Why do we tend to be ashamed to be nudists?

I have read many accounts of our reactions to running into someone we know at a nudist event or location. Most of them indicate that there is a worry that the other person now knows of our love for being clothes free, and sometimes the writing feels like we are ashamed of ourselves. We drive for hours to be at resorts or beaches just so others don't find out. We wall off our backyards not just to be in compliance of the law and local culture, but so the neighbors don't find out. We live away from neighbors in our country homes which were bought so we have a place to be nude without fear of being caught. What reasons do we have for this feeling?

I have an open back yard in town. I can only be nude in the house or after dark. I have not done it for years now, but I can get to a secluded beach, but going to the beach alone is not much fun. In either case right now the mosquitos and biting flies make being outside while nude just that much more of me covered in insect repellent. The closest WNBR is a five hour drive, and it does not seem appropriate to use that much fossil fuel to protest the use of fossil fuels.

This topic was edited
RE:Why do we tend to be ashamed to be nudists?

Personally, I don't want to take the risk of getting accused of or arrested for public indecent exposure. Even if most people don't care, all it takes is one person to make an issue out of it with the authorities. I'm not ashamed to be a nudist because I don't consider myself one, given the prejudice that is practiced in nudism. But my relationship with pants remains casual. As far as being seen naked in a publicly sanctioned or private space, I can stand naked and proud.

This post was edited

I am of the not wanting trouble with the law attitude, but my question is really about encountering other naked people we know at a place nudity is customarily allowed; beaches, resorts, events, and such; and finding it to be embarrassing, even to the point of avoiding the other person.

This post was edited

I get that. I think that my main concern would be making the other person uncomfortably by letting them know that I know that they're nudist. Of course, it's sort of a given that when we're all naked together, that shouldn't be a concern, but it is, anyway. It may not be what they're expecting, and I may not be what they've expected me to be.

It's not a question of shame for me, though.

This post was edited

I think it all depends on the relationship. Work is work. Casual is casual. It you see someone you know say hello, then continue as you would in the normal environment. Don't linger if you don't linger at work or wherever. Its just another venue.
There Re many ways to comment if seeing others after the nude occurrence without saying either was nude.
How was the beach, hot springs, hike, or whichever event.
I do comment some location are more natural than others in my discussions with others. And follow their lead from there.

This post was edited

I did meet people I'm connected with through my work naked in the sauna, even once one of the VIP guys. Nothing bad happened and nothing to worry about I guess. What do you think why we should be ashamed when getting revealed as nudists by other like minded people?

This post was edited

Perhaps ashamed is not the right word, but many of the narratives of meeting a nudist whom you did not know was a nudist describe an uneasiness about the meeting. Some have expressed an avoidance of contact by many different means. Others have written of uneasy conversations. Then there are some that express shock over finding out the other person visits nude venues.

This post was edited

I understand the concern, laws vary state to state. But being in your backyard shouldnt be an issue. Check your stat and city laws though. Meeting someone you know is often a surprise but I have to assume they are there for the same reasons and I just dont make it awkward. Give them the same respect you are owed. Say hi and see where it goes. They cannot out you as a nudist with out outing theirselves.
As for mosquitos, go to vitamin store and get vitamin B1 with Thiamine . Start taking daily. It takes about 2 weeks to get in your system but youll notice the mosquitoes, ticks and chiggers leaving you alone. ( no a multivitamin does not have enough in it )
I have 6 bushes in my back yard but the landscape guys trimmed them last week. Seems a little more see through now but I still enjoy my backyard nude. Roommate does too. If someone is going to stop and look that is on them.

This post was edited

I understand the concern, laws vary state to state. But being in your backyard shouldnt be an issue. Check your stat and city laws though. Meeting someone you know is often a surprise but I have to assume they are there for the same reasons and I just dont make it awkward. Give them the same respect you are owed. Say hi and see where it goes. They cannot out you as a nudist with out outing theirselves.As for mosquitos, go to vitamin store and get vitamin B1 with Thiamine . Start taking daily. It takes about 2 weeks to get in your system but youll notice the mosquitoes, ticks and chiggers leaving you alone. ( no a multivitamin does not have enough in it )I have 6 bushes in my back yard but the landscape guys trimmed them last week. Seems a little more see through now but I still enjoy my backyard nude. Roommate does too. If someone is going to stop and look that is on them.

A backyard shouldn't be an issue, but it can be.
Once when our younger son was a toddler, my wife was helping him change on from his swimsuit to shorts on the deck around the pool (before we had a privacy fence). He escaped and started running around the pool nude. Later that week, my wife heard the doorbell. It was someone from state Child Protection. Someone had complained that they saw a naked child in our yard. Nothing became of the incident, but that is how some people react to nudity, even of a 3 year old!

This post was edited

Let me test the transparency of your shrubs for you - lol!

This post was edited

I have read many accounts of our reactions to running into someone we know at a nudist event or location. Most of them indicate that there is a worry that the other person now knows of our love for being clothes free, and sometimes the writing feels like we are ashamed of ourselves. We drive for hours to be at resorts or beaches just so others don't find out. We wall off our backyards not just to be in compliance of the law and local culture, but so the neighbors don't find out. We live away from neighbors in our country homes which were bought so we have a place to be nude without fear of being caught. What reasons do we have for this feeling?

I welcome the day of being at place of nudity (legal or other) where I bump into somebody I know if they are also nude. No shame here at all.
We do drive for hours to get to (mostly) legal locations as society has marginalised nudity and laws are harsh for being nude in the vast spaces in between.
My backyard is made private (not walled though) to stop the perverts from seeing me/us - this is not necessarily my neighbours.

Our visibility, or lack thereof, to the wider public is all about those who'll make an issue of it - and yes they are usually the people who lack the courage to also be nude!

This post was edited