RE:Troubling nudity trend in Germany

I've not noticed it decreasing anyway in particular. Paris had a Nude Park at the end of this summer. London had a naked restaurant (The Bunyadi) that will hopefully return soon. My friends in Berlin say that being naked in public parks is still common. I think general interest is much the same as it always has been.

This post was edited

Social media is a problem in today's world. Be spontaneous and it's recorded for eternity for the whole world to see with filters, etc. perhaps but it leaves people feeling exposed and vulnerable. At some point people will learn to live with it enough to set up healthy boundaries and safe zones but for now it's the wild world wide west.

This post was edited

I think it is more complicated than left vs right - in the USA.In Europe, I think the decline is very much tied to Muslim immigration. The governments in Europe seem bent on accommodating and not offending the migrants - at the expense of their own citizens & culture. Islam has very clear and strong teachings against nudity, so the incoming people both have that culture and push that culture on others. And now it's reached the point where Muslims are holding positions of political power and influence. Bye bye traditional nudity.In the USA the "right" ("conservative" "Christians") have a strong bent against sexual immorality, and nudity = sex, so nudity is bad. From the "left" there is a strong desire to "protect" and not "offend", and nudity (especially male nudity) is seen a sexually aggressive and that is something we just can't have. Yes, the "right" has a libertarian - let people do what they want - wing, and the "left" has a nature & Gaia and tolerate people who are different wing. But those wings aren't nearly as strong & influential as the the power grabbing, controlling wings.
You made a lot of good points. Overall, think you pretty much hit the nail on the head.

This post was edited

I think it is more complicated than left vs right - in the USA.In Europe, I think the decline is very much tied to Muslim immigration. The governments in Europe seem bent on accommodating and not offending the migrants - at the expense of their own citizens & culture. Islam has very clear and strong teachings against nudity, so the incoming people both have that culture and push that culture on others. And now it's reached the point where Muslims are holding positions of political power and influence. Bye bye traditional nudity.In the USA the "right" ("conservative" "Christians") have a strong bent against sexual immorality, and nudity = sex, so nudity is bad. From the "left" there is a strong desire to "protect" and not "offend", and nudity (especially male nudity) is seen a sexually aggressive and that is something we just can't have. Yes, the "right" has a libertarian - let people do what they want - wing, and the "left" has a nature & Gaia and tolerate people who are different wing. But those wings aren't nearly as strong & influential as the the power grabbing, controlling wings.

This sounds accurate to me. I am not in Germany and I can't speak to the Muslim comments as it hasn't been my experience. I do see the trend in the United States becoming more and more conservative toward nudity. I will say that as far as the comment about Muslims, I go to a Russian sauna where I see Muslims nude every week. They wear bathing suits in the sauna where most everyone else is nude, but they change and shower nude with all the other nude men. I have talked with them about their views on nudity and they are not offended that we are nude in their presence. They just choose to be discreet with their own level of exposure. They grew up in American culture, they just observe their own more reserved customs around nudity. I agree that there are views and actions on all parts of the political spectrum that probably influence some social views of nudity. I do think there is a stronger conservative influence to suppress and control nudity than there is any liberal influence to ban it. But liberals don't promote it enough either. I have seen, in my lifetime, the United States conservatives, sometimes in the name of returning America to some imagined idealized time that never actually existed, react with intolerance toward nudity. It was during the conservative "Reagan Revolution" in the 1980s that schools closed group showers. Those same years private gyms and health clubs removed jacuzzis and saunas from locker rooms and the towel dance became the norm among young men in locker rooms. I have always assumed it was in reaction to what was and is still labeled as the too free and easy lifestyles promoted during the "radical 1960s" and "liberal 1970's" counter cultures. They were going to bring back conservative ideals to the masses. Then, after the liberals in (Bernie Sanders's and Patrick Leahy's) Vermont made nudity legal throughout that state, it has been the conservatives who year after year threaten to pass new laws to ban nudity. They are always claiming it promotes a sense of immorality. They have succeeded in some communities by passing local anti-nudity ordinances where none ever existed before the public nudity laws were enacted. Nothing is ever a one way street and no one group is completely responsible. I just hope Germany and the United States eventually move back toward openness and tolerance and away from banning and tightening down on social behavior.

This post was edited

If you lie then repeat that lie over and over again, people start to believe that lie is the truth. It does not matter what the facts are, in the end those with money and those who vote get what they want.

This post was edited

You cant say merry Christmas and longer without someone being offended.

Ive heard Trump and others claim this and its been a topic of discussion a number of times with friends and others. Not a single person Ive talked to or my wife and I have ever run into anyone being offended by someone saying Merry Christmas. I bet you could count on your fingers the number of times its actually happened. Another false claim by Trump about as valid as his complaints about toilets where you put the same stuff he spews.

This post was edited

I agree. I find myself feeling uneasy about not being able to control who's sharing pics of me. Work might not ask questions and just fire.

This post was edited

I grew up religious and their control on sexuality, nudity (non-sexual), the war on drugs, etc., is appalling. It isn't just at the individual level but extends to our laws. Its influence is even in our schools...

This post was edited

You cant say merry Christmas and longer without someone being offended.Ive heard Trump and others claim this and its been a topic of discussion a number of times with friends and others. Not a single person Ive talked to or my wife and I have ever run into anyone being offended by someone saying Merry Christmas. I bet you could count on your fingers the number of times its actually happened. Another false claim by Trump about as valid as his complaints about toilets where you put the same stuff he spews.

It all depends on what part of the country.

For example, I recently drove from Florida back to California with stops along the way. People in Alabama, Louisiana, Mississippi, and Texas had no trouble saying "God bless you". One Sam's club, the lady who checks the receipts as you leave said "God bless you" in the most kind, sincere manner ever. Very refreshing!

However, here in California, a store employee who once said "God bless you" to a departing customer was fired because the customer complained to the manager that the lady was "shoving her religious agenda down their throat" or similar.

Also here in California, the store employees were all saying "Happy holidays" instead of "Merry Christmas". I would correct them every time, and you could just see the looks on their faces, like I was the crazy one.

One last thing...

Stop with the President Trump bashing already!!! I'm sick of it. Keep your leftist politics to yourself and I will keep my right-wing politics to myself.

Remember, about half the US voted for Trump. People on the left are not a vast majority, so stop assuming everyone else agrees with you.

This post was edited

^^^^ Like^^^^^

This post was edited