Nudist "terms" and "word choices": what they actually mean and why they are used

I was posting (in another forum) and used the term "naked in front of people." A gentleman responded that he felt "naked in front of people" is a poor choice of words. That got me thinking about the terms we sometimes use while discussing social nudism.

Not everything is meant to be taken "literally." They can be meant to emphasize or draw a contrast between two opposites. Here's some examples.

"Completely naked." Taken literally, it's a redundant term; like "first-time newbie." If someone is naked, then the absence of clothing is already surmised. But the intention for me, when using that term, is to draw a contrast between "partially covered" and "fully uncovered." To the reader, it draws attention to the fact that nudity spoken of is "head to toes"; or "neck to ankles", if a hat and shoes are worn.

"Openly naked." Unless someone is nude, but sitting in a corner clammed up and hiding, they are going to be "openly naked" to the casual observer. And when I use it, I certainly don't mean "sprawled out for all to see" either. I am actually referring to a behavior/attitude of demonstrating confidence while socially nude, with little to no body-shame/inhibition about being seen nude by other people while interacting with them. "Openly" not just as a physical state; but also as a state of mind. Perhaps even more so.

"Naked in front of people." That one can be both literal and figurative. When my wife "do our rounds" to chat with the people we know at the resort - who are often lounging in their lounge chairs - we are literally standing naked in front of them. But figuratively speaking, it can also indicate being comfortable with social nudist interactions. It's got nothing to do with "attention-seeking behavior."

I think we're all familiar with the term "parading around naked." That one is mostly used by non-nudists to mock us. I've never seen nudists walking around in a single line around the pool area "showing off." It is obviously a figurative reference to us being exhibitionists.

Just some thoughts on the terms we use and how they are interpreted. It can be difficult to make a point without using them; yet they are often prone to misinterpretation.

Thoughts?

This topic was edited
RE:Nudist "terms" and "word choices": what they actually mean and why they are used

Many of the topics on the forum are actually about term interpretation and individual meaning related to the term usage. You make some good points. What is funny is that people try to define terms related to being nude when in fact, being nude is simply being without clothing. It neither makes us a nudist or naturist as people are nude in a lot of settings without being a naturist or nudist. We prefer to be in a state without clothing but are really just people that are trying to make a living, loving our family and friends, and like to do all kinds of activities. Live and let live. Be kind. Help others. Clothing is a choice or not and it does not make a personthe person makes the situation. I liked your comments.

This post was edited
RE:Nudist "terms" and "word choices": what they actually mean and why they are used

Ive been on nude Internet forums for almost 18 years and Im still amazed at the number of discussions about semantics there are. Most of these discussions matter only to us, the rest of the world doesnt care. It seems to me that we should devote this time and effort to improving our dismal public image, but what do I know?

This post was edited

I was posting (in another forum) and used the term "naked in front of people." A gentleman responded that he felt "naked in front of people" is a poor choice of words. That got me thinking about the terms we sometimes use while discussing social nudism.Not everything is meant to be taken "literally." They can be meant to emphasize or draw a contrast between two opposites. Here's some examples."Completely naked." Taken literally, it's a redundant term; like "first-time newbie." If someone is naked, then the absence of clothing is already surmised. But the intention for me, when using that term, is to draw a contrast between "partially covered" and "fully uncovered." To the reader, it draws attention to the fact that nudity spoken of is "head to toes"; or "neck to ankles", if a hat and shoes are worn."Openly naked." Unless someone is nude, but sitting in a corner clammed up and hiding, they are going to be "openly naked" to the casual observer. And when I use it, I certainly don't mean "sprawled out for all to see" either. I am actually referring to a behavior/attitude of demonstrating confidence while socially nude, with little to no body-shame/inhibition about being seen nude by other people while interacting with them. "Openly" not just as a physical state; but also as a state of mind. Perhaps even more so."Naked in front of people." That one can be both literal and figurative. When my wife "do our rounds" to chat with the people we know at the resort - who are often lounging in their lounge chairs - we are literally standing naked in front of them. But figuratively speaking, it can also indicate being comfortable with social nudist interactions. It's got nothing to do with "attention-seeking behavior."I think we're all familiar with the term "parading around naked." That one is mostly used by non-nudists to mock us. I've never seen nudists walking around in a single line around the pool area "showing off." It is obviously a figurative reference to us being exhibitionists.Just some thoughts on the terms we use and how they are interpreted. It can be difficult to make a point without using them; yet they are often prone to misinterpretation.Thoughts?

I've been guilty of misuse of terms. I've been guilty of restating the fact that I'm naked after I've already typed that we live naked almost everyday, all day. It's like when I'll say, " I worked in the garage naked. I worked out in the backyard naked. I did this naked, did that naked." We're almost always naked so it really doesn't need to be said.

Another non nudist saying is "prancing naked." I've never pranced and never seen nudists prance. Another jab at us from the non enlightened.

Some in this community don't seem to like the word naked. Nude is preferred. Then there's those that complain about being labeled. Don't label me a nudist/naturist, "I'm just one who prefers not wearing clothes whenever I can and like doing it in nature when possible." That is one long description or a nudist/naturist.

You bring up some very good points. There's most likey a difference from those disputing terms you use because, they've not been in the nudist/naturist community of lifestyle nearly as long as you and I have. I can't even imagine how many online nudist/naturist you and I have crossed paths with, communicated with and even bantered with on all these sites we've been on.

This post was edited

Yes, words have meaning. Yes, those meanings are how we articulate to one another. And I am aware of the differences between naked (i.e. without something) and nude (a state of being). But I am inclined to agree with the post above - it should not matter. Some people just prefer one term over another

This post was edited

I was posting (in another forum) and used the term "naked in front of people." A gentleman responded that he felt "naked in front of people" is a poor choice of words. That got me thinking about the terms we sometimes use while discussing social nudism.Not everything is meant to be taken "literally." They can be meant to emphasize or draw a contrast between two opposites. Here's some examples."Completely naked." .......Just some thoughts on the terms we use and how they are interpreted. It can be difficult to make a point without using them; yet they are often prone to misinterpretation.Thoughts?

I like this post - its a perennial topic of conversation and it actually crosses between cultural norms (both nudists and non) as well as 'just good old' correct use of the English language.

Completely nude (or completely naked) is an incorrect use of the English language. It is in fact an example of tautology. Being nude (or naked) means to literally have no clothes on at all. As nudists we do contradict this though; by way of wearing footwear or headwear. If you have only a shirt on you can be described as naked from the waist down though....just to really complicate matters....

I believe the use of the words nude and naked are interchangeable. However, I use the word nude when I am being a nudist and/or describing my own state of unclothedness. I use naked when I describe others and their state of unclothedness.

This post was edited

Take away "naked" in your terms above and you get complete, open, in front of others, parading, etc., to show intent without happening to have any clothes on.
Resorts are social bubbles with their own rules, signals/flagging and ways of interacting. I have not been to enough to understand or describe them in general. Given how many discriminate against singles, much of the social interaction appears to focus on couples' interaction, either directly or indirectly. I've found a similar dynamic at churches with men and women perhaps interacting separately from one another while referencing the other to be socially acceptable.
Among certain nudists there seems to be a fear of exhibitionism, the derivation of sexual gratification through compulsive display of one's genitals. If nudism takes away the normal shock value associated with exposed genitals, then I see "parading around naked" similar to parading in other attention-seeking manner including wearing flamboyant clothes or ostentatious designer labels.
It's outside of a nudist community that the word "naked" is added to a verb which is more indicative of someone's discomfort with nudity than a description of the action. The word choice is, in other words, choosing to include "naked" as a qualifer or not.

This post was edited

If you have only a shirt on you can be described as naked from the waist down though....just to really complicate matters....
I have also heard the expression naked from the waist up which has the same problem.

This post was edited

If you have only a shirt on you can be described as naked from the waist down though....just to really complicate matters....I have also heard the expression naked from the waist up which has the same problem.

"Partially nude" can mean a lot of things. It can mean topless, bottomless, a loosely worn sarong, a cover-up/robe left open in the front, etc...
Because there can be so many reasons behind "partial nudity" (body-shame/shyness, cold, protection from the sun, bugs, etc...), and so many variations of it, it is difficult to convey "context" or motivation without being more descriptive.

This post was edited

It's all semantics! The glass is half empty or half full, donald ducking, clothed from the waist up, you can leave your hat on...
Sometimes it's fun to play with words and people's expecations, like testing the sign "no shoes, no shirt, no service" by just wearing shoes and a shirt.

This post was edited

To cut & paste a quote from the first in this thread of thoughtful reflection on words we all use in here:

I think we're all familiar with the term "parading around naked." That one is mostly used by non-nudists to mock us. I've never seen nudists walking around in a single line around the pool area "showing off." It is obviously a figurative reference to us being exhibitionists.

Lots of wisdom in the rest of the OP words, along with a rather determined rending of the ideas under discussion by others, some more poignant than others. Since in the last few hours so many have weighed in - and I feel kicked the conversational horse enough already - I will only add a feeble attempt at humor: If you want to see parading nudists you should reserve a tent spot for White Tail Resort's Beachfest in August, and make sure you are poolside to witness our infamous conga dance. Better still, stand up and get involved in that undulating cue ~ become part of the naked parade!! All are welcome to join and hilarity does follow. If you're as easily amused as most of us, anyway.

Do be aware - no reservations for that weekend are accepted until Memorial Day Friday - office opens at 8am sharp!

This post was edited