RE:To compliment or not, gay vs straight.

If a person cannot take a compliment, then that is their problem.
It seems people have a hard time talking any more. They prefer to text or tweet or what have you. So their social skills may be lacking refinement and if they respond overly negative towards an innocuous compliment; don't let it get to you.

Stay Naked!

This post was edited

In North America complimenting is a lost art. People do no know how to compliment in a non sexual way. I compliment men on this site quite frequently, but because of the abundance of gay males on this site I preface with " I'm a straight male who is not afraid to complement other males" Because if I do not set the tone straight it will be perceived as a come on. I'm not here to hook up....I'm a Nudist. Just here to make like minded friends, gay and straight , men and women. For what it's worth.
Rob

This post was edited

A compliment is a pleasant gesture to another person and in my mind something positive in nature and something to be taken a face value and nothing more, or less. Having said that, at my advanced age of 71, almost 72, I get my fair share of compliments and yes, I appreciate them. It has been my habit for a number of years to compliment other people who I believe take care of their bodies. A little bit of positive input to anyone is good for their self esteem. Might I add, that if you cannot compliment then just wish whoever a pleasant day.

This post was edited

Here is a bit of a twist on the subject. The first thing I notice about a person is their eyes. Over the years I have complimented women that I just met and in some cases just seen , like in a restaurant, And told them they have beautiful eyes. While traveling I just met a man while zip lining who I knew I would not see again. He had beautiful eyes but I hesitated to tell him that and didn't. Now I kick myself it should not matter what sex a person is, go ahead and tell them. Think about it, wouldn't tou enjoy hearing it come out of the blue?

This post was edited

I'm certainly not going to turn down a compliment no matter who is sending it my way. That's human nature.

This post was edited

I'm certainly not going to turn down a compliment no matter who is sending it my way. That's human nature.

I like your hat.

This post was edited

I understand the OP's dilemma: He wants to give a compliment without seeming creepy. It seems like we agree that a sincere compliment is welcome and appreciated. The problem is that we don't want our compliments to be misinterpreted as a sexual advance or a come on, if they are not.

Speaking for myself, I always like compliments. I occasionally get one here on TN or elsewhere that I think might cross the line into inappropriateness. I generally accept even the potentially rude compliment with grace. If the person makes no more comments that are inappropriate, I realize that it was my mistake. Generally the insincere ones "out" themselves pretty quickly, and get dropped.

Nothing wrong at all with a sincere compliment, in my book.

This post was edited

Good afternoon men,Just a general question of interest, at least to me, that I would like throw out there and see what comments come back.I have spent a better part of 30 years working in theatrical costuming industry and general sewing. A large part of my work is spent on observing the body in all it's form and directly moving the body as I do fittings and such. As a result I have been a keen observer of all body shapes and sizes, indiscriminately of it's gender.Since I have found this site, I have spent my spare time looking at photos and observing the differences from people to people. I pass no judgement but I look at them with, very often, the question of how would I fit this person or body. What would I do with such a long torso and short legs, or what would I do to adjust the length of the sleeve for what appears to be very long arms and such.I also observe that people have bodies that would fit better in certain historical context rather than others.Ok, Ok, Ok, now I know that this was a long preamble, but here is my question.Being an observe as mentioned, I sometime like to sent a compliment to people when I find their physiques interesting. I make no mention of anything sexual, but just a general, you are well put together and aren't you lucky, kind of sentiment to both men and woman.But here is the but, I'm never very sure on how straight men would react to this. Being gay I'm always a little hesitant to send a compliment since it has been my experience in the past ( no reflection on the men of this site so far, since I've really only been active in the last month or so, despite being on the site for a few years), that some men think that I just want to get to have sex with them. Now, that may have to do with being on some other site not necessarily devoted uniquely to nudism. I have complimented a few men in the past since observing that many men of a certain age are certainly a far cry from being decrepit as the youth movement would have us believe and do inspire still that one can better their physical condition despite their advanced years. Thoughts ? Comments ? Perspectives ?Best regards.

I have been complemented by a few guys and one female regarding my butt on my profile picture and let me say this, THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU. A compliment is something that should make you happy so return the favor with a smile and a grateful thank you. It shouldn't matter who's giving it.

This post was edited

As a single dad, compliments are a rare strong tool at my disposal in raising sons. Heres what I think makes a useful, take-to-heart compliment: 1) it should be specific 2) it should be demonstrated by actions, choices and lifestyle decisions and 3) it should include a personal impact. That may sound more like a thesis than a compliment, but if you give even a short compliment from that place, it will be more meaningful to the receiver. Nice abs. Now its time for me to hit the gym, too.

This post was edited

great advice StoneAndy about compliments / you are very wise/ thank you for sharing / namaste / hugs

This post was edited