Myth Buster Thread.

Hi guys, this thread is an opportunity for anyone to ask anything that they have heard and wondered if it's true or not, or anything else that is puzzling them.
Also if you are aware of any interesting or unbelievable facts, you can share them with us here.
Please quote the question that you are answering, so that if the OP leaves the site, the question will remain and the thread will still make sense.
:)

This topic was edited
RE: Myth Buster Thread.

Is it true that it is cheaper to leave a fluorescent light tube switched on, rather than keep turning it on and off due to the initial power serge when it's turned on?

This post was edited

Does it cost twice as much to boil two pints of water in an electric kettle, as it does to boil one pint?

This post was edited

Why has my computer suddenly started to repeatedly asked me to accept cookies, it's driving me MAD! ?
I don't want their bloody cookies! ... well, not unless they're chocolate chip! :)

This post was edited

Why is the UK having such lousy summers?

Answer:
Because someone keeps moving the Jet stream down over France. It usually crosses high above Scotland.
This means that the UK has often been above, instead of below it, causing a succession of low pressure
systems and weather fronts, to come in from the west, instead of those lovely warm high pressure systems
to come up from the south.
I have logged an official complaint!

This post was edited

Is it true that it is cheaper to leave a fluorescent light tube switched on, rather than keep turning it on and off due to the initial power serge when it's turned on?

Only if you will be turning it back on in less than 10 to 20 seconds depending on the bulb. The other issue is does the on/off cycle make the bulb fail sooner? No, but protect them from power surges and don't use dimmers or night sensing, electronic eyes to turn them on.

This post was edited

Why has my computer suddenly started to repeatedly asked me to accept cookies, it's driving me MAD! ?I don't want their bloody cookies! ... well, not unless they're chocolate chip! :)

If your browser recently had an update applied or you changed to a new browser, there was a change in the privacy settings. You are now set on "ask before accepting cookies". If you are concerned about online privacy, you might want to change to "don't accept cookies" but this will break some function on most sites. If you don't care, change back to "accept cookies".

What are cookies, you might ask... wiki link

This post was edited

Is it true that it is cheaper to leave a fluorescent light tube switched on, rather than keep turning it on and off due to the initial power serge when it's turned on?Depends on the starter.
The old vibrator starters, no.
Modern solid state or ballast starters, yes, but not because of the cost of leaving them burning.
Left on, they will last for years. Switched on and off, they can be killed in days. So, the "is it cheaper" is more aptly applied to the cost of replacement when you kill them than the cost of operation.
The biggest cost in the USA is if you drop one. We're supposed to call a hazmat team, bulldoze the house, and have the property declared a non-habitable hazardous waste area, and pay the cost of all that.
Isn't it wonderful that the democrats in the last Congress outlawed the manufacture of incandescents in the USA.
We can still have them, but we have to buy them from China.

This post was edited

Does it cost twice as much to boil two pints of water in an electric kettle, as it does to boil one pint?Not quite.
It takes twice as many BTU's to get into the water, yes, but there are also losses, such as the heat from the stove top that is lost to just heating the room.
Because of the nature of the losses, heating two is more efficient than heating one, but disregarding losses the cost of heating the water is exactly twice. Considering losses, the cost is somewhat less than twice.

This post was edited

That's great guys!

Thanks thanks for the replies :)

This post was edited

LED lamps are starting to come down in price. They are "green" as well as the CFLs, but do not contain mercury. They convert the AC to DC, so if you're like me, there is no annoying flicker and the color is closer to incandescent.
Bob

This post was edited