how , where, when do you read?

To get to know one another a bit better. Here are a few questions.

First how. real paper books or the new fangled ebooks?

where is your fav place to read? curled up in bed, sitting in a comfy chair?

when? time of day , weekends only? vacations only?

throw in any other info you think we might enjoy knowing.

thanks

This topic was edited
RE:how , where, when do you read?

I use physical books, audiobooks, and electronic books. I usually have several books or magazines going at a time - a physical book for bedside reading before I go to sleep, an audiobook for my commuting and driving time, and both physical and ebooks at various times during the day. Currently I've got a science fiction magazine (physical), an e-book Western, an e-book on WWI submarine warfare, an old fantasy book on audio (She, by H. Rider Haggard), and a physical collection of the best articles from the Garand Collectors Association journal.

Most of my audiobooks come from Librivox.org, and at least one of my ebooks will be from Gutenberg.org. Both sites have made a lot of older books available for free, and they're well worth keeping an eye on, with new offerings showing up weekly if not daily.

This post was edited

I like real paper books, that said I will read anything that is well written in any format. There is just something settling about turning the pages. The smell of a library or old bookstore is wonderful. I like to read sitting outside but again I will read about anywhere, including while riding on a road trip. Anytime anyplace is a good time for a book break. I just finished A Discovery of Whitches,, back to Jim Butchers Dresden Files while waiting for Kevin Hearn to get another Iron Druid published. See a theme there, yeah I like to escape the present "real" every day world. Read lots of manuals for work, but that's work! I like books on CD for solo roadtrips, but really not as pleasurable as really reading the paperback. I used to read magazines but they seem just a infomercial nowadays, Backwoodsman magazine is still a good read.

This post was edited

my own habits.
have used Kindle and its ilk a few times to read an article. But books must be paper, hardback or paperback does not matter.
Like others mentioned the feel and smell are part of the experience. I have read that folks who read paper retain 30% more than e-readers and part of that reason might even be smell.

when? at bedtime is my primary, I simply can't fall asleep by putting my head on a pillow. My mind races until i get focused on to one thing.
That one thing is a continuous story line in a book. So magazine articles of short length don't cut it. Those get read while dining solo or while watching TV.
But I read anywhere else i can too. i can read in moving cars, trains, planes, even boats, or like today on the end of the dock enjoying the summer like weather we are having in mid-May.

Curled up in bed, but like i relate above most anyplace will do.

This post was edited

I love to read and it is usually real books. I can go through four or five library books in a week. I also have "Talking Books" from when I was legally blind and I listen to them when my eyes get tired. I usually read in bed just before going to sleep, but a good book can keep me "unsleepy" for hours. The talking books don't quit if I should nod off so it is a bit of a hassle to figure out where I was .

This post was edited

I really like fantasy novels, HG Wells, Jules Verne, Edgar Rice Burroughs, Frank Peretti, Stephen Donaldson etc. I still have my hardback Tolkien books I bought back in the early 60's. k.
Burroughs, I think I have every book he wrote and a two vol set of a bibliography about him. Have read all but some of 20 odd Tarzan books. Got and read all of Wells too. My Donaldson collection is not as complete. Mine were bought in the 70s, the books I bought in the 60s were children ones. Thanks for stirring up memories.

This post was edited

I love to read good books. Finding the time has become a challenge of late however. Where? Often find time at work on my lunch hour or Saturdays when I can finally be alone nude on the deck for a spell or in the house without interruptions .I really like fantasy novels, HG Wells, Jules Verne, Edgar Rice Burroughs, Frank Peretti, Stephen Donaldson etc. I still have my hardback Tolkien books I bought back in the early 60's. I like mysteries from Doyle to Caleb Carr and especially any of those that take place in the 1800's. One I read recently was "The Meaning of Night" by Michael Cox. it was riveting!Must admit though I'm a huge fan of Hemingway too! He wrote the same way that people talk.

I've noticed that both Librivox.org and gutenberg.org have lots of mysteries from the late 1800s/early 1900s that I'd never heard of. If you enjoy audiobooks or have an e-book reader or app, those two sites can supply a goodly number of mysteries from that time period.

This post was edited

Real books at the beach, otherwise ebooks using Kindle app on my ipad or phone. I travel a lot and am a minimalist in what i pack, and before ebooks i would finish a book on a trip and have on hand to pick up, so ebooks solved that problem! Now i can read on one device at home or on a plane, or pick it up on my phone whenever i have a few free moments.My books are always with me!

I'm like Atldavis, always in the midst of at least two books, something to learn from and something to pull my mind out of this world.

I tend to read on planes and at lunch and to put myself to sleep.

This post was edited

I read hard back and paper back books. I listen to books on tape and on CD. I read at home, the library and at nudist resorts or any quiet place. The only time I don't read is when I am at work. I read several trade magazines on different subjects.

This post was edited

I read whenever I get a chance. Bank lines, lunch break,traffic jams and at home of course. All real books, used mostly. I can't stomach ebooks or any extended reading online. My sustained reading is on weekend mornings when I can read and not fall asleep. I have a nice nook in my library that I like to read in. I read almost exclusively non-fiction but I am making my way through Burton's translation of A Thousand Nights and a Night-six volumes! I will post pictures of my library at present.

This post was edited

I got the 1001 Arabian Nights from Project Gutenberg - 16 volumes in ebook format. I haven't had a chance to start reading them yet, though.

This post was edited