Box Wine

Seriously, as a new member to this group I must confess, as much as I love wine, and probably because I love wine so much, I drink a lot of Botta Box red varieties. It's like less than 20 bucks for a 3 liter box. Don't get me wrong, I still love to taste test reds anytime I can. And I can tell the difference. I tend to prefer the drier wines over sweetness. But being an every evening wine drinker, $20 to $30 a night would kill the retirement plan right off the bat. There, I've come clean and I feel better for it :-)

This topic was edited
RE: Box Wine

I heard that there are some good boxed wines and I would not be
ashamed to say ... I drink boxed wine! I haven't had any yet and
maybe after I start drinking a bit more of the wine we already have
in our racks ... I'll buy a boxed wine and give it a try!

I'm reminded of a story; A nude resort/hotel we used to visit quite
frequently, for over 18 years, The Terra Cotta Inn in Palm Springs,
CA, had an afternoon social hour. Red and Blush wine and finger
foods were served at 4pm each afternoon. With the amount of guests,
the expense of serving up $20 bottles of wine would be cost
prohibitive. The owners served boxed wines.

One afternoon, this snooty guy had had plenty to drink prior to the
afternoon wine and was complimenting the wine he was just poured by
the owner, while bobbing around in the pool. He was swirling the
red wine in the plastic glass and then looks up at the owner and
says ... "this is great wine. What year is it?" The other
regulars in the pool looked over at the owner waiting for his
answer. The owner's answer ... "I'm not sure. I'll have to look at
the box!"

To their credit ... others in the pool held their laughter! ;-)

This post was edited

One of our local winemaking cooperatives (Les Vignerons d'Alignandu Vent - Neffies en Cotes de Thongue) isoffering 10 liter bags in box of various reds androses at 17 euros (approx 19 USD) each. 10 liters isjust over 14 bottles so you can work out the price per bottle. Andthe quality is usually excellent. The problem is that a normalhousehold just can't get through 10 litres before the wine startsto deteriorate, so this is essentially for party people.WOW. $19 US for 10 liters of French wine?. Heck, if I were you I'd bottle, cork and store it!

This post was edited

That is an amazing price. Here in the U.S. I think Boone's Farm or Mogen David (Mad Dog 20/20) wine is the least expensive. Comes in the gallon jugs. But even I can't enjoy that wine. I'm glad I do have my lower cutoff of acceptability! The Bota Box brand is really pretty good. Not too sweet. I think the Shiraz is the most palatable.

This post was edited

It seems that more wineries are abandoning the traditional glass bottle for boxes and also foil pouches. I've had several that were quite good and others that I'm happy not to drink again. But it is a taste thing, everyone's taste is different. Just as many wineries are no longer using corks to cap their bottles. Personally, I enjoy it when the bottle comes with a screw cap. It's easier for aging hands.
All of this is innovation that should be embraced. Let's not stay tied to the staid bottle. Lift a glass and salute the box and screw (cap).
Dave

This post was edited

I've just returned from spending five weeks in Scandinavia. Came across wines in a small foil pouch, about the equivalent of an 8 or 10 oz. glass, so you could even carry it in your pocket if out walking! Haven't run across that in the US, a nice variation on "boxed" wine.

This post was edited

I've just returned from spending five weeks in Scandinavia. Came across wines in a small foil pouch, about the equivalent of an 8 or 10 oz. glass, so you could even carry it in your pocket if out walking! Haven't run across that in the US, a nice variation on "boxed" wine.Damn ... I love that idea! Great for the beach!!! I usually take a bottle of wine in a container. It would be much better to have these pouches that I can throw away before trekking up the trail!

This post was edited

"I will drink no wine before it is opened and that goes for boxed wine, too!" I cannot tell a lie...I borrowed that line from my 'pseudo' wine snob father in law. But it still holds. John.

This post was edited

I can't add anything about 'wine based' sauces...but do use a little (or more) Franzia box Merlot in several of my cooking adventures. It does seem to add a little flavor to whatever I'm making and everyone comments on how good they taste...I'm going to keep on keeping on...

This post was edited
RE:Box Wine

I bought a box wine while on a surfing trip in Costa Rica. Wasn't a huge fan of it. I drink wine every night. Usually 2-8 oz glasses of Shiraz from Trader Joes. $3 bucks a bottle. Doesn't break the bank and I prefer it over some more expensive wines. Lindeman's gives me a headache. I think it's the sulfites in it.

This post was edited
RE:Box Wine

My ex-wife was box wine.
My trade-up always rates 93 points or higher, depending on the year! :-)

This post was edited