NEIGHBOURS AND NUDE ISSUES

Sharing for all of us who have had issues with neighbours.

We moved to a new property a few years ago. The fences were all short and broken, we spoke to the 3 neighbours who agreed on new fences and we requested 8 foot high fences and everyone was happy with that.

After the fences were up we started to go naked in our backyard for gardening, some breakfast and lunch days or just to have a sit in the sun. One day our back neighbour who we did not know well came around and said she could see us naked from her house and wanted it stopped immediately.

We didnt agree to anything and she stormed off. We walked around the whole back yard and we could not see any neighbours from our property so ignored her and kept going naked. On a Saturday afternoon the police arrived at our house, I slipped a pair of short on lol.

They told us the neighbour had made a complaint about public decency and said we were showing ourselves naked in public. The two cops were very friendly and said we were not required to comply but could they see the back yard, we agreed as we had no issue with this.

They stated that the area was totally enclosed from the neighbours, they said they would talk to the back neighbour and come back to let us know what happens. They came back in about 30 minutes and were both smiling and giggling. We chatted for a bit and they told us the neighbour showed them if she got up on her pool deck on tippy toes and then leaned right over almost falling off the desk, then she could see us naked.

I asked if this was a joke and they said no that she was totally serious. I then said what is her problem and they started laughing, I asked why, what did she say? One cop told us that her actual complaint was that one of the guys has very large testicles and she found that offensive.

I put my hand up and said to the cops, that would be me, we all had a laugh. The cops told us to keep doing whatever we wanted in our yard and that they had told her there was nothing to complain about.

Before leaving one cop asked if we ever went to Sunnyside, a popular nude beach here, I thought he was going to suggest we go there instead of the backyard. I told him we often went there in summer, to my surprise he said well I might see you there, shouldnt be hard to spot you and again we all laughed before they left.

This topic was edited
RE:NEIGHBOURS AND NUDE ISSUES

awesome Cops who know how to deal with the neighborhood karen and have a sense of humor. I hope you meet up on the beach and hear about some of his other adventures dealing with the karens of the world.

This post was edited

What a great story! In the Midwestern US laws regarding nudity are often written vaguely enough to be interpreted in the eyes of the reader who may be easily offended. That means that whereas most nudity is nonoffensive and most people could care less, you never know what police or judges could make a big deal out of nothing. Here's to you with your big swaying testicles - may you share a naked fist bump with that officer at your local nude beach soon.

This post was edited

I agree wholeheartedly with you & the officers take on the prying neighbor. And I suspect the officers have more hilarious stories about public complaints & activities than we could ever imagine. Its good to know that you have ones with both brains & a sense of humor. If word gets around, you may even one day have a nude backyard party for the shift. You never know! LOL.

This post was edited

Been living naked inside and outside our homes since1976. Prior to that, we lived in apartments. We know we've been fortunate enough to have tolerant neighbors. They either didn't care, enjoyed it or had a live and let live attitude with our being naked when they saw us. I've often thought about raising the height on our current side yard fence. Because of our attitude toward nude living, all neighbors have seen us naked too many times to count. It is possible that one, a few or every one of them has called the cops but we've never, ever had a cop come to the door for that reason or any reason.

Some nudists just have busy body neighbors with too much time on their hands. I would think that a non-nudist neighbor would think it was a novelty to have nudist neighbors. It is also possible that we've had nudists as neighbors, but they weren't comfortable being nude outside their home.

This post was edited

This is a great outcome for you both, and kudos to the cops who exercised real discretionary policing that makes sense.
You're lucky though, many cops would still have charged you and you'd find yourself in court proving you can't be easily seen in your backyard. That's lazy policing but it sure happens!

This post was edited

Not sure what the charge would be since the Summary Offences act in Victoria sets the standard as the genitals or anus being exposed in a public area or within sight of a public area. That reads to me that visibility from a neighbouring back yard would be in the realm of neighbourly compromise.

I agree that it's good the police were sympathetic as they could perhaps put pressure on to some degree. Next time I see police presence at Sunnyside, I'll start wondering... :-)

This post was edited

Great story with a great ending. When nudity wins, we all win.

My backyard is fenced in. To the right there is an 8 foot fence and it is not possible for the neighbors to see my yard. To the back is a 6 foot fence. If the neighbor is in their yard, they cant see into mine but if they are in their kitchen, it puts them just high enough to see in backyard but not a great view. I have a hedgerow to the left and in the summer, it blocks that neighbors view completely.

I am fairly certain that the neighbor to the back has seen my GF and I nude on many occasions and simply does not mind because nothing has been said in over 17 years. We are lucky in that I can stay nude while grilling or just sitting on the patio in the summer with a drink and some tunes.

I think most people are accepting of the nude lifestyle as long as you keep it non-sexual.

This post was edited