RE: the hazards in autralia

yes we have lots of nasties in Australia, but unless cornered or threatened they prefer to leave people and animals alone.
If one comes up to a snake on a path just let it know your there and it will get the heck out of there if it hasn't already done so before you got there.
As for snakes attacking dogs, yes they do , in self defence..I live on a rural property and over 40+ years maybe killed 6 snakes in the house yard and lost 2 female dogs that got too close whereas the males will bail the snake up and wait for human intervention.
Noting a dog that has a snake bailed up will bark more aggressively than any normal bark.
I too love walking barefoot but even after these many years I still need protection from the stones. not the living nasties.
Take care and Enjoy being bare with nature,

This post was edited
RE: Barefoot off-trail hiking

I'm still barefoot as much as possible and would love to be able to hike barefooted. I think there are some trails where this can be done but most trails probably would have me watching each step to avoid small sharp rocks and that's not the kinda hiking I like to do. I will wear flip flops at a minimum and if there is soft enough trail, I will slip them off but haven't encountered as many of those soft trails as I'd like.
Barefooting all over our property is normal for me but not for my wife. She has beautiful feet. I think she could be a foot model! hahaha She takes extra care of them and is only barefoot inside and outside in our backyard but in the backyard on occasion. As a kid ... we were always barefoot and I stepped on my share of nails, glass and other sharp objects. Found myself in the emergency room for a tetanus shot or booster more than once! I think my grandmother finally made sure I had shoes on when I left the house after the last visit to the ER ... that trip was for stitches! hahaha
I think that's one of the reasons I love one particular nude beach resort we visit regularly, or used to anyway. I didn't even wear flip flops while at the resort for the entire time there. 10-14 days without clothes and shoes or flip flops was heaven! I also like to drive barefoot and will exit the car or truck to do some ATM banking or other errands where I can be barefoot. All this barefooting keeps our local "nail" salon in business. My wife goes in every couple of weeks for pedicures and I go along too. Keeps the feet looking nice with all the barefooting I do. :D

This post was edited

I have found that for such occasions Xero footwear have the answer - they hold better than flips flops (which BTW, are called Thongs in Australia), are lighter and more compact.
They come from the USA - https://xeroshoes.com/index-nav-mwc.phpand certainly worth a try. Whilst I have used their kit, frankly the ready made ones are simpler.
Bush hiking and Off trail hiking can often provide many opportunities to "loose the footwear" and enjoy the FULL SENSATION
https://www.barefoothealing.com.au/p/earthing-book/BKmakes excellent reading and I am a convert - now having to make the conscious decision to wear footwear - as opposed to previous times when the conscious decision was to go barefoot.
When you think about it, how often have we worn footwear for no other reason that we thought it was expected and others might think us odd if we were barefoot - well, what the.....
I still find it amazing how many self professed naturists still wear footwear.
Cheers

This post was edited

In the US ... they are also called "thongs." They are also called "flip flops, go aheads, sandals, zorries ..." does it really matter what they are called and what the correct name is for them? Is there really a correct name to use? hahaha
I do have one question regarding your opinion on those that are self professed nudists . MUST you go without shoes to be a nudist? And ... thanks for the link to the barefoot thongs/flip flops ... may just have to order us each a pair!
;-)

This post was edited
RE: If I may recommend an alternative that is safe, fun, and as natural as possible

I have been enjoying a new shoe called the Vibram five finger (google that) the shoe is the closest thing to being barefoot with out actually being barefoot. each toe has it's own spot, and there is a very thing but comfortable layer of rubber under it. I can hike, run, Kayak, rock climb, yoga, skateboard, and walk in them. these are great for nude and non nude adventures. I highly recommend them

I've heard of the Vibram five finger. Alot of ultra-marathoners are wearing them, to get as close to being barefoot as possible but still have some protection from rugged terrain. Seems they're finally figuring out that all those high-tech, uber expensive "running shoes" that were introduced in the '70's do more damage to your feet and body than just about anything else.

Jen

This post was edited
RE: If I may recommend an alternative that is safe, fun, and as natural as possible

I have been enjoying a new shoe called the Vibram five finger (google that) the shoe is the closest thing to being barefoot with out actually being barefoot. each toe has it's own spot, and there is a very thing but comfortable layer of rubber under it. I can hike, run, Kayak, rock climb, yoga, skateboard, and walk in them. these are great for nude and non nude adventures. I highly recommend them

I've heard of the Vibram five finger. Alot of ultra-marathoners are wearing them, to get as close to being barefoot as possible but still have some protection from rugged terrain. Seems they're finally figuring out that all those high-tech, uber expensive "running shoes" that were introduced in the '70's do more damage to your feet and body than just about anything else.

Jen

This post was edited

https://blogs.militarytimes.com/pt365/2014/05/19/vibram-settles-fivefingers-lawsuit-toe-shoe-owners-eligible-for-refund/

This post was edited

Experienced my first serious nude hike recently, and by nude, i mean nude, not partially nude wearing footwear. It was exhilarating.like the idea in earlier post to cronicle your hikes by notching the hiking stick. Will take that one on board.

This post was edited