What does looking like a seal and having a full body tan, NOT have in common!

There has been a reise in shark attacks in the rest of the world vs. the United States here is the link to the reasons why.
Go to: https://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/travelnews/2012/02/120210-shark-attacks-deaths-fatalities-science/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+ng%2FNews%2FNews_Main+%28National+Geographic+News+-+Main%29

If the link does not work by clicking on it, ( it is quite long), copy and paste it.

Reasons for attacks
Sharks are apex predators in their environment[20], and thus have little fear of any creature they cross paths with. Like most sophisticated hunters, they are curious when they encounter something unusual in their territories. Lacking any limbs with sensitive digits such as hands or feet, the only way they can explore an object or organism is to bite it; these bites are known as exploratory bites[21]. Generally, shark bites are exploratory, and the animal will swim away after one bite[21]. For example, exploratory bites on surfers are thought to be caused by the shark mistaking the surfer for the shape of prey[22]. Nonetheless, a single bite can grievously injure a human if the animal involved is a powerful predator like a great white or tiger shark[23].
Despite a few rare exceptions[24] [25], it has been concluded that feeding is not a reason sharks attack humans; as stated on Howstuffworks.com, "Humans are not on the menu. In fact, humans don't provide enough high-fat meat for sharks, which need a lot of energy to power their large, muscular bodies"[22].
Sharks normally make one swift attack and then retreat to wait for the victim to die or exhaust itself before returning to feed. This protects the shark from injury from a wounded and aggressive target; however, it also allows humans time to get out of the water and survive[26]. Shark attacks may also occur due to territorial reasons or as dominance over another shark species, resulting in an attack[27].
Sharks are equipped with sensory organs called the Ampullae of Lorenzini that detect the electricity generated by muscle movement[28]; another theory is that the shark's electrical receptors, which pick up movement, pick up the wounded signals of fish from someone who is fishing or spearfishing, and thus attack the person by mistake[27]. Great white sharks can also smell blood in saltwater, even at a ratio of 0.16 oz per 3.3 cu. ft (5 ml per 1 m3).
George Burgess, director of the International Shark Attack File, said the following regarding why people are attacked: "Attacks are basically an odds game based on how many hours you are in the water"[29].
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Prevention
While there is no way to completely eliminate the possibility of a shark attack when you are in the water, one may take precautions such as:[30]:
avoiding the water at dawn, dusk, or night, when sharks tend to feed;
avoiding areas where sharks generally locate themselves, such as murky waters and steep drop-offs
avoiding swimming alone, always being near a group of people, and if possible, avoiding being at the edge of the group;
refraining from excess splashing or movement;
preventing pets from entering the water;
avoiding shiny jewelry, tan lines and/or bright clothing, all of which can attract sharks;
avoiding entering water if bleeding from an open wound or if menstruating;
avoiding areas where the remains of fish have been discarded into the water, such as near fishermen cleaning their catch.
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Now the answer to the full body tan. Studies have found that wearing gray in the water makes you look seal like in color. Avoid wearing water gear that has gray in the body and a contrasting color on the arms. Another study found that people having contrasting tan lines were also at a higher risk of a shark mistaking a person for their normal prey. Therefore, True Nudists, when people ask you why you sun in the all together, you can tell them you are protecting yourself from shark attack.
Peter

Don't be shark bait.

This topic was edited
RE: What does looking like a seal and having a full body tan, NOT have in common!

Interestingillustrationof human surfer, sea turtle and sea lion. A good and concise report on causes andpreventionalso. Well done.

This post was edited
RE: What does looking like a seal and having a full body tan, NOT have in common!

Very well done and I hope it saves a lot of lives.

This post was edited

Another good reason to be a nudist. Thanks!

This post was edited

well done... just have to add. more ppl die from bee stingsthan sharks.

LOL, Exactly true. More time spent around bees than sharks. Thanks, I will write about my experience with hornets.

This post was edited

Great thread Rock.

This post was edited

Peter, thank you for the tips on how not to be shark bait.

My husband has been insisting on watching "Shark Week". I am now terrified to go in to the water. Any water. Won't even go in the silly little 12'x3' blow up pool. (Yes...there was a shark in it. Stupid kids and their toys!)

3 weeks ago friends of ours invited us for an afternoon and evening on their boat in LI sound. It was wonderful swimming at night, the water was clear, the phosphorous was glowing - twinkling like underwater fireflies. They invited us again. I've been googling "shark sightings/attacks in LI Sound".

I'm being unreasonable, I know.

Jen

This post was edited
RE: What does looking like a seal and having a full body tan, NOT have in common

Interesting comparisons. No way would I be caught on a surfboard. I'm a good swimmer, but I have poor coordination.

I am well aware of bee stings - I'm allergic

This post was edited
RE: What does looking like a seal and having a full body tan, NOT have in common

Does anyone think it may get worse with the oil spill killing so much life in the gulf.

This post was edited

Good post, rock. Out there in the ocean, humans drop a bit on the food chain. Taking some of the advice you presented helps. Then again, if the shark is really hungry, better hope your affairs are in order. Depending on your location, even swimming in lakes can be dangerous. It was not too long ago a woman swimming in a lake at a Florida nudist resort (forget which one) was attacked by an alligator. Afterwards, she was quoted as saying form now on she'll confine her swimming to a pool. Good idea - but will never hurt to check in there first too!
Mike

This post was edited

Bump
I only swim in a fresh water lake which is free from predators.

This post was edited