Nudism vs. Exhibitionism

Hello all,

I'm new but saw where someone was politely reprimanded for posting something the respondent termed was "exhibitionist". In my opinion, there is at least some exhibitionist tendencies in being nude in all circumstances. Even when in private while simply in the house or sleeping alone there is, if not a sense of exhibitionism, at least fantasy. Yes, the sense of freedom but also the thought of voyeurism and being seen. At least that's me. Thoughts?

This topic was edited
RE:Nudism vs. Exhibitionism

I agree fully I am a bit of an exhibition ist

This post was edited

I disagree. I could care less if Im seen or not except where I specifically do not want to be seen such that it would get me in trouble. Nudism is purely comfort and enjoyment of the world around us sans clothing. Exhibitionism is as you say where one wants to or at least fantasizes that they are seen. Yes, someone could be a nudist and have exhibitionist tendencies or whatever but that is exhibitionism *and* nudism, not nudism.

This post was edited

It all boils down to intent. What are your intentions when being nude. The answer to that question is especially important when you think about how you want others to interpret your nudity. Exhibitionist to me are not naturist. Exhibitionist use their nudity to shock, offend, and make people uncomfortable with their nudity. They find joy in putting people in a compromising situation. That is not what naturism is about. As naturist, one should never use their nudity to make others feel something negative. I especially frown upon those who KNOWINGLY use their nudity to offend and violate. I find exhibitionists arent kind people and are very self absorbed. I'm a naturist. My nudity is for my own comfort and joy and I like to share that experience with those who are comfortable with it. I do not push my nudity onto unsuspecting people. When Im nude, I want those to feel comfortable around me and feel they can interact with me the same way they interact with a clothed person.

Now, do I like to be seen nude? Thats not really a thought process for me. I dont go around want to be seen or gawked. I dont fish for compliments or fish for reactions.

I'm also not a voyeur. While I enjoy seeing people living their life in the nude, I enjoy the experience of seeing people do every day thing in the nude. The nudity isn't what catching my attention. What is catching my attention is their ability to be comfortable in their nudity and carry on. Thats how I interpret it and thats how I want others to interpret my nudity.

I will say that I enjoy seeing fit nude bodies. I myself am into fitness and I enjoy interacting with those who also workout and have the body to shows it. Am I being voyeuristic? No. Im not staring at the person, Im not making rude comments, and Im not getting any sexual satisfaction. I do however enjoy seeing a fit body.

This post was edited

I believe that you don't have to be nude to be an exhibitionist. The designer dresses that show up at red carpet events that are see through except for a few opaque patches of cloth reek exhibitionism to me. The bikinis that just barely make that outfit legal are the same, and the very skimpy suits for men fall into the same category. I'm a nudist because I like the comfort. I don't go to public places nude, but I have no worries about being seen nude and would certainly welcome a culture that accepts nudity in appropriate places.

This post was edited

Kinda simple, imho. The exhibitionist wants/needs to be seen. The nudist couldnt care less. :)

This post was edited

Kinda simple, imho. The exhibitionist wants/needs to be seen. The nudist couldn't care less. :)

The thing is if a nudist walks through a town centre in the middle of the day is s/he an exhibitionist because s/he knows many people will see her/him nude. If the same person did the same walk in the early morning or late evening when the town is quiet it will be more of a nudist. It is down to a very small point what the dividing line is.

This post was edited

The thing is if a nudist walks through a town centre in the middle of the day is s/he an exhibitionist because s/he knows many people will see her/him nude. If the same person did the same walk in the early morning or late evening when the town is quiet it will be more of a nudist. It is down to a very small point what the dividing line is.

I dont think so. :). If the person goes to the town center wanting to be seen, thats exhibition. If the person is getting a cheap thrill at the thought of getting caught, thats exhibition. If the person does that just to get a jar of baby food, thats nudism.

This post was edited

The line between nudism and exhibitionism is probably crooked, wavy or meandering. With so many nudists having differing opinions on what nudism and exhibitionism means to them, you'll probably not get a true majority to agree exactly or that straight line some would like there to be.

If you're looking for opinions, you'll surely get many here but for me/us;

exhibitionism
[eksbiSHnizm]

NOUN
extravagant behavior that is intended to attract attention to oneself.
synonyms: ostentation showiness show showing off ostentatiousness pretentiousness pretension vulgarity conspicuousness obtrusiveness display flamboyance gaudiness [more]
psychiatry
a mental condition characterized by the compulsion to display one's genitals in public.

nudism (noodzm, nyoo-)
n.
The belief in or practice of going nude, especially in nonsexual social settings and as part of a conscious choice of lifestyle.

People can add to these definitions to fit their particular form of each but these definitions fit our opinions best. I've stated this before and have had some discussions with some here on TN that seem to think that what I do and how we live is somehow exhibitionist but quite frankly, they are wrong.

Di and I go about our life as we prefer to live. We live naked at home and do all we can around our property without purposely exposing ourselves to the neighbors. We've provided ourselves with as much privacy as we can but we don't hug the walls, we don't hide behind bushes. We don't purposely expose our naked body to anyone but we do go about living our lives and if someone sees us, we feel that it's exposing them to everyday, non sexual, non exhibitionist nudity. It's our hope that they'll see how we live as non threatening and possibly see and understand what nudism is. When we take road trips or if we are driving during a time when I am able, I'll drive naked. It's merely an extension of our nudist life at home that I carry into our vehicles. I drive naked because it's more comfortable and it's a state being or undress that I prefer. Taking all precautions not to be seen is evident that what I do is not exhibitionism.

This post was edited

100% total agreement with your last paragraph - well said!
. . . is the joy one can take in being seen in the context of social nudism's body acceptance. It's a powerful and affirming thing. It's how we support one another. Social nudism is more than it-feels-good-to-take-my-clothes-off.

This post was edited

Thanks Andy,

This post was edited