Why is Nudity Good

There is a dreadful anxiety surrounding nudity among many in the general public. A rather common opinion is that nudity is wrong, sinful, and offensive and best left practiced behind closed doors if people must engage in nudism so that they do not offend others by exposing themselves. Some object to any public exposure of a naked human body on moral, religious or decency grounds and regard the exposure of a naked body as inherently sexual.

Like pretty much any activity or state of being, nudity has good positive benefits. These benefits of nudity and nude activities include but are not limited to sunbathing, swimming, enjoying nature and simply socializing. Naturism is the philosophy of living in harmony with nature and the acceptance of the human body as naturally good and wholesome.

There is, of course, no necessary connection between nudity and sex, but rather only a coincidental one. Nudity does not need to imply sex in the least. There is a difference between displaying genitalia in a mixed social setting and sexual behavior. All conventional nudist organizations reject the use of the terms nudism or naturism as a cover for sexual activity. Most nudists are very conservative and monogamous in their sexual behavior.. This is not to say that nudists are against sexuality or passing judgment on sexual activities among consenting adults. Nudists simply believe as most of society does that there is an appropriate time and place for it. Naturists enjoy social nudity, but like everyone else they keep their sex life private.

Nudism is a wholesome, healthy lifestyle and there are innumerable reasons to be nude when you can. Being nude in a comfortable and relaxed situation is a serene and wonderful experience and offers the freedom to be happy, healthy, active, productive, sane, social, bold, unashamed, and truly alive. Social nudism is an interesting and effective way to communicate and bond with others. Nudity is relaxing and stress-relieving, which is healthy for the body and mind. Nudity also has other positive physical health benefits. Moderate exposure to sunlight increases Vitamin D intake and actually improves many aspects of skin health, discouraging fungal and bacterial infections. In fact, sunlight exposure is even sometimes prescribed for people with some skin diseases. Nudity allows more exposure and gets sunlight to body areas normally neglected.

Nudity is not an activity or act or a behavior, but simply a lifestyle in the absence of clothing. Participating in social nudist gatherings is not an event, its just an opportunity to feel free, be comfortable and healthy. I think it is always important to remember that you are not getting nude for others, but getting nude for yourself. Nudism shows people can be nude with dignity. The human body should be considered sacred and beautiful. Nudism is a way to enjoy nudity the highest level. We should be proud and feel pure while nude, not ashamed or dirty-feeling.

This topic was edited
RE:Why is Nudity Good

Well stated. Agreed totally.

This post was edited

Adding to that from a religious perspective, we are made in Gods image, when people say a naked body is dirty or disgusting, shame others for being naked, or someone is ashamed of their naked body, they are saying God or at the very least his handiworkis dirty, disgusting, or something to be ashamed of.

To me this is an oxymoron of the religious objections to nudity and naturism.

This post was edited

I suppose you could turn the title of this thread on its head and say: "Why is being clothed good?"

Of course, sometimes clothing is good, when climate makes nudity uncomfortable. But when you don't need it for comfort, why is it considered good to wear clothing anyway? The reasons range from the sexual (sparking "impure thoughts" in the jargon of some religions) to the esthetic (some people enjoy fashion and being fashionably dressed). And, as one panelist on the show "Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me" pointed out, one doesn't have to carry towels around all the time. She had a point there!

But otherwise, it would seem that clothing could safely be dispensed with, and it's a puzzle to me why it isn't.

This post was edited

I can only answer this as someone new to public nudity. I had my first public nude experience just a couple of months ago. I have been a home nudist for decades but had never been in a publicly nude situation outside of a locker room since I became an adult. Private nudity was safe because I was alone. Nudity in the locker room was safe because I was part of a crowd. For most of my childhood nudity was not safe; nudity with being unclothed by choice did not exist. When I was unclothed I was naked and the two words mean different things to me; for me nudity indicates choice, naked means powerless, defenceless and vulnerable.
My choice to be publicly nude was an incredible experience. I was in a group with people I had literally first seen 15 minutes ago hiking naked to a beach with more nude people and there wasnt a door in sight to duck through. Strangely enough it was incredibly easy to strip for the hike to the beach but the act of being nude took an incredible amount of pre-thinking, of working out the issues in my head and a conscious decision to take a deliberate risk. My choice to be nude was remarkably freeing and, deep inside, a small broken piece of my soul began to heal. Even were I to experience nothing else from being nude that small piece of healing makes it all worthwhile.
But for me the benefits did not stop there. Being nude with a group of strangers was probably the time in my life that I felt completely unjudged, we were just a group of people hanging out, chatting about most anything and enjoying a beautiful sunny day. No one judged my body, saggy skin and all...the place was filled with a plethora of shapes and sizes and I barely noticed because I was engaged with people with no physical barriers between us. I was more comfortable, nude, with these people than almost any other time in my life clothed.
The physicality of being nude in the outdoors amazed me because it was so unexpected. I dont mean physicality in the sense of doing physical activity or something strenuous. The physicality Im talking about is the fact that I was in complete contact with my body and the world around me, I felt breezes that were not affected by clothing , breezes free to reach parts of my body that had never been exposed to a breeze in this way. There was a mixture of sand and gravel under my feet, my skin was being kissed by the sun beating down on my body and there was not one single place on my body where the sun dont shine. I have MS and there is a suspected link between MS and vitamin D, a vitamin my body was producing in goodly amounts as I was open to the rays of the sun.
For myself I have experienced, even in the short time I have been been nude in public, physical, mental, psychological and spiritual benefits. I can only imagine what changes I will see when my nude experience has been years rather than the two months it has been. There is a new sense of freedom in my demeanour and I cannot say how much more secure in myself that I feel. Proof of that starts with my membership on this site, something I couldnt even have imagined even 6 months ago. Like I said this is my personal list of benefits I have experienced, others may get different mileage. So far I have no downside to my first short period of public nudity and it is nude, not naked.

This post was edited

Very good essay on the subject!

This post was edited