second language, or dred myself ever having to deal with a robo operator in my get-by level French and Spanish if I encounter those infernal machines while abroad. None of them recognise/interpret my swearing as the frustration grows either. I'd be rather shocked if they did and swore back at me!
@H8cloz a great picture you painted of our kids "apoplectic with laughter in the back seat, watching Daddy argue with the car."

This post was edited

I wrote and supported some of those automated attendant phone systems for 36 years. The real problem with those systems are the Monkey Business Administrators (MBAs) that had control over what was done, but had no understanding of the technology they controlled.
I did want the systems to recognize the obscenities and respond with "That's not nice," then repeat the last prompt. I would also question the MBAs, "If the callers didn't understand the statement they received in the mail, what makes you think they will understand the same words when the robot reads them?"
Bob

This post was edited

I wrote and supported some of those automated attendant phone systems for 36 years. The real problem with those systems are the Monkey Business Administrators (MBAs) that had control over what was done, but had no understanding of the technology they controlled.I did want the systems to recognize the obscenities and respond with "That's not nice," then repeat the last prompt. I would also question the MBAs, "If the callers didn't understand the statement they received in the mail, what makes you think they will understand the same words when the robot reads them?"BobIf only more of the MBA's would heed your advice!
I suspected the problem might be human, thanks for the confirmation.

This post was edited

"And another thing...since we're talking about annoying
technology; I'm sick of having to wave my hands around like a crazy
person just to get water to come out of a faucet or to get paper
towels in a restroom."

I find it frustrating and embarrassing to
realize that after waving my hands around for awhile, I find that I
am standing in front of one of the few machines that is not
motion activated.

This post was edited

Several years ago we were driving on a bridge over a gorge in Virginia. Apparently, the bridge was a replacement for a bridge that was about 300 feet below that only spanned the river. Miss Direction told me to "turn right" in the middle of the bridge. Yeah, I know. Update your map software. Problem with that is the updated maps are at least 1 year out of date the day they're released!

This post was edited

if one of those automated systems told me that's not nice after i swore at it, i'd be too busy laughing to swear at it again. and i tell people ahead of me at traffic lights to put the phone down and go at least once a week.

This post was edited