Photography Discussion

There seems to be a paucity of actual, useful photography discussion here on the forum or in the Groups.

Yes, there's an overabundance of photography groups... but they all seem to boil down to multiple topics on the same subjects:

a) men volunteering to pose nude
b) men looking for women to pose nude for them.

In both cases, generally unsuccessfully.

Maybe I've missed something? If so, please point me towards a group with active conversation and actual exchanges of info, hints, tips, techniques, etc.

This topic was edited
RE:Photography Discussion

If you are an amateur photographer join a photography site.

This post was edited

The suggestion of "hey go look somewhere else" kinda' defeats the purpose of the Groups here, does it not?

This post was edited

It does defeat the purpose. However, I am a freelance photographer. Whatcha wanna know?

Possible a real conversation will get started here. :)

This post was edited

It does defeat the purpose. However, I am a freelance photographer. Whatcha wanna know?Possible a real conversation will get started here. :)

Honestly I'm not looking for anything "specific"... just reading up on things. Technique, equipment, creative ideas, etc.

I've never had the opportunity to shoot nudes, and even my normal shots of people (clothed) are pretty basic... though that's partly because I've never had someone who actually wanted to "work" with me... do poses, take direction, actually spend time working to get some great shots. Maybe it's because I've never had the guts to ask? LOL

My first "proper" camera about 20 years ago was a hand-me-down 35mm SLR. No, not DSLR... an old, entirely manual (even loading and winding the film) frame that probably dated back to the early 80s. I got an small assortment of lenses with it though... especially a nice 300mm telephoto. I spent a lot of time - and money of film and developing - shooting motorsport events with that. No autofocus though, so taking a clear shot of cars speeding by was work! (and hit or miss for quite a while)

Now I have a Canon T3i with the basic 18-55mm lens on it. Love that camera, but the lens is holding me back I find. The one thing I was best at shooting (race cars) is more or less un-shootable with an 18-55mm lens. It's impossible to get close enough to frame them well. Saving the pennies for now.

What are your favorite pieces of equipment? Lenses? Filters? Etc.

This post was edited

I am currently running with a sony a6500 and I LOVE it. Super easy to use. Super fast and excellent pictures, with a bonus of 4k video filming. I have a 16mm Sony 2.8f that takes good pictures, but im upgrading to a sigma 24 1.6. i have only chose that because i have used one and the difference in pictures is amazing. But ultimately. The more pictures you take the better you get. The more pictures you look at and try to dissect, the better you get.

I am constantly trying to imitate favorite photographers, and when im not imitating, i can see a definite increase in my quality of composition.

This post was edited

It does defeat the purpose. However, I am a freelance photographer. Whatcha wanna know?Possible a real conversation will get started here. :)Honestly I'm not looking for anything "specific"... just reading up on things. Technique, equipment, creative ideas, etc.I've never had the opportunity to shoot nudes, and even my normal shots of people (clothed) are pretty basic... though that's partly because I've never had someone who actually wanted to "work" with me... do poses, take direction, actually spend time working to get some great shots. Maybe it's because I've never had the guts to ask? LOLMy first "proper" camera about 20 years ago was a hand-me-down 35mm SLR. No, not DSLR... an old, entirely manual (even loading and winding the film) frame that probably dated back to the early 80s. I got an small assortment of lenses with it though... especially a nice 300mm telephoto. I spent a lot of time - and money of film and developing - shooting motorsport events with that. No autofocus though, so taking a clear shot of cars speeding by was work! (and hit or miss for quite a while)Now I have a Canon T3i with the basic 18-55mm lens on it. Love that camera, but the lens is holding me back I find. The one thing I was best at shooting (race cars) is more or less un-shootable with an 18-55mm lens. It's impossible to get close enough to frame them well. Saving the pennies for now.What are your favorite pieces of equipment? Lenses? Filters? Etc.

First a little background. When I was 14 and 15 I was in a gun club. We had safety classes and range time for qualifications. I made it to the NRA rank of sharpshooter plus 4 bars. I keep the skills up by taking handheld pictures that should be taken with a tripod. I also moonlighted as a wedding photographer for about 15 years.

Now, to get pictures of moving cars, you do not want to be close to them. You will need a long lens. Frame your picture in the viewfinder but follow/pan with the car by looking over your camera. You will need to lock all your body parts above the waist and rotate with your feet. You should get a fairly sharp picture of the car with the background showing motion blur.

By the way, with my single shot target rifle using peep sights I can pick off flies at 50 feet.

Bob

This post was edited

Picked up a 55-250mm lens yesterday....so I'm pretty excited to get to a track now.

I feel like what I need to do now to improve on my basic skills is just shoot, shoot and shoot some more. Bytes are free. I just need to find the time to spend a whole day out and about with the camera, shooting things over and over, changing settings, learning how each change affects the others, etc.

This post was edited

i too started on a slr about 30 years ago, depending on what you photographed you may have wasted a bit of film, i like to photograph nature and wildlife and have ended up with a fair share of pictures of tree branches, weeds and water with nothing in it. nice thing about dslrs is you can shoot as many pictures as you want and simply delete the wants you don't like.
if you shoot wildlife a lens with VR (vibration reduction) is nice to have because wildlife doesn't always cooperate and very few will actually pose for you.

This post was edited

Yeah my new 55-250mm has Image Stab... love it.

Here's a question aimed more at Canon users I think:

Picture Styles - Anyone have a link to a page with suggested settings to improve the defaults? I spent a good bit of time yesterday working out more of the manual settings than I've ever tried before, which was cool. But after some reading I'm seeing that people are often dissatisfied with the default settings in the Canon Picture Styles programs. If you know of some ways to improve these let me know...

I'll keep Googling in the mean time.

This post was edited