RE: Why is bra singular and panties plural?

Bra: woman's underbodice, abbreviated from the French brassire,"child's chemise; shoulder strap" (17c.). Modern use is a euphemistic borrowing in use in the garment trade by 1905. Use of singular form preserved throughout.Yes, of course! Short for brassiere, lol

For the same reason a "T" Shirt is singular and Levi's plural. And a headset is singular and sunglasses plural.
Err, "Levi's" is not plural. It is a brand name and the 's indicates ownership (ie. the pants belong to Levi, therefore, they are Levi's). Why wouldn't a T-shirt be singular? It is one item. All shirts are singular. A headset is singular because it is a SET of two earphones, again, it makes sense. And sunglasses is plural because there are TWO lenses, so once again, it makes sense. These examples are nothing like the OP's question.
Speaking of the OP's question, I don't know about the bra but am guessing the word "panties" evolved from the word "pants", sort of a mini version of pants. Since pants is plural (two legs), panties also remained plural. If it makes you sleep better, you can think of the two openings for the legs as the reason they are plural, lol
The bra may be singular for the same reason the headset is singular, it is a set of two cups.
A joke is a question, short story, or depiction of a situation made with the intent of being humorous. To achieve this end, jokes may employ irony, sarcasm, word play and other devices. Jokes may have a punchline that will end the sentence to make it humorous.
Did you ever walk into a mens store ask for a pair on levi's? I have.
That still doesn't make it plural. You could also ask for a pair of Calvin Klein jeans (if you can't find them on the shelf yourself, which is what I usually do).
22 hours ago

For the same reason a "T" Shirt is singular and Levi's plural. And a headset is singular and sunglasses plural.

Err, "Levi's" is not plural. It is a brand name and the 's indicates
ownership (ie. the pants belong to Levi, therefore, they are Levi's).
Why wouldn't a T-shirt be singular? It is one item. All shirts are
singular. A headset is singular because it is a SET of two earphones,
again, it makes sense. And sunglasses is plural because there are TWO
lenses, so once again, it makes sense. These examples are nothing like
the OP's question.
Speaking of the OP's question, I don't know about the bra but am
guessing the word "panties" evolved from the word "pants", sort of a
mini version of pants. Since pants is plural (two legs), panties also
remained plural. If it makes you sleep better, you can think of the two
openings for the legs as the reason they are plural, lol
The bra may be singular for the same reason the headset is singular, it is a set of two cups.

A joke is a question, short story, or depiction of a situation made with the intent of being humorous. To achieve this end, jokes may employ irony, sarcasm, word play and other devices. Jokes may have a punchline that will end the sentence to make it humorous.
What part of the above don't you understand? IT'S A JOKE.
A joke is only funny if it makes sense. Yours didn't. Don't quit your day job. ;)

This post was edited

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=morons+i%27m+surrounded+by+morons&sourceid=navclient-ff&rlz=1B3GGLL_enUS393US393&ie=UTF-8

This post was edited

Makes sense. Thank you, Judy ! ( Rudie is being too technical again ) Now, we know that if you toss a cat off the roof, it will always land on its feet. If you drop your toast after you've buttered it, it will always land butter side down, so... If you strap the toast on the cat's back butter side up...... Which way will that land ?

Looking for a cat to find out. LOL

Thomas...STAY AWAY FROM MY CAT!

Jen

p.s. great thread and great answers!

Have you all heard the story about Phillipe de Brassiere vs. Otto Titzling?

This post was edited

Chill out fellows! It's all started just for fun, whether a joke, humorous, or sarcasm! Let's just say a bra relates to "twice as nice" and panties are plural because of the "s"on the end! Maybe we could even say it like this......pant-tease!

This post was edited

Chill out fellows! It's all started just for fun, whether a joke, humorous, or sarcasm! Let's just say a bra relates to "twice as nice" and panties are plural because of the "s"on the end! Maybe we could even say it like this......pant-tease!
LOL! From now on we WILL be pronouncing it that way.

Jen

This post was edited

What a great sense of playfulness!!!

This post was edited

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=morons+i%27m+surrounded+by+morons&sourceid=navclient-ff&rlz=1B3GGLL_enUS393US393&ie=UTF-8
Now THIS is funny, considering who posted it! LOL

This post was edited

Noses run BECAUSE feet smell ...
I think I like the way this girl thinks !

This post was edited

Jen, SunSand, and the rest of you ladies that have commented......Thanks for the positive remarks! I was hoping no one would be offended when I hesitated to start the bra and panties topic! All in fun and humor was the intention of the topic!Maybe I will get a topic on the men's or"Jock's" forum and you ladies can join in on that one also....lol! Thanks again!

This post was edited

Well ask the French as both words come from that language!!!! BUt I think bra comes from Les Brassier (which is plural) and pants come from Le pantaloons (which is singular) go figure?

This post was edited