"Nudity-optional" resorts.

I was recently chatting with a Californian nudist who was bemoaning "the state" of the nudist resorts surrounding him. Specifically, the fact that in the many years he's been visiting these resorts, nudity has been progressively disappearing outside the pool area; to the point where it has become practically nonexistent. His biggest beef with it is that his wife - who "back in the day" used to spend the entire day naked - is now only naked in the pool. She covers up with a sarong because everyone else is now doing it.

I thought he might be exaggerating until I remembered a post by Andy alluding to the same issue. Californian resorts becoming more "nudity-optional" than "clothing-optional."

I draw a contrast between "C/O" and "N/O" resorts; as the idea behind "C/O" was to allow women to acclimate and not feel forced to be naked "at all times." It becomes "N/O" when nudity is not even encouraged or promoted anymore; sometimes even discouraged since few women will be comfortable staying nude when no one else is.

Admittedly, my wife and I are fairly insulated from any such development since we go to a "nude-obligatory" resort, where no one wears anything beyond utilitarian purposes. And we haven't been to a "C/O" resort in years. So I'm genuinely curious is this is actually "a thing happening."

This topic was edited
RE:"Nudity-optional" resorts.

For a few years my dog and I spent the winter in Glen Eden. We enjoyed hiking in the undeveloped part of the property until we learned that nudity was no allowed there. We left and went to DeAnza Springs.

This post was edited

Being a member of Glen Eden, the nudity on the perimeter of the club, up where the hiking trail is, was being developed with homes. The club didn't want to push the already strained relationship they had with neighbors so the no nudity on the trail rule was applied.

What Nudony is saying is true for several of the clubs/resorts we occasionally visit. It starts with the residents. How does someone buy into a nudist community, because they don't have to wear clothes, and all they do is wear clothes. I asked some of these people at Laguna Del Sol, Mira Vista, Olive Dell, DeAnza and the common response was, "we were naked all the time, after a while you just get bored with it."

So, if the full time residents are clothed more than naked, that rubs off on members. Pretty soon, hardly anyone is nude outside the pool area and if you are, you're looked at as weird or strange. It's one of the reasons my wife isn't that eager to return to Glen Eden as frequently as we used to. If we do, it's to RV camp and we just remain at our site and stay naked. We do go for walks naked and you would think the way some of the residents look at you, you were walking naked out in public and not within the confines of a nudist club/community.

This post was edited

I was recently chatting with a Californian nudist who was bemoaning "the state" of the nudist resorts surrounding him. Specifically, the fact that in the many years he's been visiting these resorts, nudity has been progressively disappearing outside the pool area; to the point where it has become practically nonexistent. His biggest beef with it is that his wife - who "back in the day" used to spend the entire day naked - is now only naked in the pool. She covers up with a sarong because everyone else is now doing it.I thought he might be exaggerating until I remembered a post by Andy alluding to the same issue. Californian resorts becoming more "nudity-optional" than "clothing-optional."I draw a contrast between "C/O" and "N/O" resorts; as the idea behind "C/O" was to allow women to acclimate and not feel forced to be naked "at all times." It becomes "N/O" when nudity is not even encouraged or promoted anymore; sometimes even discouraged since few women will be comfortable staying nude when no one else is.Admittedly, my wife and I are fairly insulated from any such development since we go to a "nude-obligatory" resort, where no one wears anything beyond utilitarian purposes. And we haven't been to a "C/O" resort in years. So I'm genuinely curious is this is actually "a thing happening."
What nude obligatory resort do you attend?

This post was edited

I've encountered a similar dynamic at local saunas/spas. There is a famiy-oriented Korean one with mandatory nudity that has become a lot more uptight to prevent sexual play. They've taken away relaxation areas, put in bright lights and loud music and installed glass walls for policing. It reminds me of a 1970s fast food restaurant; though naked it's no longer relaxing.
The Ukrainian spa on the other hand used to be about half naked and half sheet wrapped and now more than 9 of 10 men are covered most of the time. The regulars told me they don't mind nudity, but prefer to send a clear message that it's not the kind of place where you can play with your dick. I feel accepted there naked which is how saunas in my culture of origin are.
Unfortunately, nudity has become a loaded and mixed message, leaving "designated to be safe" nudity, such as the poolside of the resort, or dipping in the cold pool at the banya, more socially acceptable. I consider it important as a middle-aged man to set the example of being respectful, fit, naked and appropriate. It also likely helps that in such environments I usually leave my glasses in the locker and have dazed look where I'm too blind to be cruizey and happy if I don't walk into walls.

This post was edited

Considering the situation in the quote below, I don't understand what the base reason is behind leaving prescription glasses at the locker, and in so doing, possibly harming yourself or others. Is this some extraordinary sense of a deep need to be totally nude or more some misguided social safety factor, to avoid making eye-to-eye contact and make you seem less of a threat?

With me and my bad nearsightedness, if I were to leave my glasses behind I couldn't recognize any faces, and that would likely make me seem either aloof because I wouldn't know who to say hello to, or overly-friendly because I would feel the need to greet everyone verbally every time I saw some blurry body nearby. If the visit was only to experiences the spa for its therapeutic qualities, I suppose semi-blind would be a way to focus on the therapy and ignore everyone around, but that seems both dangerous and antisocial. I would probably break my neck getting into the pool if I didn't keep my glasses in place.

It also likely helps that in such environments I usually leave my glasses in the locker and have dazed look where I'm too blind to be cruizey and happy if I don't walk into walls.

This post was edited

Considering the situation in the quote below, I don't understand what the base reason is behind leaving prescription glasses at the locker, and in so doing, possibly harming yourself or others. Is this some extraordinary sense of a deep need to be totally nude or more some misguided social safety factor, to avoid making eye-to-eye contact and make you seem less of a threat?

I wrote this tongue in cheek. I'm near-sighted and generally avoid hitting walls and seeing fine details but recognize people from about 6 feet or 2 meters away. I manage without glasses, which get fogged or can fall off, when exercising and being in hot and humid environments.

This post was edited

We dont have a local club but about 15 years ago we became friends with an English couple who are members of their local club.

He was praising the facilities and that you could be naked everywhere all the time to which his wife chipped inwell you can be naked everywhere , I can only be nude at the pool.

The husband said that wasnt the rule, but his wife said the only time women are naked is at the pool everywhere else they dress in at the very least a sarong, usually a proper dress.

Neither of them could say why this was but it obviously annoyed the wife, Lorna agreed and added it would stop her joining that kind of club.

This post was edited

Good question. I suspect its this crazy obsession with nudity as a state or condition rather than naturism as a way of life. Someone said it this way.

"Naturism is a philosophy that we live and not an activity that we practice."
This concept is fast disappearing as naturism online is being coopted

https://naturistfiction.org/naturism-has-already-been-co-opted/

This post was edited

What Nudony is saying is true for several of the clubs/resorts we occasionally visit. It starts with the residents. So, if the full time residents are clothed more than naked, that rubs off on members. Pretty soon, hardly anyone is nude outside the pool area and if you are, you're looked at as weird or strange.

I remembered you mentioning this but I didn't want to misquote you. Thanks for the confirmation, Andy!

So...that confirmation also bums me out a little.

At our resort we spend maybe 15% of our time in the pool area, and the rest hanging out around the resort. If we visited a CA resort (which we've discussed as an eventuality - as part of a CA vacation), she would find being restricted to the pool area...annoying. And she certainly would not be ok being the only nude woman hiking around the resort - especially if she got "weird looks."

Oh well...

This post was edited

Interesting thoughts being brought up in this thread. My fianc and I are planning on taking the plunge into IRL social nudism this year and were planning on checking out the resorts here in Florida. The initial post brought up the idea that nudity is increasingly becoming scarce, and that if no one else is nude "why should I be". If we want to do more than dip our toes and truly feel comfortably, then should we look for Nudity Only resorts rather than Clothing optional? Assuming they exist

This post was edited