If a Neighbor Can See You Naked, Do You Have to Cover Up?

"What does the law say about my right to be naked in my own home?"

www.nytimes.com/2018/01/27/realestate/if-a-neighbor-can-see-you-naked-do-you-have-to-cover-up.html

This topic was edited
RE:If a Neighbor Can See You Naked, Do You Have to Cover Up?

Talk to them and see what their opinion is first. I did and ask if they were offended to let me know instead of calling the police. One agreed and the other said do what you want, it's your backyard.

Yep you will probably be surprised. We talked with our neighbors years ago and they dont care. Two have two story homes that pretty much have full view of our backyard. They both said okay whatever when we told them they might see more than one would usually see. I am in the backyard nude every day at least doing pool maintenance. I know Ive been seen. At this point if they dont want to see it they close their blinds but they really dont care.

This post was edited

Lucky I don't have to be bothered over been nude in my garden (or any other gardens) as it is my legal right to be nude.

This post was edited

Vermont is the only state I am aware of where nudity is legal.

This post was edited

Vermont is the only state I am aware of where nudity is legal.

Probably correct but Im no expert. However, I do know the definition of indecent exposure varies widely between states and local jurisdictions. In California it is nude AND lewd. So there has to be sexual behavior or the like in addition to being nude. It doesnt mean they cant use disturbing the peace or something like that.

This post was edited

I suppose it would depend on if you have taken measures not to be seen at home then you would have a case. If you expose yourself at a window , the law might see it differently.

This post was edited

Public nudity is legal in most places in Oregon as well. There are just a few jurisdictions that have local ordinances but even those arent outright prohibitions. Lewd behavior is illegal however as it should be.

This post was edited

Not only State to State but the local judiciaries opinion for they are the ones that hand down the decision.

This post was edited

For now, I'm only concerned about my backyard, my neighbors, my city and my county. I have it on very good authority that not only will I not get in trouble for being nude in my own backyard but I've done so much to provide us privacy, our neighbors would be considered voyeurs and peeping Toms for going to great lengths to see us naked back there. That person giving me this info is well aware of the laws and ordinances where I live. Could be why I've never been given any grief, if/when we've been seen.

This post was edited

For the benefit of any UK residents who have not seen it, here is the latest official police guidance on the subject.
https://library.college.police.uk/docs/nudity.pdf
The first column on the second page is the relevant information although it is all worth reading.

This post was edited

Nudity anywhere in public is generally a minor offense. I have found that in this day and time someone, a neighbor, a person passing by will be OFFENDED when spotting you naked. I say let them be offended if you are in the confines of your own property and not blatantly displaying yourself. We are part of a society where someone can be offended by anything these days. Being offended is not illegal. No matter where you live there will always be at least one neighbor that is a nuisance. This is one reason I have chosen not to live in an established residential development.
It would be interesting to know if the ratio of complaints is higher for men than women being spotted. I feel sure most nude females enjoying their back yard and having been spotted by a male neighbor would be applauded, as I would, while most likely the opposite would be true for males spotted by a female neighbor? Any thoughts on this?
A mans castle may no longer be his castle! We may have to return to digging a moat for privacy.
I say you should be able to do as you wish in your own back yard. Period.

This post was edited