Florida?

Surprising that there are none scheduled there.
Admittedly it is a relatively conservative state, but Texas is more conservative and less tolerant of nudity and has 2.

This topic was edited
RE:Florida?

It has been tried in Miami before with no success. Now that I am retired and have some time on my hands, I am going to look into trying to organize one in South Florida. A few possible sites would be Key West, Fort Lauderdale / Wilton Manors, Miami. I think the local governments may be receptive to the idea, but the State would be the biggest roadblock.

This post was edited

Maybe, but like I said Texas is more conservative and less nude tolerant than Florida, but they still host 2.

This post was edited

The other day I was at the grocery store wearing my World Naked Bike Ride Summer Tour 2022 shirt and someone commented "Nice Shirt!" He asked me if I did all the ones listed on the back and I told him I did all of them except Philly and Houston and I will be doing those in the upcoming weeks. He said he did his first in New Orleans and loved it. I told him I was in Austin,TX that weekend since I already did NOLA twice in 2019 & 2021. He said it is too bad that there is not one in Florida and asked if I would ride in it if there was one here. I said absolutely and he said "Maybe we should try to organize one, I have a few friends that could help and one of them is pretty well connected politically". So, we exchanged numbers and agreed to meet after I return from the Houston ride. We are thinking of a route that would feature A1A along Fort Lauderdale beach probably from m17th st causeway to Sunrise Blvd. and down Wilton Drive in Wilton Manors. We agreed that while we would love to go down Las Olas Blvd it would be pretty much impossible unless we had Police cooperation. We also agreed that spring or fall would be best especially if it is done in daytime. This is all in the very early stages and most likely would be difficult to organize in time for 2023, but who knows?
The World Naked Bike Rides have 2 main objectives. One to protest the use of fossil fuels (Less gas more ass) And to raise awareness for bicycle safety (Can you see me now?) We will probably pursue the bicycle awareness angle since that is quite an issue down here.
Wish us luck!

This post was edited

The other day I was at the grocery store wearing my World Naked Bike Ride Summer Tour 2022 shirt and someone commented "Nice Shirt!" He asked me if I did all the ones listed on the back and I told him I did all of them except Philly and Houston and I will be doing those in the upcoming weeks. He said he did his first in New Orleans and loved it. I told him I was in Austin,TX that weekend since I already did NOLA twice in 2019 & 2021. He said it is too bad that there is not one in Florida and asked if I would ride in it if there was one here. I said absolutely and he said "Maybe we should try to organize one, I have a few friends that could help and one of them is pretty well connected politically". So, we exchanged numbers and agreed to meet after I return from the Houston ride. We are thinking of a route that would feature A1A along Fort Lauderdale beach probably from m17th st causeway to Sunrise Blvd. and down Wilton Drive in Wilton Manors. We agreed that while we would love to go down Las Olas Blvd it would be pretty much impossible unless we had Police cooperation. We also agreed that spring or fall would be best especially if it is done in daytime. This is all in the very early stages and most likely would be difficult to organize in time for 2023, but who knows?The World Naked Bike Rides have 2 main objectives. One to protest the use of fossil fuels (Less gas more ass) And to raise awareness for bicycle safety (Can you see me now?) We will probably pursue the bicycle awareness angle since that is quite an issue down here.Wish us luck!

Probably late for spring, but should have time for fall 2023.
How is Sunrise any better than Las Olas? If I remember correctly, traffic is just as bad, if not worse. Admittedly, I have only visited Ft Lauderdale a few times and you lived there for quite a while, so you know better than I do.

This post was edited

At the very least, it should be a lap around Dixie Highway and Andrews Avenue in Wilton Manors. (And/or, petitioning for permission to march nude in the Pride parade, ala Toronto/etc.)

This post was edited

Las Olas has been choked down to one lane in each direction and traffic is a nightmare. Sunrise is multiple lanes so a ride would not be as disruptive. The only way Las Olas would work would be if we could get the police to block it off to traffic before we arrive. The Dixie highway / Wilton Drive, Andrews avenue could be included, although probably not Andrews ave. The WNBR rides are typically 8-15 miles. But as I said this is in the very earliest stage. Once I get back from Houston we are going to start by mapping out a proposed route and doing a few dry runs to see how the route will work at various times. Our objective is to be as viable to as many people as possible without being too disruptive.
In my WNBR summer tour I got to know a few of the organizers of some of the rides. I will be reaching out to them for some advice.

This post was edited

Las Olas has been choked down to one lane in each direction and traffic is a nightmare. Sunrise is multiple lanes so a ride would not be as disruptive. The only way Las Olas would work would be if we could get the police to block it off to traffic before we arrive. The Dixie highway / Wilton Drive, Andrews avenue could be included, although probably not Andrews ave. The WNBR rides are typically 8-15 miles. But as I said this is in the very earliest stage. Once I get back from Houston we are going to start by mapping out a proposed route and doing a few dry runs to see how the route will work at various times. Our objective is to be as viable to as many people as possible without being too disruptive.In my WNBR summer tour I got to know a few of the organizers of some of the rides. I will be reaching out to them for some advice.

Haven't been in Ft. Lauderdale since February 2020 so I didn't know about the construction.

This post was edited

It isn't construction They are taking a lot of the east-west roads and cutting them down to one lane each direction to make them more pedestrian friendly. All while more high rise condos are being built on the beach. Sure is going to be interesting if they ever have to evacuate for a hurricane.

This post was edited

I would love to have bike ride in FL. St.Petersburg tired around 2008 or 2009 and it was a flop. Too many hurdles by city government. The political climate n Tampa and St. Pete is much better now.

This post was edited

I would love to have bike ride in FL. St.Petersburg tired around 2008 or 2009 and it was a flop. Too many hurdles by city government. The political climate n Tampa and St. Pete is much better now.
I think the political climate in Fort Lauderdale and more so Wilton Manors would probably be our best bet.Plus one of the guys in our group has some political connections that will at least get us in the door to put forth a proposal. We all agree that Bicycle awareness and safety will be our primary objective since hit and run seems to be a regular sport down here.

This post was edited