Art thoughts

I recently toured Chatsworth Manor near Litchfield England. The home is filled with old and modern art work.
I was touring with a female friend of mine and found her reaction a bit illogical. One room was filled with statues from Roman times
many of them in classical poses and nude. She made no comment. Then in another portion of the home there was a single statue of a modern piece of a male nude. The life size work depicted a man who had shed his skin and was holding it in his outstretched arm. So he is standing there with his muscles showing including his penis . All done in a gold metallic finish. She made a comment that such a work was not appropriate
in such a setting. I scratched my head as to her logic but did not press her as why one was ok and the other was not. Both showed the male member.

Thoughts?

This topic was edited
RE:Art thoughts

Everyone is entitled to their opinion when it comes to art, albeit I don't accept opinions that call for complete removal of art with nudity.
In this case you need to understand your friends opinion some more. I am assuming the modern piece seems too juxtaposed to the classical setting in which it's been exhibited rather than she is suggesting the 'nudity' is the problem. That said it's anatomical not a nude piece, and that may be the issue she is challenged by and why she feels it's juxtaposition

This post was edited

If the contemporary nude dude shed his skin, wouldn't his penis be included? After all it's not a muscle.
People are strange about art. I see art as a reflection of ourselves and how we see life, and what one says about art says a lot about one's self.

This post was edited

Could have been that she didn't like that his skin was not on his body.
I have heard people say that they didn't like the Bodyworks exhibit because there was something transparent where the skin would have been and they could see the muscles, skeleton and organs.

This post was edited

pics

This post was edited